PDA

View Full Version : As A DM, would you have a problem with this?

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-18, 11:21 PM
How would you feel as a DM about a player entering PrC Ranger (UA) using the feats from an alternative combat style variant (several exist in Dragon mags)?

I'm just testing the waters for a character. A druid-5/ PrC Ranger that rides his watchspider animal companion (swamp druids that ride insects through the trees and keep the nasty things in the swamp from getting out)

Tyndmyr
2009-11-18, 11:26 PM
Depends on the campaign and the party.

If it fits with them, it's fine. If not, well...get something that does.

Draz74
2009-11-18, 11:50 PM
If I had already ok'ed the alternate Ranger combat style, and if I was playing with the Prestige Ranger, I wouldn't mind combining them.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-20, 06:50 AM
Cool. I'm just looking for a way to soften up Drood and still do what I want with a character.

Night Monkey
2009-11-20, 10:55 AM
I would be absolutely fine with it, provided that I was fine with the alt ranger combat style variant. If you tried to pull off the Druid/PrC Ranger build with Moonwarded Ranger (instead of combat style, gets +Wisdom bonus to AC whilst in Light armour) then you would be subject to DM-Rage (+4 to chance of throwing inappropriately high-level Mindflayer encounters at you, not the party, -you-).

So yeah, so long as the alt style is cool, the concept is cool.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-20, 11:04 AM
Yeah the style variants just change the feats you get (the mounted style gets you mounted combat, etc.)

Optimystik
2009-11-20, 11:12 AM
Feats or feat-like bonuses gained from an ACF, class progression or class variant count for PrC qualification unless otherwise specified, so I'd say yes. For example, a ranger's TWF counts for PrCs that require TWF despite having more restrictions than the feat itself.

You should only step in if it's game-breaking, and this sounds fine to me.