PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with my campaign plans (3.5)

Brendan
2009-11-18, 10:34 PM
I am planning out a campaign that I intend to play some time soon with my friends. However, although I have figured out most of the plot, there are a few key plot points I need to decide on.
The idea is that the start chronicles their rise from NPCs into the realm of PCs. They start as an adept, expert, aristocrat, or warrior and take it from there. one is an elven expert fletcher, another is a dwarven warrior blacksmith, another is a human adept chef, and the last is an afflicted were-orangutan half orc aristocrat librarian (just for the fun of it, and with random, not lunar or willing changes).
They can save up to be able to pay the adventurers who occasionally pass through to give them basic training, which effectively levels them up. This is only core, and perhaps ToB, and multiclassing is very frowned upon. Unless they can truly roleplay it, then they get some penalties.
They are in a small town in subarctic temperatures, and have been their whole lives. They are third level in their NPC classes.
Anyways, this is where I am not quite sure. I read something that I liked in another thread about inevitables, and think that some point after they are made into PC classes that they are chosen as lab rats for a high level powergaming wizard. While he is explaining his plan, time blurs, slows down and vibrates. It then resumes. Surrounding them are dozens of destroyed inevitables, and one very, very dead high level wizard. They then are chased after by mercenaries after they hear that they were the only ones to hear the wizards world dominating plan, and thus can be interrogated.
At first, they would fight to be subdued, but later, they can just be ressurected or spoken to if they die, so the mercenaries are much more harmful. It probably would end at high levels with an epic battle against the guy who sent the mercenaries and his first rate mega-monsters, and if possible, infernal overlord.
As well as this, there would be typical battles with other monsters and such just for fun.
The other idea is that after the training, an evil party rampages into town, sunders a few ancestral weapons, steals some gold, kills some mentors and overall causes meyhem. they must then hunt them down. My main concern with this one is that it would involve much more railroading. Maybe it would work as a sideplot at some point, but the first is probably the way to go.
What could I do to make the lans exciting and interesting?
What should I send?
and finally, what on all of this forum was deemed the most cheap and spell manipulating way possible to take over a plane/universe?