PDA

View Full Version : need an evil paladin build.

Korivan
2009-11-18, 02:35 PM
I've never made a paladin, let alone an evil version. Wondering what kind of class, feats, PrC to take.

We'll go with the following stats, 18, 16, 15, 15, 11, 10. probably human. looking to start at around level 10-12. Not worried about skill points. just feats and PrC to pull of a good, solid, uncomplicated "evil paladin".

Thank you.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-18, 02:40 PM
If you want to kep simple you can either use

a) blackguard prestige class from the DMG and possibly the SRD
b)Paladin of Tyrani/Slaughter: Variant base classes for Lawful evil and chaotic evil paladin respectivly (sp?)

JeenLeen
2009-11-18, 02:45 PM
So, Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter or a Paladin/Blackguard, or a class that works with that concept without going Paladin?

I'll assume Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter.

Int is a good dump stat for you, especially given that you have no stats that give a negative modifier. Cha is important for your Cha to AC and Smites.

For stats, I'd recommend:
18/16/15 - Str, Con, and Cha, depending on what you want to emphasize

15/11 - Will or Dex, depending on if you want more Dex to AC or better Will saves. Unless you hit very high levels or have high enough wealth to afford Mithral armor, I would recommend 11 Dex since you'd have a +1 max if using heavy armor.

10 - Int (Paladins don't use it)

I don't know what PrC or feats are good, as I've never run a Paladin, but I'm sure others can provide. I'd recommend looking at Complete Divine.
Edit: if allowed, BoVD has some excellent fighting classes. One gives full BAB and has an ability that lets you get two full attacks in one turn some amount of turns/day.

Also, what level of optimization do you want? That will shape people's responses.

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 02:47 PM
If you want to kep simple you can either use

a) blackguard prestige class from the DMG and possibly the SRD
b)Paladin of Tyrani/Slaughter: Variant base classes for Lawful evil and chaotic evil paladin respectivly (sp?)

Yes. Paladins should not be alignment restricted. They should follow a set code of ethics, regardless of exactly what that code entails.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-18, 02:57 PM
Important feats include Battle Blessing(free quicken on all spells) and Serenity(Wis instead of Cha for paladin abilities). If you take both of those, go with 18 Str, 16 Wis, 15 Con, 15 Dex, 11 Int, 10 Cha. Snag a Gal-Ralan(Fiend Folio) for a much cheaper Cloak of Resistance. Go with Mithral Heavy Armor when you can afford it, and you should be golden.

JeenLeen
2009-11-18, 03:01 PM
Important feats include Battle Blessing(free quicken on all spells) and Serenity(Wis instead of Cha for paladin abilities). If you take both of those, go with 18 Str, 16 Wis, 15 Con, 15 Dex, 11 Int, 10 Cha. Snag a Gal-Ralan(Fiend Folio) for a much cheaper Cloak of Resistance. Go with Mithral Heavy Armor when you can afford it, and you should be golden.

Where is Serenity from? That makes paladins so much less MAD.

For PrC: most advise to leave Paladin at 5th level at the latest. That way you have your nice paladin abilities and your mount, but can move on to a PrC that gives you useful abilities.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-18, 03:03 PM
Where is Serenity from? That makes paladins so much less MAD.Dragon, unfortunately. IIRC, 331.

Person_Man
2009-11-18, 03:48 PM
Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10: An 11th level Paladin who falls, and converts in 10 levels into Blackguard. Very strong for that particular ECL - full BAB, 4th level spells, etc.

Whatever 2-3/Hexblade 4/Blackguard X - Mettle, Cha *2 to most Saves, and a Familiar or another debuff effect, etc. The Whatever depends on your build goals. Barbarian for Pounce and Uncanny Dodge, Fighter for feats, Rogue for Evasion and more Sneak Attack, Totemist for a totem chakra bind, Marshal to get your Cha bonus to whatever you want, etc.

Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 4: Same as above, but without the Whatever. Less useful above ECL 8, since Paladin is a 4 level class if you multiclass.

Paladin of Whatever 20: Seriously. Take some Leadership type feat to improve your mount, and you're set. Someone else playing a Batman Wizard? Well now you have a Red Dragon as a Special Mount.

For feats, check out Drow of the Underdark, Complete Champion, and Sneak Attack feats. Tons of useful options.

Count Dravda
2009-11-18, 04:23 PM
You might pick up Awesome Smite, a tactical feat from the Complete Champion that gives you some sweet options in conjunction with your smite attacks. Or, if your DM allows it (and this is my preferred option) make a crusader from the Tome of Battle.

-Count Dravda

Nate the Snake
2009-11-18, 06:27 PM
Where is Serenity from? That makes paladins so much less MAD..

Dragon, unfortunately. IIRC, 331.

It's in Dragon Compendium too, if that helps.