PDA

View Full Version : How many crossbow bolts per quiver ? And van hellsing.

Grifthin
2009-11-19, 06:20 AM
How many crossbow bolt does one fit into a quiver/holder/dodad. I've creating a character that duel wields 2 light repeating crossbows and I'll be burning through dozens of crossbow bolts per fight. Any ideas ? Also is there a holder that provides infinite Crossbow bolts ? Also how effective is duel wielding crossbows ?

Drahlan Khan level 8 Fighter
Str 15
Dex 17
Con 15
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 13

Dodge, Mobility, Point blank shot, Rapid shot, Shot on the Run, Exotic weapon - Light repeating crossbow, weapon focus, 2 weapon fighting, Quick draw. I'm basically trying to build a fighter that can kick down a door and perforate everyone in the room.

Inspiration is mostly old westerns and the van hellsing movie. Workable or doomed to faliure.

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 06:23 AM
There is an extra dimensional quiver. It is in the DMG.

As I am at work here is the link to the PRD version of it. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#efficient-quiver

SRD is blocked at work :(

Grumman
2009-11-19, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately you need a spare hand to pull the lever. This means Thri-Kreen make the best gunslingers. And even if you didn't, light repeating crossbows are worse than heavy repeating crossbows or normal light crossbows, since it takes a full-round action to reload.

Splitting is a +3 enhancement that doubles the number of bolts you can shoot in one volley.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-19, 06:42 AM
Hmm... any way to get extra attacks per round with a crossbow?

ghashxx
2009-11-19, 06:46 AM
Also it doesn't necessarily matter how many bolts are in the quiver but rather how many are in the magazine, and I believe that number is 5. Yep, it's only 5 bolts, you have to use two hands to use the lever at all, and reloading a case is a full round action using both hands that provokes AoOs. Unless you've got four hands, or maybe three if your DM will let that slide, then repeating duel wielding isn't anything good. So for a two handed character; use non-repeating, shoot each one once, then switch to two melee weapons and just go at it.

Grifthin
2009-11-19, 06:50 AM
How about having the handles of the crossbows be tied by lengths of leather to the inside of your coat, Drop Crossbows, load each (since it's a free action to load bolt into repeater once), then quick draw (free Action) and fire ?

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 06:54 AM
Depends on if tied weapons to your coat counts as drawing em or not. Really just get returning on the ammo, and ask the DM to not count ammo as being broken after hitting. I don't really see this character breaking, or even bending, a campaign. They should be fine with it.

The_Scourge
2009-11-19, 07:16 AM
There's an item from Ebberon called the Spare Hand (it's in the MIC too). It's mainly for artificers but it'll allow you to reload dual-wielded light crossbows as a free action without breaking flow and if you don't like the concept of having an extra gand doing your reloading just reflavour it as a belt that maes you reaload... more... awesomer.
Repeating crossbows are not worth the feat to use them IMO. Especially for dual weilding

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-19, 07:19 AM
Hmm... I wonder how hard it would be to optimize the crossbow?

Grifthin
2009-11-19, 07:45 AM
Oh - do tell.

BooNL
2009-11-19, 07:48 AM
Spare hand is indeed a viable option to pull the triggers. To be honest, if I were your DM I'd wave the pulling of the loading trigger, instead you could say it loads automatically.
The reloading of a magazine is a bigger issue though, a full-round action to reload is non-sense, especially for a light-repeating crossbow. A regular light crossbow with quick load suffers no drawbacks. If you have a repeating version you have to waste a full-round action every 5 turns.

What might be an idea, but you'd have to confer with your DM. I believe there's an enchantment for adding an extra-dimensional loading bay for crossbows (MiC). You might be able to add that enchantment to your magazine clips, that way you never have to waste another round reloading.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 07:51 AM
There's an older magic item called a Quiver of Elhonna that holds, not infinite, but a LOT of bolts or arrows, and some other stuff.
I would probably just us a Bag of Holding, since according to some, the item you reach for is always at the top. Keeping the bag open during combat would reduce, in my eyes, the time required to pull a bold from it.

BooNL
2009-11-19, 07:53 AM
That wouldn't reduce loading times from repeating crossbows though.

