PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beastman playable race?

Thurbane
2009-11-18, 08:07 PM
Hey all,

Is there an existing conversion of the Beastman (a Greyhawk race, presented in the 2E Complete Book of Humanoids as a playable race)?

http://i45.tinypic.com/s3lirt.gif

If not, here's what I've got so far (P.E.A.C.H.):

BEASTMAN CHARACTERS
Beastman characters possess the following racial traits.
+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
A beastman’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Low light vision.
+2 natural AC.
+8 racial bonus on Hide checks in forest environments.
SR ??.
Automatic Languages: Beastman. Bonus Languages: Common, Sylvan, Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
Favored Class: Ranger.
Level adjustment +?.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-18, 08:11 PM
Hey all,

Is there an existing conversion of the Beastman (a Greyhawk race, presented in the 2E Complete Book of Humanoids as a playable race)?

http://i45.tinypic.com/s3lirt.gif

BEASTMAN CHARACTERS
Low light vision.
+2 natural AC.
SR ??.
Automatic Languages: Beastman. Bonus Languages: Common, Sylvan, Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
Level adjustment +?.

Can you describe it better than that picture?
There is a monkey man in Stormwreck with +2 Dex. But they get swim/climb bonus not hide.

Thurbane
2009-11-18, 08:16 PM
Hmm, not sure how much I can legally post from the CBoH, so I'll just do a recap: they are forest-dwelling race, with a tech-level and society similar to early humans (cave men). They have excellent camouflage abilities in forest environments, and are quite resistant to spells (this came at the cost of being unable to use magic or magic items themselves).

Starbuck_II
2009-11-18, 08:24 PM
Hmm, not sure how much I can legally post from the CBoH, so I'll just do a recap: they are forest-dwelling race, with a tech-level and society similar to early humans (cave men). They have excellent camouflage abilities in forest environments, and are quite resistant to spells (this came at the cost of being unable to use magic or magic items themselves).

The only creature resistant to spells that can't use arcane/divine magic would be Karsite from pg 84 (Tome of Magic) They can use magic items though. They can supress magic items of the creature they attack(Creature gets will save to stop dispelling).
Also if their SR blocks a spell: they heal 2 hp/spell level stopped. Only SR 10 + level though.

Their is an adaptation of applying their abilities to another race though.
Maybe Goblin forestkith (they get huge hide bonus in trees in MM 3 I think). They get +4 hide in forests and can turn into a tree/shrubbery.

Thurbane
2009-11-18, 08:38 PM
The way their magic resistance worked was that it applied even to beneficial magic, and could not use magic items except for magical weapons. (Dwarves had similar 20% failure rate with magical items). Maybe best to drop that for 3.5, and just give them a straight SR rating.

I was basing their racial Hide bonus on a similar ability the Gargoyle gets against a background of stone.

vicente408
2009-11-18, 09:32 PM
I was really hoping for this thread to be about this guy. :smallfrown:

http://static.minitokyo.net/view/47/35/369297.jpg

Mongoose87
2009-11-18, 09:40 PM
Consider, perhaps, refluffing the shifter?

Asbestos
2009-11-18, 10:08 PM
I was really hoping for this thread to be about this guy. :smallfrown:

http://static.minitokyo.net/view/47/35/369297.jpg

Who the hell is that guy? Am I the only one that thought of this guy?

http://beastzilla.info/images/beastman.jpg

Starbuck_II
2009-11-18, 11:33 PM
Who the hell is that guy? Am I the only one that thought of this guy?

http://beastzilla.info/images/beastman.jpg

You don't know Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
That dude is Viral, enemy beastman (although he looks human).

Asbestos
2009-11-18, 11:51 PM

Yeah, well that other dude is Beast Man, enemy of He-Man. If your arch-enemy has the tagline "The most powerful man in the Universe" attached to him, I think that you rank pretty high on the Badassorometer.

Dexam
2009-11-19, 12:40 AM
The way their magic resistance worked was that it applied even to beneficial magic, and could not use magic items except for magical weapons. (Dwarves had similar 20% failure rate with magical items). Maybe best to drop that for 3.5, and just give them a straight SR rating.

Why not take a leaf out of the book of the 3.5 Ed Dwarves? Rather than SR, give Beastman characters a +4 racial bonus to saves against all spells, spell-like and supernatural abilies. Counter this with a racial (Ex) ability that gives them a -1 (or even -2) to any caster levels and UMD checks, to represent their poor magical ability.

Akal Saris
2009-11-19, 12:49 AM

Because so many of us know Gurren Lagann :P

To the OP, the mongrelman in the Races of Destiny might be close enough to what you want.

vicente408
2009-11-19, 01:26 AM
Because so many of us know Gurren Lagann :P

To the OP, the mongrelman in the Races of Destiny might be close enough to what you want.

It's actually very popular, on these boards certainly. :smallcool:

Asbestos
2009-11-19, 02:00 AM
It's actually very popular, on these boards certainly. :smallcool:
I'd wager that many more people have heard of He-Man :cool:

Thurbane
2009-11-19, 02:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I don't want a "close enough" race, I want a 3.5 conversion of the 2E Beastman as a playable race. :smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2009-11-19, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I don't want a "close enough" race, I want a 3.5 conversion of the 2E Beastman as a playable race. :smallwink:

Karsite with changes to physical looks (to look like beastmen) do fit though.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 09:14 AM
Hey all,

BEASTMAN CHARACTERS
Low light vision.
+2 natural AC.
SR ??.
Level adjustment +?.

If you don't give them SR, I wouldn't even give them an LA They seem fairly balanced to me.

EDIT: No, I haven't seen an officially published Beastman in 3.5e.

Telonius
2009-11-19, 10:38 AM
Sounds a little bit like a Skulk or a Dark Creeper. (Just finished with Shackled City's first chapter, they're on my mind).

Dixieboy
2009-11-19, 10:42 AM
Yeah, well that other dude is Beast Man, enemy of He-Man. If your arch-enemy has the tagline "The most powerful man in the Universe" attached to him, I think that you rank pretty high on the Badassorometer.

Not when you are comparing him to people who use galaxies as stepping stones.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 10:46 AM
Sounds a little bit like a Skulk or a Dark Creeper. (Just finished with Shackled City's first chapter, they're on my mind).

No, even Dark Creepers are cooler than 2e beastmen. I once played a Dark Stalker Fighter/Rogue/Assassin. Oh the (level adjusting) horror!

Asbestos
2009-11-19, 11:41 AM
Not when you are comparing him to people who use galaxies as stepping stones.

Having looked it up it looks like the standard nonsensical Magna/Anime set in the future involving space monsters that aren't really space monsters and a beyond terrible understanding of biology (e.g. Blue Gender or NGE) This one seems to set itself apart by having the mecha look like Anthropophagi. Color me unimpressed.

I haaave the poooooowerrrr!!!!

Thurbane
2009-11-20, 02:43 AM
I found a 3E conversion over at Enworld (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=467). :smallsmile: