PDA

View Full Version : Football aka 2010 World Cup

Gaelbert
2009-11-18, 11:01 PM
So how many of you have been following the qualifying rounds and play offs?

I've tried, but here in America, despite the multiple thousand (possibly a little less, but still) television channels my family has access to, we Can't. Watch. Football. It's a little embarassing. I've been keeping up through BBC and friends and relatives who are blessed with a better package, but it's still not the same.

However.
This does not dilute my fury over the Republic of Ireland vs. France tonight. Ireland is my team, and I was really hoping they'd get a chance to go. To have played so well against France, to be so close, only to have it be cheated away from them by this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g4F5kxqI0c)?
I fully realize that even if France had not scored that last goal, Ireland could still have been eliminated. But it just seems terrible to me that they didn't get a sporting chance, when the odds were stacked against them already.
Oh well. Now I'll just have to pull for England or Germany or USA or whoever's is playing France.

Thoughts?

Raistlin1040
2009-11-18, 11:20 PM
I'm pulling for Germany and England, as always. USA is nice, but they're sort of a pity support "Oh, right, I'm American...er...go America...Don't humiliate us." I like France the country, but I'm on the fence about their team.

Shikton
2009-11-19, 06:39 AM
I'm gonna follow England, seeing as my country didn't make it. Hoping for Rooney+Owen as strikers personally.

And yes, I saw the Henry handball. I think it's horrible that, when you have 4 referees, none of them could see it. That's just not good enough. And the way France have played lately doesn't convince me they'd display better football than Ireland would.

No matter, I'm still looking forward to a great deal of fun! :) Except the local supporters, seeing as they're a really noisy lot with their weird horn thingies.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 09:01 AM
I haven't been keeping up with it lately due to other issues plaguing me, but I will be from now on.

And so you are forewarned when it comes to football I am a blind optimist, always have been. So no matter how terribly England play* we are always going to win it in the end. Thats just how it works :smalltongue:

*(and if I'm honest it will most likely be quite bad)

Winthur
2009-11-19, 09:08 AM
Despair.

The Polish performance during the Elimination games has left me in despair.

:smallannoyed:

SMEE
2009-11-19, 09:16 AM
This ain't 2006, when Brazil had players but no coach.
We'll get our 6th cup this time! :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2009-11-19, 09:17 AM
This does not dilute my fury over the Republic of Ireland vs. France tonight. Ireland is my team, and I was really hoping they'd get a chance to go. To have played so well against France, to be so close, only to have it be cheated away from them by this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g4F5kxqI0c)?
Thoughts?

My reaction to Henry goal.
:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:
I'm usually a big fan of ireland team, from football to rugby.

Well, leaving aside Italy, I'll stand for England... go Capello! (the italian trainer)

Cicciograna
2009-11-19, 09:18 AM
Despite being Italian I won't pull for my team...not only for my team, at least.
That's because I'm from Naples...and, you know...Maradona is my god... ARGENTINA!

Killer Angel, di dove sei?

BTW, I'm really mad for Eire - France, since I love Ireland and really appreciate Trapattoni as a coach.

Arlion
2009-11-19, 09:23 AM
^here in Argentina ,theres little hope because many dont see Maradona as a good coach,but the same was said when we won the 1986 World cup.I think thar Argentina has lots of chances,but the team needs to organize a little better

Thufir
2009-11-19, 09:27 AM
I just posted this in RB a few minutes ago, but I'll repeat it here: The final will be between England and South Africa. A guy from Ladysmith Black Mambazo told me. And that match will be won by whichever team's supporters sing better.

toasty
2009-11-19, 09:28 AM
The world cup? Eh... oh yes. Football, that sport everyone plays but I don't follow.

I actually don't mind watching the games, because it is really good football. Last tiem me and my friends stayed up late and watched the first 2 (?) games, that was fun.

Who am I rooting for? No one. America, by default, but everyone I talk to knows its kinda a joke...

That being said, we actually have a world cup team, which is more than most countries can say. :smallbiggrin:

Zar Peter
2009-11-19, 09:31 AM
Well, we were in the group with France and I feel pity for Ireland :smallfrown:
At least we got the third place.

So, being an Austrian I can't cheer for Germany (sorry to all Germans, I just can't) and Italy is out of any discussion (I love Italy as country but I hate Italian Football) so I cheer for Spain. It's their time, the way they won the European Cup was impressive (and they beat us yesterday 5:1 but I don't think that's really remarkable).

Also it's time for an european country to win the cup outside of Europe. GO SPAIN!

Killer Angel
2009-11-19, 09:47 AM
I just posted this in RB a few minutes ago, but I'll repeat it here: The final will be between England and South Africa. A guy from Ladysmith Black Mambazo told me. And that match will be won by whichever team's supporters sing better.

In a singing contest, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7xvegPH_Lw)'s my personal winner...

Whammydill
2009-11-19, 10:01 AM
Hand of God all over again? I hate what happened to Ireland. They need some sort of video-reinforcement for the refs or something, but that would just add a hideous amount of stoppage time.

On the otherhand, even if the goal was dissalowed, nothing is certain Ireland would have won. They got cheated of the chance though, it could have went to penalty kicks even.

Henry should be ashamed of that crap, what with his "clean" image and all.

@SMEE: Don't you guys have enough World Cup victories already!?!?!?

SMEE
2009-11-19, 10:04 AM
@SMEE: Don't you guys have enough World Cup victories already!?!?!?

There's no such thing as enough World Cup victories. :smalltongue:

Coplantor
2009-11-19, 02:17 PM
You know what I think? Brazil will get a new world cup.

Maradona sucks, yeah, he was an awesome player, but he is a terrible coach.
And guess whose country finally got into the world cup championship after beating Costa Rica only to be eliminated after the first game because we pretty much suck yet we fail to relize it? Yeah! Mine! Go Uruguay, if you lose miserably enough maybe people will stop beign so obsessed with soccer and pay atention to other sports too.

Telonius
2009-11-19, 03:23 PM
I'll be following the US (for awhile) and Germany (for awhile longer). Can't pick against Brazil when they're looking good at all, though, so no cup for either of my teams.

First time I ever felt ashamed at being of Italian heritage was in 2002, after that awful business with Ahn Jung-hwan. I won't be rooting for Italy until he gets an apology.

Cicciograna
2009-11-19, 03:29 PM
First time I ever felt ashamed at being of Italian heritage was in 2002, after that awful business with Ahn Jung-hwan. I won't be rooting for Italy until he gets an apology.

Excuse me? Why should he get an apology?

Telonius
2009-11-19, 03:48 PM
He was fired from his Italian team because he scored the winning goal against Italy in the World Cup. Absolutely childish on the part of the owner, IMO.

Cicciograna
2009-11-19, 04:07 PM
He was fired from his Italian team because he scored the winning goal against Italy in the World Cup. Absolutely childish on the part of the owner, IMO.

False. In that period he played in Perugia, and after the World Cup I admit that the president of that team, Gaucci (who, BTW, was not the best person in the world, as he has been judged guilty in more than one trial...) said words of fire against him, basically saying that "he would not pay the player who represented the ruin of Italian football".
But I suppose not many know that after this incident Ahn Jung-hwan was propose to renew his contract for five years, but he declined because he didn't want to argue with Perugia's president, who attacked him instead of congratulating him for his goal.

If there's someone that has all the rights to feel mad for that game, it's us Italians, for the scandalous direction of the referee Byron Moreno. That's what I'm talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkCLXd4SN9I&feature=related): please, watch carefully the first 3 minutes.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-19, 04:29 PM
Eh, I'l see.

Mainly because the streets will bleed orange, ears will be deafened, shops with orange/football stuff will be sold out and today is a sword day!

Wait.....Hmmm, well they're all true except the last one. Maybe.

But yeah, I'l know even if I don't follow it.
We dutch are reaaally nationalistic when it comes to football.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 04:34 PM
D-D, are the cookies on your jar warm, or smelly?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-19, 04:39 PM
Nommed!:smalltongue:

But nah, they are warm, fresh hot up from the oven!

Telonius
2009-11-19, 04:40 PM
False. In that period he played in Perugia, and after the World Cup I admit that the president of that team, Gaucci (who, BTW, was not the best person in the world, as he has been judged guilty in more than one trial...) said words of fire against him, basically saying that "he would not pay the player who represented the ruin of Italian football".
But I suppose not many know that after this incident Ahn Jung-hwan was propose to renew his contract for five years, but he declined because he didn't want to argue with Perugia's president, who attacked him instead of congratulating him for his goal.

I'm aware of that - but (at least as far as I'm aware) the offer of the money didn't come with an apology. I don't blame him for declining it.

Cicciograna
2009-11-19, 04:40 PM
Okay, now I crave cookies :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 04:47 PM
Nommed!:smalltongue:

But nah, they are warm, fresh hot up from the oven!

