PDA

View Full Version : Rust monster optimization

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 06:50 AM
Because I hate like to challenge my players I felt they feel their equipment is safe. More over I'm about to pour some gold down their throats (running a module, and it is about to reward them tons of cash). So I figure it would be fun to destroy some stuff. Then I look at rust monster (being a good player, never really read the MM so DMs can throw whatever without me knowing). CR 3.

I know I could just throw some fighter levels, and call it a day. However I want to make them seem a little special. I'm running pathfinder, so here is the PF Rust Monster (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/rustMonster.html#rust-monster). As I allow (on case-by-case) out of PF core stuff, I have no problem with the RMs getting other classes.

TL;DR: I want rust monsters. I wish to know what classes would make for unique rust monster fights.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-19, 06:58 AM
Blood Wind + their antenna + Blood Wind Ricochet + any method of getting multiple attacks on a full attack.

Don't be selective with your gift giving! Give the gift of hitting them all at once.

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 07:10 AM
Blood Wind Ricochet: Is that SpC? I know BW, but not familiar with Ricochet.

I was planning on several Rust Monsters. They will all have the gift of curious, hungry buggies.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-19, 07:15 AM
Oooh! I loves me some rust monster! They so cute ^_^
(I one time fed a +3 dagger to one. ticked the party off something fierce that I was wasting loot)

Feral and psudonatural (the one an alienists summons get) templates!

Or monk levels! Flurry of suck blows touch attacks on everything metal!

One of the dragon mags had a rust monster that went after samurai to destroy their blades. They'd commit suicide over it and haunt the thing, so you'd have to deal with an advanced rust monster and it's pissed off ghosts.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-19, 07:15 AM
Blood Wind Ricochet: Is that SpC? I know BW, but not familiar with Ricochet.

I was planning on several Rust Monsters. They will all have the gift of curious, hungry buggies.

Blood Wind Ricochet is a Bloodstorm Blade ability (from the ToB, the throwing PrC). It lets you throw a weapon as a full attack each attacks of which has a different target.

If you do this... Well, I salute you for how evil you are to your PCs.

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 07:42 AM
Blood Wind Ricochet is a Bloodstorm Blade ability (from the ToB, the throwing PrC). It lets you throw a weapon as a full attack each attacks of which has a different target.

If you do this... Well, I salute you for how evil you are to your PCs.

They are literally about to break WBL in the next section of the tower. With only what is in the tower. I have no remorse destroying stuff, without a TPK.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-19, 07:48 AM
They are literally about to break WBL in the next section of the tower. With only what is in the tower. I have no remorse destroying stuff, without a TPK.

Have with it then, and post if you use my idea. Although I think this has a chance to backfire on you (might just make your players engage in an arms race ;p)

FinalJustice
2009-11-19, 08:27 AM
Careful with itens they are attached to as well. People can get pretty upset if the ancestral sword deeply rooted in their backstory is eaten by a freakin' overpowered cockroach. Try to figure out what is disposable and what is essential to their characters characterization (because, let's face it, gear usually do play a big role in 3.5 characterization). Then attack the disposable.

BobVosh
2009-11-19, 09:10 AM
Careful with itens they are attached to as well. People can get pretty upset if the ancestral sword deeply rooted in their backstory is eaten by a freakin' overpowered cockroach.

This made my day. LULZ.

They really don't seem to have anything unique that they would be sad to lose. Made of metal anyway.

Eloel
2009-11-19, 10:57 AM
For moar evil, hint your party Wizard about how his spellbook is too vulnerable to hits. Make him cover it with metal for durability. Yum!

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-19, 11:10 AM
For moar evil, hint your party Wizard about how his spellbook is too vulnerable to hits. Make him cover it with metal get a metal one from Comp. Arcane for durability. Yum!

oh hi i fixed this for you ^_^

Telonius
2009-11-19, 11:15 AM
Rust Monster Ninja.

"Oh my god, that thing just ate my sword!"
"Where did it go?"
"It's over here - no - er ... ARGH!"

