PDA

View Full Version : Recursion, an RPG setting

IonDragon
2009-11-19, 04:24 AM
So, I got this brilliant idea for a setting, inspired in party by the .hack series.

Recursion:
The thought came along something like this. I'm about to start running my first play by post game, and after reading some other threads on the subject for ideas realized something. People tend to get on and do several posts with the GM and then get off after a little while. [/shocker]
Anyway, I was thinking... how could I get this to make sense in an RP perspective? I came up with this idea: the players are playing a computer game and have an "In Game" and "IRL" character. As in .hack, most of the character interactions take place in a video game. This way, there is a 100% in game reason for why people come on and get off, and I think there's a ton of cool things I can do with a multi-tier plot.

We're going to use a homebrew system which should support it just fine the issue is going to be running it, and leveling up.

My questions are
1. Do you foresee any major problems from running like this?
2. How do you think I should do XP? Separate tally or level both characters at the same time?