Glad to here it :smallbiggrin:

England really need to win this. Has been far too long :smallannoyed:

snoopy13a
2009-11-19, 06:06 PM

That's a lot better then what happens to the poor guy from Columbia who scored an own goal for the US in 1994 World Cup.

I'm rooting for the US but they'll probably go out in the 1st round. I hope that England and Holland (I like their style*) do well. I'm disappointed that Ireland lost like that, but what can you do...

*Obviously I like Brazil's style too but Brazil is too good for me to root for :smallsmile:

Slayn82
2009-11-19, 07:29 PM
Who am I rooting for? No one. America, by default, but everyone I talk to knows its kinda a joke...

That being said, we actually have a world cup team, which is more than most countries can say. :smallbiggrin:

This remembers me, Fifa has more associated countries than ONU...

And yes, in 2010 Brazil will become Hex Champion. Gogogogo, oraoraora wryyyyy!!:smallcool:

SMEE
2009-11-19, 07:30 PM
Well, remember that USA made it to the finals at the 2009 Confederations Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIFA_Confederations_Cup).
They played very well. I would expect more from them at this World Cup.

DraPrime
2009-11-19, 08:32 PM
Despair.

The Polish performance during the Elimination games has left me in despair.

:smallannoyed:

Indeed. Jestem bardzo niezadowolony.

Anyways, I'll probably end up supporting America, until they inevitably lose, and then I'll support Italy. Although I will refuse to support Germany, for beating Poland on its first match back in 2006. One last goal, scored in overtime, by a player of Polish descent (if I have been informed correctly). So unfair. :smallmad:

Mr. Mud
2009-11-19, 08:58 PM
Indeed. Jestem bardzo niezadowolony.

Anyways, I'll probably end up supporting America, until they inevitably lose, and then I'll support Italy. Although I will refuse to support Germany, for beating Poland on its first match back in 2006. One last goal, scored in overtime, by a player of Polish descent (if I have been informed correctly). So unfair. :smallmad:

Wahoo! Join the fanclub!

Mother Italy shall rise to another title :smallamused:.

But the USA will be disappointing, as usual... :smallfrown:

DraPrime
2009-11-19, 08:59 PM
Wahoo! Join the fanclub!

Mother Italy shall rise to another title :smallamused:.

But the USA will be disappointing, as usual... :smallfrown:

Heh, I hope Italy rises up. Personally, I hope another Frenchman headbutts one of them.

SMEE
2009-11-19, 09:01 PM
Italy will only gain the 5th cup in 2010 over the dead, broken bodies of Brazil's team players. :smalltongue:

I'll be supporting Brazil, USA and Germany as usual. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2009-11-19, 09:03 PM
Italy will only gain the 5th cup in 2010 over the dead, broken bodies of Brazil's team players. :smalltongue:

I'll be supporting Brazil, USA and Germany as usual. :smallbiggrin:

May I point out that the Brazilians didn't win last time? Anyways, I like to think that this time, Croatia will beat Brazil. In fact, they'll crush them. Because Croatia is cool. :smallcool:

d13
2009-11-19, 09:07 PM
You know what I think? Brazil will get a new world cup.

Maradona sucks, yeah, he was an awesome player, but he is a terrible coach.
And guess whose country finally got into the world cup championship after beating Costa Rica only to be eliminated after the first game because we pretty much suck yet we fail to relize it? Yeah! Mine! Go Uruguay, if you lose miserably enough maybe people will stop beign so obsessed with soccer and pay atention to other sports too.

POR FIN ALGUIEN LO DICE!

Ok, too much spanish for the forums ¿?

So, yeah... We've made it to the world cup championship, and we are going just to embarrass ourselves, but we love it, and we've loved it since the beginning of times ~

It's... Disappointing to have several (remarkable!) international players, that can't play as a team and do something useful when they play with the sky-blue shirt on...

@^: Croatia's shirt is cool, if you're OK with that :smalltongue:

@SMEE: Maracanazoooooooooooooo ~~ ¿? :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2009-11-19, 09:10 PM
@^: Croatia's shirt is cool, if you're OK with that :smalltongue:

Indeed it is, although Croatia isn't playing this year, so it doesn't matter. I think I'll support the Slovakians instead, since they're the closest thing to Poland.

The_JJ
2009-11-19, 09:10 PM
See, I can't rely on the USA to survive so I put my hopes on my other citizenship and swung for Sweden. I'm wearing the jersey as we speak.

Yeah, that worked out well.

