PDA

View Full Version : Vampirism Contracted

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 12:46 AM
Ok, so my character in a Pathfinder/3.5 hybrid campaign contracted Vampirism through inner party shenanigans.

The question is, is there any equipment or feats or ANYTHING to make the sun more bearable?

Woodsman
2009-11-19, 12:47 AM
Have you tried looking in Libris Mortis?

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 12:50 AM
Aside from Endure Sunlight, which doesn't help in any substantial way, Libris Mortis assumes a lot from either the DM or the Party, such as a willingness to travel only at night or not staking me in my sleep.

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 01:02 AM
Get iron heart surge. IHS the sun away. Duh :P

So the party isn't ok with you being a vampire? But they helped? O.o

To help you more we need
1. Class
2. Level
3. Resources currently available.

ravenkith
2009-11-19, 01:08 AM
Try a suit of full plate + cloth bindings. + a parasol.

a vamp doesn't need to breathe or suffer from heatstroke etc....so unless you're a caster you should be fine.

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-19, 01:09 AM
That or they can just lug you around in a coffin during the day. :smalltongue:

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 01:09 AM
My bad.

My character is a Gestalt Soulknife/Psychic Warrior 6 - Soulknife/Soulbow 2
ECL (before Vampirism) - 8

If by resources you mean Books, All
If you mean gold, round about 22,000

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 01:13 AM
My idea was that I was going to get a cowled cloak, and then cover face with a balaclava-style thing, then wear Sunglasses (enchanted, of course).

SparkMandriller
2009-11-19, 01:15 AM
Someone needs to stat up an epic spell that covers the land in a mist that blocks out the sun, I think.

Also a parasol is an awesome idea you should try that.

streakster
2009-11-19, 01:37 AM
Get a coffin.

Get it animated.

Get inside. Order it to follow the party.

For fun, get an item of darkness set to go off when you open the door. Also add spikes, traps, symbols of whatever, etc.

Now you can bounce along behind the party, and burst out in a cloud of darkness when it's time to fight!

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 01:44 AM
Someone needs to stat up an epic spell that covers the land in a mist that blocks out the sun, I think.

Also a parasol is an awesome idea you should try that.

Eclipse exists. It makes a large shadow (like 5 mile wide I think) that follows you around as you walk. Summons a rock that is exactly above your head by a couple miles.

Anyway two spells exist to help. Permanent darkness on your clothes, favorite headband, something. Then get goggles of ebon eyes. Actually: permanent darkness on your goggles. Ebon eyes on your goggles. Win.

*edit* The guy above me has an awesome idea.

Yukitsu
2009-11-19, 01:45 AM
I used a magic parasol. Seemed appropriate, since another character stole all her clothes and replaced it with Victorian apparel.

Mongoose87
2009-11-19, 02:01 AM
Get the whole party infected, so they all have to travel by night.

Fizban
2009-11-19, 02:04 AM
There are a couple spells: try the BoED, Spell Compendium, or just plain old Darkness if you're not shy about being conspicuous. The drow domain spell is the most effective but also the hardest to get. There's an item in the MiC that gives you an extra round before dying if I remember right, might be a broach.

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-19, 02:08 AM

I fully endorse this approach

Asheram
2009-11-19, 02:16 AM
Ok, so my character in a Pathfinder/3.5 hybrid campaign contracted Vampirism through inner party shenanigans.

The question is, is there any equipment or feats or ANYTHING to make the sun more bearable?

Just to make sure, this isn't some of the Ravenloft vampirism is it? Because if you're a Nosferatu, then you can be very Very happy... 'cept when it comes to running water, you've still got trouble there.... Start making forcewalls to dry out streams. :P

Crafty Cultist
2009-11-19, 02:33 AM
Libris mortis has an alchemic item that protects against sunlight for a short time. I forget the exact stats

ghashxx
2009-11-19, 04:11 AM
I think your best bet is to use clothing to completely cover yourself. Maybe RP saying you're from a desert area, so retaining body moisture is very important and that's why you wear D&D's equivalent of a stillsuit (Frank Herbert's book Dune). It's in Sandstorm under the equipment section. That would definitely make life interesting, though you have to procure one first and it can certainly be a little impractical when it comes to social graces.

Although here's a question. If you had a magical item allowing you to use "Alter Self" into a human, or whatever race you originally were, then would that work? Sun wouldn't be hitting your fragile vampire skin, because you don't have vampire skin, you've got wonderfully pink squishy human skin for now!

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 10:34 AM
I like the animated coffin idea, save for the fact that my DM has a Warhammer40k-esque sect of Witchhunters who would just LOVE to kill me dead. Perhaps I could get the thing disguised...

Another idea I had toyed with was getting a Carriage with a hidden Coffin inside.

My DM has approved, for level 12ish (My ECL is being handled differently since it's a Gestalt campaign), a Cloak that can activate a portal to an extra dimensional space in the shadow realm that would function as a coffin.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 10:41 AM
Alternatively, you could just vamp the rest of the party.

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 10:46 AM
Can't vamp everyone. I have 2 Lycanthropes to deal with, who also happen to want to make a Were Party.

It also might be worth mentioning that the party has NO CLUE I've been Vamp'd.

Dixieboy
2009-11-19, 10:47 AM
Maybe RP saying you're from a desert area
I support this idea. It's simple, works in a semi-serious campaign, AND gives you an excuse to make a silly accent for your fledling vampire. :smallredface:

Optimystik
2009-11-19, 10:52 AM
Libris mortis has an alchemic item that protects against sunlight for a short time. I forget the exact stats

Liquid Night - each dose protects the creature for an hour before burning off. DC 25 Alchemy check, or you could just buy it somewhere I suppose. 150gp per dose.