Though the efficient quiver (as it's called in the SRD) is very useful in having different kinds of bolts at your disposal.

Draken
2009-11-19, 07:59 AM
No one mentioned but there is a weapon enchant in the MIC, Quick Reload I think, only for crossbows, it allows the crossbow itself to hold up to 100 bolts in an extradimensional space and be reloaded... As a free action I suppose, away from books now. You get to chose which of the stored bolts is loaded too (you can store different types of bolts.

Counts as a +1 bonus If I recall. I am away from my books.

BooNL
2009-11-19, 08:02 AM
No one mentioned but there is a weapon enchant in the MIC, Quick Reload I think, only for crossbows, it allows the crossbow itself to hold up to 100 bolts in an extradimensional space and be reloaded... As a free action I suppose, away from books now. You get to chose which of the stored bolts is loaded too (you can store different types of bolts.

Counts as a +1 bonus If I recall. I am away from my books.

That's the one I was talking about, though I couldn't recall the name.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-19, 08:31 AM
Even though the crossbow is a sucky weapon I have a softspot for crossbow dual wielding. The repeating crossbow is well beyond my tolerance for brokenness though ... it's the monk of weapons. Even if you didn't need an extra feat to use it, even if you didn't need a free hand to reload it would still be crap because of the 5 bolt limit. But you do need the feat, you do need the free hand. It's crap on crap on crap.

Just get two normal crossbows, rapid reload and gloves of storing ... or if available that quick loading enhancement from MiC.

Lord Loss
2009-11-19, 09:16 AM
If someone in your party is able to craft magic items, they could use bags of holding attached to the crossbow in a way that the bag becomes part of the crossbow, and you don't need to reload (This is probably not the clearest wording, srry.) I think they allowed it in my group once.

Ruinix
2009-11-19, 11:32 AM
the best build i read if was about a dual light crosbow WARFORGE wich can get a feat exclusive for warforge wich allow sacrifice a little health for autoreload warforges light crosbows or something like that.

i dont remeber very well the names but that its.

ericgrau
2009-11-19, 11:56 AM
Hmm... any way to get extra attacks per round with a crossbow?
Rapid reload and play a rogue. Then you get 1 bolt sneak attack in the surprise round, and a full round of sneak attacks in round 1 against anyone who hasn't acted yet. Next you need greater invisibility, ring of blinking, grease spell on enemies, switching to melee or the like to continue the sneak attacks. i.e., make friends with the mage. But chances are something(s) is already dead which doesn't suck. Much safer than a fragile melee rogue and it gives more full attacks. Only drawback is the difficulty of getting sneak attacks reliably for round 2+. But since it saves you the weapon finesse feat it doesn't have any additional costs.

For the same feat cost as rapid reload you could get a longbow instead of a crossbow, like Haley Starshine.

As for dual wielding crossbows, if you can pull it off it means you can apply both the two weapon fighting and rapid shot feats for an extra attack. Get haste from a caster or boots of speed for another.

Book Wyrm
2009-11-19, 12:33 PM
Quick Loading enchantment from the Magic Item Compendium: +1, crossbows only, extradimensional space that holds 100 bolts, reduces reload time to free action for hand and light crossbows, move action for heavy crossbows.

I'd ask your DM if the Quick Loading reload time reduction ability would stack with the Rapid Reload feat. I can't see any reason they wouldn't, since rapid reload just means you have practiced reloading a lot and quick loading is just a magical enhancement. Although technically Improved Critical and the Keen weapon property don't stack so just ask.

Two +1 Quick Loading crossbows would cost you a little over 16000 gp, which is within the 27000 you should get by level 8. Two heavy crossbows if your DM allows Quick Loading and Rapid Reload to stack, otherwise two light crossbows. Now I just saved you from wasting a feat on those crappy repeating crossbows.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-19, 12:39 PM
the best build i read if was about a dual light crosbow WARFORGE wich can get a feat exclusive for warforge wich allow sacrifice a little health for autoreload warforges light crosbows or something like that.

i dont remeber very well the names but that its.

It is not a feat, it is a warforged component (basically an attachment) it is found in the Eberron campaing setting.