PDA

View Full Version : Monsters with built in casting/manifesting

Draxar
2009-11-19, 08:38 AM
What monsters are there with built in caster levels? Not 'This example of a creature with X racial hit dice and Y class levels', and not spell likes, true casting. Preferably ones that are playable.

Stuff like the unbodied – LA +4, then 4 racial HD that also count as Psion (Telepath) levels. A Raksha casts as a 7th level Sorcerer (which is its hit dice), Trumpet Archon's cast as 14 level clerics, Dragons are sorcers of ((Age Catagory - 3 to 6)*2)+1.

What other stuff is there out there that gets built in spellcasting?

AslanCross
2009-11-19, 08:44 AM
All the angels (Astral Deva, Planetar and Solar) have BOTH divine spellcasting AND spell-like abilities.

The Gem dragons from MM2 manifest as psions, although MM2 still refers to the 3.0 psionics rules.

The Psionic version of the Illithid manifests as a psion. Then there's the Elder Brain.

Almost all such creatures are practically unplayable due to LA.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 08:45 AM
Nymphs - Built-in Druid Levels
Basic Rakshasas - Built in Sorcerer Levels
There's more, I just don't have the book in front of me.

tonberrian
2009-11-19, 08:55 AM
Couatls get 9th level Sorcerer casting, and Glouras (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) get 7th level bard casting. The Gloura's even playable (low LA, nice ability scores, cha to AC and saves, and wings).

Cyclocone
2009-11-19, 09:01 AM
Nagas -sorcerer/druid
Araneas -sorcerer
Ethergaunts -wizard
Phaerimm -sorcerer
Sharn -sorcerer+cleric

Draxar
2009-11-19, 09:20 AM
Sharn -sorcerer+cleric

I really like the Sharn, but it's blatantly not its claimed ECL 9. I may look at making a race-class for it, taking it up to somewhere around 20.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Essentially, I'm going to be playing in a monster campaign soon, and want something with a bit more flexibility, a bit more ability to enter prestige classes. Thus, a spellcasting monster seems a possibility.

SpikeFightwicky
2009-11-19, 09:43 AM
Sylph -> Built in sorcerer levels. Though to make them acceptable, you'd probably have to remove their spell-like abilities (or tone them down).

Draxar
2009-11-19, 10:00 AM
Sylph -> Built in sorcerer levels. Though to make them acceptable, you'd probably have to remove their spell-like abilities (or tone them down).

They do seem rather well stocked for powers. Though at least they're not as silly as the aforementioned Sharn.