Coplantor
2009-11-19, 09:12 PM
@d13: Dont mes with SMEE, she's scary when she gets angry...
And by the way, is Forlan our new Recoba?

Oh, and also, cool! Another uruguayan!

Slayn82
2009-11-19, 10:16 PM
@SMEE: Maracanazoooooooooooooo ~~ ¿? :smallbiggrin:

As a brazilian, i must ask, what do you mean? That game in 93, 2x0? It's the only one i remember, and i remember well.:smalltongue:

St.Sinner
2009-11-19, 11:24 PM
I haven't decided yet who I'm going to support. My tendency is to always root for an underdog. I quite liked Egypt in the Confeds Cup, and I was also supporting the US during those last few matches. I suppose I would support Australia in 2010, but not very zealously - I don't think they play very inspired football at all. Above all, I want a team to win that plays beautifully and is a joy to watch, so I'll wait a bit longer until I can find a relatively underdog team that is playing brilliantly to throw my support behind.

Gaelbert
2009-11-19, 11:52 PM
Above all, I want a team to win that plays beautifully and is a joy to watch, so I'll wait a bit longer until I can find a relatively underdog team that is playing brilliantly to throw my support behind.

Soooo... a skilled underdog? :smallconfused:
:smalltongue:

St.Sinner
2009-11-20, 12:49 AM
Precisely. Do you think that is a contradiction? I don't think so. Every World Cup year it seems, some team appears from the woodwork and performs a whole lot better than anyone expects them to. I was for Senegal in 2002, and I was impressed by Egypt in this year's Confederations Cup - up until they completely dropped the ball in their last couple of matches.

SMEE
2009-11-20, 01:54 AM
May I point out that the Brazilians didn't win last time? Anyways, I like to think that this time, Croatia will beat Brazil. In fact, they'll crush them. Because Croatia is cool. :smallcool:

Last time we had lots of star players without anyone to make them play like a team. :smalltongue:
Defeat was expected. But things are going to be very different this time. Oh, they will. :smallamused:

d13: 1950, eh? :smallmad: Yes, every Brazilian remember that one. Even those who weren't even born 59 years ago. :smallmad:

KjeldorMage
2009-11-20, 07:53 AM
Remember

Defense wins championships

FORZA AZZURI!

Atelm
2009-11-20, 08:06 AM
I'll be rooting for Germany, as I've done before, when the time comes. Although, I haven't been keeping tabs on the qualification matches as much as I probably should've.

Whammydill
2009-11-20, 08:43 AM
I am usually rooting for England or USA. Though I watched the friendly between Brazil and England and I have to say that Brazil was a much better side. Admittedly England is plagued by injuries at the moment but Brazil had much better pace and ball control, not to mention lightning fast counter attacks. They will be tough to beat in 2010. Kaka and friends are looking amazing.

Looks like this will be USA's strongest showing but they have alot of ground to cover to get to the top. England should have a strong chance if they can keep everyone healthy and keep their head in the game.

Morty
2009-11-20, 09:08 AM
One last goal, scored in overtime, by a player of Polish descent (if I have been informed correctly). So unfair. :smallmad:

A proof that Polish players can do well, only not in the national team.
Speaking for myself, what little interest I could have in the World Cup died with the Polish footbal.

d13
2009-11-20, 03:11 PM
As a brazilian, i must ask, what do you mean? That game in 93, 2x0? It's the only one i remember, and i remember well.:smalltongue:

I can't remember any of them, since I was 3 at that time, and don't remember much of that age, but history talks about a certain world cup in 1950... :smalltongue:

/E: Oh, SMEE said that. Didn't bother to read the rest of the comments when I found this one xD

Still... Hanging onto history is quite... Lame :smallannoyed:

PhoeKun
2009-11-20, 03:35 PM
Still... Hanging onto history is quite... Lame :smallannoyed:

...Why? History is part of what makes sports so exciting. Watching young talent develop and evolve into veteran players, seeing the rise and fall of powerful teams, the rivalries that build because of meetings between that happened on such and such a place at such and such a time... you're telling me none of this adds anything to the game? That it shouldn't matter to the players, or the fans?

It's Sports. This is all about getting very worked up about things that, when looked at objectively, don't really matter very much. That a game can rouse feelings in someone 50 years after the fact is a sign of passion. And when that one stalwart team that captured your heat but never the title finally comes through, victory is all the sweeter precisely because of history.

Sports need history. Any sport that doesn't honor that will suffer for it.

SMEE
2009-11-20, 03:55 PM
It strikes me fear that history may repeat in 2014...

