PDA

View Full Version : Held ...Wield?

Loki Eremes
2009-11-18, 09:11 PM
Hi there again people!
2 questions in less than 24 hours....

well...
Magic Item Compendium, again

whats the difference between "HELD" & "WIELD"?
is there no difference between them?

here's an example =

MiC, pag 34
EAGER: +1 bonus
"an eager weapon can be drawn as a free action. When WIELDING it, you gain a +2 bonus on initiative checks and a +2 bonus on damage rolls made during a surprise round and the first round of combat."

MiC, pag 46
WARNING: +1 bonus
"a warning weapon gives you a +5 insight bonus on initiative checks as long as it is HELD"

for me..
HELD is when you carry along the weapon itself
WIELD is when you hold unsheatered the weapon in your hand.

what do you think?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-18, 09:17 PM
You are overthinking this.

tyckspoon
2009-11-18, 09:19 PM
They're the same thing in most situations. The only time I can think of when the difference is relevant would be when you're using something like a shield in one hand- you can *hold* an item in the same hand that is using a light shield, but you cannot effectively wield it (say you use sword and shield, but you carry around an Eager Warning dagger in the shield hand because you like having initiative. Warning would apply, but Eager would not, because you cannot wield the shield and the dagger at the same time.)

Loki Eremes
2009-11-18, 09:28 PM
im not overthinking it,
its not the same to have a sword in my hand unsheatered in front of the king than only sheathed.

erikun
2009-11-18, 10:22 PM
"Held" means that it is in your hand.
"Wield" means that it is capable of being used as a weapon.

You can hold a staff in one hand, but you cannot wield a staff in one hand. You can hold a dagger in the same hand as a small shield, but you cannot wield a dagger in the same hand as a small shield.

You can hold your maximum load over your head, but you cannot wield it.

Basically, you hold something in your hand, but you wield something as a weapon.