PDA

View Full Version : One of Death's many forms in my cosmology. Is my game's last bit of seriousness gone

Pika...
2009-11-18, 10:36 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/123320014426.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/IMG_1946760width.png

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/IMG_1948760width.png

'look upon thy kitten faced rider and despair, for know that your time of judgement hath cometh' Book of Steve Chapter ST Verse FU

Long story short:
- Lord Death is a major NPC in my cosmology. An Overdeity who reaps even the gods, and has say on when everything dies, though; he prefers to leave the living themselves decide how they kill themselves.
-Often when a PC is dying (-1 to -10) he will show up and talk to the dying PC. He is true neutral, so he has done everything from taunt and humilate the individual, and on VERY rare occasions given a tid bilt of aid (so far only as information). AKA the DM taunting the player a bit (with an occasional plot hook) :smallbiggrin:.
-Only the dying person who he is waiting for, and any divine caster (such as adepts) can see and hear him. However, he can choose not to be seen.
-To whoever sees him he appears as a skeletal (or the equivalent, such as insectoids she a carapace version) version of the male gender of their race. He usually wears a black robe in the style/art of the creature's race with a exceptions such as Dwarves seeing him in ancient weathered and battle beaten armor.
-He always carries a scythe, which is also usually decorated in the theme/art/style of the creature's race.

So anyway, I have been planning this conversion for a while, but it has taken about a year to find the right figure (I know, kinda long for a one-time joke >_>).

Next time Death comes to "reap"a PC he will apepar like this. Hopefully the PCs/players will be confused,at which point he will say "Oops. Wrong outfit... Oh well, might as well get to work.", then proceed to either continue mocking, or ideally add insult to injury as the player's PC gets reaped by a Hello Reaper. :smallbiggrin:

Thoughts? Comments? Any advice?

Assassin89
2009-11-18, 10:41 PM
I would say this form is better suited for people killed by housecats rather than any other cause. You could have death going to a cosplay convention, but then again Death once wore a skull mask.

erikun
2009-11-18, 10:44 PM
Hello Kitty doesn't look that skeletal to me.

Honestly, while a trickster death god isn't out of the question, that doesn't sound like what you have in your campaign. Death gods can be anything to cloaked judges of the dead to skeletal reapers to little girls in white dresses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad_of_a_Shinigami) to even guys in business suits. Whether it destroys the seriousness of your game depends on if you've characterized the deity this way before... and it looks like you probably haven't.

Enjoy your plunge into silliness. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2009-11-18, 10:56 PM

Honestly, while a trickster death god isn't out of the question, that doesn't sound like what you have in your campaign. Death gods can be anything to cloaked judges of the dead to skeletal reapers to little girls in white dresses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad_of_a_Shinigami) to even guys in business suits. Whether it destroys the seriousness of your game depends on if you've characterized the deity this way before... and it looks like you probably haven't.

Enjoy your plunge into silliness. :smalltongue:

Sorry, I am not sure what you said. Got a bit confused.

Are you asking how I have portrayed him during my games? Well, again he has become sort of a bit of comic relief, and a way for me as the DM to have some fun with the players. Although I have not made him look stupid or useless. While funny, and often relaxed/laid back (he often sits down and has long talks with PCs who are in the negatives wile battles finish), if insulted, annoyed, or if he just feels like it for some reason he makes his power and authority very clear. So basically, I guess I am trying to make him the poster child for TN.

erikun
2009-11-18, 11:32 PM
That isn't how I play my TN characters. :smallamused: Actually, it sounds like Grim from the new (PS2) Maximo games.

I still think that most people will find Hello Deathkitty a bit too silly. Then again, at my games, we have a BUNCH of silliness and are still able to enjoy a semi-serious campaign - we just know that "Joe Bob of Bobjoesville" is more of a joke than part of the campaign.

Actually putting Bobjoesville in the campaign world, though, gets rid of any serious the campaign had.

Barmacral
2009-11-18, 11:58 PM
Pika, you read Terry Pratchett? Your variant on Death (not the helly kitty one) seems to be somewhat akin to his...

Pika...
2009-11-19, 12:26 AM
Pika, you read Terry Pratchett? Your variant on Death (not the helly kitty one) seems to be somewhat akin to his...

No.

Can you please tell me more about why you relate them?!

Radar
2009-11-19, 03:55 AM
No.

Can you please tell me more about why you relate them?!
For starters Death is taking personal approach to his customers - he personally picks every dying being. He also likes to talk with the departed, while guiding them to their afterlife.

The difference is, that Death tries to be a good person and is very curious about human nature (also dwarven, troll etc.) to the point, that on his demiplane, he build a cozy little (on the outside - Death never grasped euclidean geometry well) house with a garden (everything in shades of black) and even adopted a girl.

His horse is called Binky (because it's a nice name). :smallsmile:

Shademan
2009-11-19, 04:06 AM
I say go for it. people tend to hallucinate when theyre dying. so when they se hello kytti riding a invisible pink unicorn.... well

Pika...
2009-11-19, 11:50 PM
For starters Death is taking personal approach to his customers - he personally picks every dying being. He also likes to talk with the departed, while guiding them to their afterlife.

The difference is, that Death tries to be a good person and is very curious about human nature (also dwarven, troll etc.) to the point, that on his demiplane, he build a cozy little (on the outside - Death never grasped euclidean geometry well) house with a garden (everything in shades of black) and even adopted a girl.

Thanks fr the info!

Surprisingly, I do see some similarities. I am not sure if that is a good r bad thing.

I say go for it. people tend to hallucinate when theyre dying. so when they se hello kytti riding a invisible pink unicorn.... well

anyone know where I can get a unicorn model to paint pink? :smallbiggrin:

mikeejimbo
2009-11-20, 12:38 AM

Actually, he doesn't have to go to every dying being, just some, to keep the whole thing going. Kind of like how kings don't have to personally come into your house and eat your food and watch your television.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-11-20, 12:42 AM
Actually, he doesn't have to go to every dying being, just some, to keep the whole thing going. Kind of like how kings don't have to personally come into your house and eat your food and watch your television.

If I was a King, I would make it my life's goal to do that to everyone in my realm.

Ecalsneerg
2009-11-20, 02:40 AM
Thanks fr the info!

Surprisingly, I do see some similarities. I am not sure if that is a good r bad thing.

Good. Pratchett is a god.

pasko77
2009-11-20, 03:17 AM

And he likes cats!
Come on, you forgot the most important bit! :)

Radar
2009-11-20, 05:45 AM
Yet, "WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?". Also remember that he made a point of cutting only a single straw with every swing of his scythe. Yes, he doesn't have to, yet he seems to want to be there for everyone (and since time happens to everyone except him, he can).

edit: yes, he likes cats - my mistake. Also: one has to see the swing, he build for his granddaughter - it explains a lot about Death.

Pika...
2009-11-20, 05:28 PM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Smilies/eek2.gif

I just got this. Damn, I really screwed up there...

There goes a year of searching.

RandomNPC
2009-11-20, 06:04 PM
Good. Pratchett is a god.

techinicaly he is a Knight, seeing as he was knighted on new years eve.