Losing the cup by 2x1 against Uruguay at the finals in a crowded Maracanã was... painful. VERY painful.

Suddenly, at the 79th minute of the game, over 199,000 people went mute at the stadium. :smalleek:

Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay_v_Brazil_(1950_FIFA_World_Cup)

For those who might be curious of this bit of football history. :smalleek:

DraPrime
2009-11-20, 05:02 PM
A proof that Polish players can do well, only not in the national team.
Speaking for myself, what little interest I could have in the World Cup died with the Polish footbal.

It's rather peculiar. Perhaps we should simply find a way to replace all the players on the team of some other country (Germany?) with Polish players, and then claim victory when we win. Because clearly, Pols are great at soccer when they play for somebody else.

As for interest in the World Cup, why not support Slovakia? They're kinda like us, but they talk strangely :smalltongue:

Chunklets
2009-11-20, 05:09 PM
Given Canada's shocking, shocking, failure to qualify, I'll be supporting Italy in this one, although I wouldn't mind at all if Spain wins it (as long as they haven't knocked out Italy, of course).

I'd kind of like to see New Zealand at least make the knock-out round, but I don't know if its that likely.

FinalJustice
2009-11-20, 06:10 PM
Kaka and friends are looking amazing.

Kaka and Luis Fabiano both learned their football in the best school there is. It's called São Paulo Futebol Clube. They alone are more than enough to bring the cup home, where it belongs.

Ok, now that I shamelessly bragged about my team and country, you may return to the normal schedule.

d13
2009-11-21, 01:09 PM
Normal schedule:

Me, bragging about something that happened 60 years ago =)

Here, have a wing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcides_Ghiggia

And this is just because I'm evil:
http://i47.tinypic.com/bexb90.jpg

@Slayn82, SMEE, FinalJustice: Love you, people <3 :smallbiggrin:

Amiria
2009-11-21, 01:58 PM
It is time that Germany wins a 4th World Cup. The team did very well in the last few Euopean and World Cups.

Although I will refuse to support Germany, for beating Poland on its first match back in 2006. One last goal, scored in overtime, by a player of Polish descent (if I have been informed correctly). So unfair. :smallmad:

Eh, who was polish ? I remember that game (well that goal). David Odonkur (winger, German-Ghanain) passed the ball to Oliver Neuville (striker, German-Italian), goal ! The interesting thing about the goal was that both of them came in as substitutes in the second half.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-21, 02:02 PM
If you'l come that far, we dutch will defeat you.

Or atleast blind your eyes with orange.

d13
2009-11-21, 02:10 PM
I'd be OK with that if I get a Dutch footbal-team's shirt. It is WONDERFUL :smalltongue:

Morty
2009-11-22, 10:24 AM
It's rather peculiar. Perhaps we should simply find a way to replace all the players on the team of some other country (Germany?) with Polish players, and then claim victory when we win. Because clearly, Pols are great at soccer when they play for somebody else.

It's because the football teams of other countries are managed by competent people. Unlike ours.

As for interest in the World Cup, why not support Slovakia? They're kinda like us, but they talk strangely :smalltongue:

Maybe. They did beat our team, after all. :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-11-22, 10:30 AM
Maybe. They did beat our team, after all. :smalltongue:

Hmmmm, that is a bit annoying. Still, they're the closest thing to a Polish team in this world cup, so I'll be supporting them.

Morty
2009-11-22, 10:44 AM
Hmmmm, that is a bit annoying. Still, they're the closest thing to a Polish team in this world cup, so I'll be supporting them.

Come to think about it, the winning goal in this match was scored by one of the Polish players into his own goalpost.

DraPrime
2009-11-22, 10:52 AM
Come to think about it, the winning goal in this match was scored by one of the Polish players into his own goalpost.

Was it now? I never actually watched the match. And that really is....horrible. Beating your own team is never a good thing.

Spiryt
2009-11-22, 10:57 AM
Was it now? I never actually watched the match. And that really is....horrible. Beating your own team is never a good thing.

It was the stupidest match I've ever seen, and I participated in hundreds of very backyard style matches between 7 - 15 years old in my life.

DraPrime
2009-11-22, 11:02 AM
It was the stupidest match I've ever seen, and I participated in hundreds of very backyard style matches between 7 - 15 years old in my life.

Ah, but the backyard ones are the best! Especially when they spill out of the "field" and into the street. When I was 10 my friends and I managed to play all the way up and down a mile long street before we got back to where the game had been originally happening.