Has the "distinct, dusky odor of moonflower" so your werewolf buddies will likely sniff out its use. It's also dark and sticky. Spells that simulate sunlight (e.g. Searing Light, Sunburst etc.) burn the stuff off instantly, so make sure you stock up.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 10:56 AM
Can't vamp everyone. I have 2 Lycanthropes to deal with, who also happen to want to make a Were Party.

Vamp them too! Nothing says that you can't be a Vampiric Were-(insert animal here).

OH THE (LEVEL ADJUSTING) HORROR!!!!!:smalltongue:

streakster
2009-11-19, 10:58 AM

Let them were up the party, then turn everyone. Werewolves aren't immune to vampirism, I don't think. You're immune to lycanthropy, though.

EDIT: Vampire werewolf ninjas!

Deth Muncher
2009-11-19, 11:00 AM
Vamp them too! Nothing says that you can't be a Vampiric Were-(insert animal here).

OH THE (LEVEL ADJUSTING) HORROR!!!!!:smalltongue:

Vampire Were-Bat? O_o

Megaduck
2009-11-19, 11:44 AM

Take the Twilight feat. Then all the sun will do is cause you to sparkle.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 11:48 AM

HA!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA....stop, I can't take it....hahahahaaa....*whew*
You're kidding, right? That one just made my whole day better.

Optimystik
2009-11-19, 11:50 AM

Win. Have an internet, good sir.

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-19, 12:18 PM
My DM has ruled that One can only be either a Vampire or a Were.
Also, This happened about ten sessions in to an infinitively long campaign, so the desert backstory idea is out.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 12:22 PM
Also, This happened about ten sessions in to an infinitively long campaign, so the desert backstory idea is out.

Make is a "friendly" competition...first one to turn the rest of the party wins!

Mewtarthio
2009-11-19, 01:20 PM

Then you'll just have to vamp the rest of the party quickly.

Thurbane
2009-11-19, 08:12 PM
Goggles of Day (MIC p.107) allow a vampire to take a full-round action to escape sunlight, instead of just a single action.

EtcR (p. 209) has Liquid Night, an alchemical substance that allows you to ignore vulnerability to sunlight for 1 hour.

ravenkith
2009-11-19, 09:04 PM
Isn't there a martial art that uses a metal umbrella as a weapon...flavor wise it could be bad ass.

Optimystik
2009-11-19, 09:17 PM
EtcR (p. 209) has Liquid Night, an alchemical substance that allows you to ignore vulnerability to sunlight for 1 hour.

EtcR? What's that?

Libris Mortis has the stuff also.

Thurbane
2009-11-19, 09:21 PM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - they must have reprinted the material from Libris Mortis.

The Poet
2009-11-19, 09:28 PM
If you have the kind of group that would be ok with it, it may be worth noting that you neednt vamp the whole group, just enough to have the majority/power :smallwink:

Haberdashery
2009-11-19, 09:44 PM
Well, if you can find a way to get the See in Darkness ability, you can effectively cast Darkness on yourself, and walk around all day like that. That'd be easier if you were a warlock of course, with the Devil's Sight and Darkness invocations. But there are other ways, I'm sure.

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-24, 01:22 AM
Just as a follow up, my character now rides in an animated coffin, which floats behind another party member till battle starts, when he jumps out for as many rounds as he can stand, after which returning to the coffin for one round to recoup.

crazedloon
2009-11-24, 01:27 AM
get a Psychoactive Skin of your choice. They cover your entire body and you see through them they can unfurl to allow you to retrieve things from your body without making you susceptible to light.

streakster
2009-11-24, 01:56 AM
Just as a follow up, my character now rides in an animated coffin, which floats behind another party member till battle starts, when he jumps out for as many rounds as he can stand, after which returning to the coffin for one round to recoup.

Yay! I was helpful!

LibraryOgre
2009-11-24, 11:31 AM

Further advantage: You are now their vampire master.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-24, 12:27 PM

But you become Emo, no save ends. That kind takes up most your time. It acts like confusion: 50% of time instead if doing anything you have to say depressing stuff.

Another_Poet
2009-11-24, 02:28 PM

Sweet, you chose the most stylish option. Excellent.

DrOctagonapus12
2009-11-24, 03:43 PM
As a further addendum, if the coffin is opened from the outside or attacked, a ward activates which transports me to an amulet held by an unknowing party member and the attacker into the coffin, which then eats them.

It's awesome.

Optimystik
2009-11-24, 04:09 PM
Call your coffin "Grave of Maria" and tell your party members they have to call you out into the open with an incantation.

Also, I would slather on some Liquid Night (or carry it in your pockets) just in case. Being able to turn those rounds into hours could be useful.

ravenkith
2009-11-24, 05:37 PM
get a Psychoactive Skin of your choice. They cover your entire body and you see through them they can unfurl to allow you to retrieve things from your body without making you susceptible to light.

This is sheer genius...and utterly true.

Cheapest printed one is 10k - skin of nimbleness...+ 10 to tumble.

Arguable that you could make a custom one cheaper, depending on whether or not it did anything...

LibraryOgre
2009-11-24, 09:39 PM
Since you're a vampire, it should be a psychoactive skin of My Light, continuous effect. 2000gp, and when you're in daylight, you sparkle. ;-)

VirOath
2009-11-25, 02:56 AM
I'd rather take a custom psychoactive skin of disguise self. Then you'd get to choose.