Cieyrin
2009-11-19, 04:04 PM
The only thing I wonder here, considering it has an Int of 2, I don't think they'd really go for class levels and would most likely advance by aberration hit dice. The Dragon magazine Advanced Rust Monster was like max hit die, I think, for a rust monster and was a scary beastie.

Hmm, that reminds me of the dwarven cavalry in Arms and Equipment that ride large rust monsters into battle. They're hilarious in their hide armor, wood shields and stone hammers, devouring all metal in their wake. I kinda want to make my next character a rust monster rider, to annoy the other PCs and possibly the DM. We'll see how long that actually goes...:smallwink:

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-19, 04:20 PM
Hmm, that reminds me of the dwarven cavalry in Arms and Equipment that ride large rust monsters into battle. They're hilarious in their hide armor, wood shields and stone hammers, devouring all metal in their wake.

This is the most horrible thing I have heard in my entire life.

daggaz
2009-11-19, 04:24 PM
The only thing I wonder here, considering it has an Int of 2, I don't think they'd really go for class levels and would most likely advance by aberration hit dice. The Dragon magazine Advanced Rust Monster was like max hit die, I think, for a rust monster and was a scary beastie.

Hmm, that reminds me of the dwarven cavalry in Arms and Equipment that ride large rust monsters into battle. They're hilarious in their hide armor, wood shields and stone hammers, devouring all metal in their wake. I kinda want to make my next character a rust monster rider, to annoy the other PCs and possibly the DM. We'll see how long that actually goes...:smallwink:

Awakened Rust Monster monk. Problem solved.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-19, 04:29 PM
Awakened Pseudonatural Paragon Rust Monster Monk!

jmbrown
2009-11-19, 04:44 PM
In Dragon's "Monster Ecology" article, they had one for rust monsters and a super powered rust monster that was haunted by undead. Get some ghasts or other paralyzing undead monsters in there.

It's like an all-you-can-dissolve buffet!

Starbuck_II
2009-11-19, 04:49 PM
Or monk levels! Flurry of suck blows touch attacks on everything metal!

Morbo says: YOU CAN'T DO THAT!
Touch attacks are not a monk special weapon.

By the way, a fiendish or Celestial creature no longer has 2 Int.

Dimers
2009-11-19, 05:47 PM
In the back of the horde of rust monster monks, you should have a forlorn and hungry-looking folugub (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/folugub.htm).

Mando Knight
2009-11-19, 05:58 PM
Try Barbarian: boosting its Con boosts the Reflex save allotted to dodging the rust power. Raging boosts Con.

erikun
2009-11-19, 06:26 PM
In the back of the horde of rust monster monks, you should have a forlorn and hungry-looking folugub (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/folugub.htm).
My Psychic Warrior hates you. :smallannoyed:

My 2¢: Awakened Rust Monster Druid, with a Rust Monster as an animal companion.

gdiddy
2009-11-19, 06:37 PM
Awakened Grik Black Guard with a Large Rust Monster as its Companion Mount. It holds four lances on a charge.

Cieyrin
2009-11-19, 07:13 PM
My 2¢: Awakened Rust Monster Druid, with a Rust Monster as an animal companion.

Awakened Grik Black Guard with a Large Rust Monster as its Companion Mount. It holds four lances on a charge.

What trickery is this? Since when can you get Aberrations as Animal Companions or Special Mounts, for Rust Monsters are such?!?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-19, 07:49 PM
I think there's an eberron feat for it or a Dungeonscape prestige class.

Cieyrin
2009-11-19, 08:04 PM
I think there's an eberron feat for it or a Dungeonscape prestige class.

I don't think Beast Heart Adept opens up Rust Monsters and the Beast Totem chain doesn't allow companions, just Wild Shaping and even then Rust Monster isn't a viable choice.

BobVosh
2009-11-20, 12:41 AM
What trickery is this? Since when can you get Aberrations as Animal Companions or Special Mounts, for Rust Monsters are such?!?

Rule of funny?

Hmm, seems like the general consensus is cavalry. It is in a demon heavy section, so I can always have advanced rust monster mounts for a demon patrol.

And just for Temet I'll have one blood wind happy awakened rust monster.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-20, 01:11 AM
Forget about adding silly class levels, just increase its Aberration racial HD. Aberrations gain +1 CR per +4 HD, whereas associated class levels are +1 CR per +1 level, and nonassociated levels are +1 CR per +2 levels. It goes to Large size at 9 HD (not counting class levels), so remember that a size increase is another +1 CR. You can also give it the elite array (15,14,13,12,10,8) for another +1 CR, though adding just one class level gets that for free.

I'd probably make it 15 HD (+10 HD = +2.5 CR), large size (+1 CR), with one level of Cleric (+1/2 CR nonassociated) which also grants the elite array. That makes it CR 7, give it the Spell or Force domain along with Celerity, have Mage Armor active. Get Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, and Practiced Spellcaster. It will have a movement speed of 50 feet, put it in a room with plenty of obstacles so it can go deliver a touch and then get behind total cover, so nobody will be able to use ranged attacks or charge it without moving around first.

I'd probably make it the alpha of some sort of brood, in a big circular room with lots of wide pillars and rubble. It should hit-and-run making them chase it around the room, its young will scurry out and begin devouring any destroyed items they've left in its wake. Its non-domain spells prepared should be Lesser Vigor and Faith Healing. If it gets below half HP once its out of spells it should flee, probably leading them to within sight of the next encounter. For example, there could be a few ogres in the next room who know the rust monsters are there but aren't worried about their hide armor and wooden clubs being devoured, and as soon as they see the PCs chasing the critters around they'll make an opportunistic attack, unintentionally enabling the beast's escape.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-20, 02:56 AM

You are a wonderfully evil person. Please record your players screams, so I can use them to lull myself to sleep at night.

Also, tell me how they like their new friend (who can be everyone's friend at once!)

TechnoScrabble
2010-08-08, 11:00 AM
Fiendish half-rust dragon rust monster. He can take out every metal item the party owns in the first round by breathing.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-08, 11:11 AM
Forget the Rust Monster, use a Rust Dragon (Draconomicon).:smallbiggrin: Lots of Recover Breath feats.

Alternatively, have the rust monster accompanied by an advanced Gelatinous Cube and an advanced Mimic.

hewhosaysfish
2010-08-08, 11:12 AM
Rule of funny?

Hmm, seems like the general consensus is cavalry. It is in a demon heavy section, so I can always have advanced rust monster mounts for a demon patrol.

"Demon heavy section"?

Half-fiend rust monsters! What could be "better" than a flying rust monster?

Prime32
2010-08-08, 11:15 AM
Breed a rust monster with a roper (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/roper.htm) somehow. You can't free your allies without destroying your equipment.

TechnoScrabble
2010-08-08, 12:38 PM
Better idea! There's a gelatinous creature template in savage races, so take that and add it to the half rust dragon half fiend rust monster with imbue, recover, and spell breather breath weapon feats so that you have a monster that breaths fire, ice, force, and melt-every-damn-thing-EVER gas and goop all over the PCs!

WinWin
2010-08-08, 02:06 PM
Add the Phrenic template from XPH. Give it a few Psi-Like abilities. That or use an Annihilator. Basically an advanced Rust Monster that Disintegrates everthing instead of focusing on metal. From one of the later MM's.

edit: Thank you :smallsmile: Underdark is the source.

hamishspence
2010-08-08, 02:09 PM
Underdark, to be precise. Faerun book- but the content could be pretty good in any campaign that uses an Underdark.

FelixG
2010-08-08, 02:29 PM
Forget the Rust Monster, use a Rust Dragon (Draconomicon).:smallbiggrin: Lots of Recover Breath feats.

Alternatively, have the rust monster accompanied by an advanced Gelatinous Cube and an advanced Mimic.

They would never win against Rusty and Co!

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-08, 03:05 PM
Fiendish half-rust dragon rust monster. He can take out every metal item the party owns in the first round by breathing.

Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy. It's not the most evil kind of necromancy, but it's still not allowed here.