PDA

View Full Version : Best Contigency Spells

Lysander
2009-11-19, 11:54 AM
What are the best spells to have ready with contingency and for what conditions? A really obvious one is "Teleport me to a safe haven should I will it, or should I become helpless while in mortal peril." Some other ones:

"Break Enchantment to free me from any relevant harmful magic, unless I prefer to free myself by other means"

"Bear's Endurance to instantly raise my health if I would die or become helpless otherwise"

"Antimagic Field if I would otherwise be effected by a deadly or incapacitating magical effect"

"Blink if I am ever successfully ambushed by enemies"

What else is good?

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 11:59 AM
Contingency....HEAL!

Sorry, I like the Mystic Theurge.:smallbiggrin:

Edwin
2009-11-19, 12:06 PM
Break Enchantment to free me from any relevant harmful magic, unless I prefer to free myself by other means

I'm not sure you can make a second contingent activation for a Contingency? :smallconfused:

You have to put the limit somewhere, you know.

Zeta Kai
2009-11-19, 12:15 PM
"Cast feather fall whenever I fall more than 10'."

That's the most useful/annoying contingency I've ever used. Never be defenestrated (effectively) again. :smallcool:

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-19, 12:16 PM
Contingent Teleport is a solid choice.

Contingent Ironguard is another.

For those Cerebremancers out there, Contingent Schism is an excellent choice, as the splinter mind can do a lot to free you from whatever effect may come.

Contingent Dimension Door is an effective battle dodge.

That's the most useful/annoying contingency I've ever used. Never be defenestrated (effectively) again. :smallcool:

Why not use Fly, as you can Feather Fall as an immediate action?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-19, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure you can make a second contingent activation for a Contingency? :smallconfused:

You have to put the limit somewhere, you know.

You can. However, your mental thoughts are not generally visible to a contingency to trigger it. You can still put manual controls on contingencies, though.

For example, have two contingencies. One is a prestidigitation that does a certain effect on you. It goes off when something specific happens. The other prestidigitation goes off if there is a combination of that effect and (other effect) on you.

This provides you a way to effectively turn contingencies on and off, by using some obscure condition.

Fitz10019
2009-11-19, 12:25 PM
Spell: Protection from Evil; Contingency: if I am a victim of any form of mind control

In our campaign, Contingencies are available as an NPC spellcasting service, which charges by spell level, so this one is has a very good usefulnessVcost ratio.

Also, Contingent Detect Scrying is a good way to have that protection without spending a 4th level slot every day.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-19, 12:27 PM
Spell: Protection from Evil; Contingency: if I am a victim of any form of mind control

In our campaign, Contingencies are available as an NPC spellcasting service, which charges by spell level, so this one is has a very good usefulnessVcost ratio.

Problem is, if you're dominated in your sleep, you've gotta make a save to resist the Protection from Evil as well.

Fitz10019
2009-11-19, 12:29 PM
Problem is, if you're dominated in your sleep, you've gotta make a save to resist the Protection from Evil as well.

That's news to me. Can you explain that, please?

Edit: ah, "Will negates (harmless)"
I don't think that significantly degrades the usefulness.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-19, 12:31 PM
Contingent Spell Reflection seems useful.

You'd need to state the trigger carefully to avoid it being wasted on friendly buffing, but that shouldn't be hard. Anything that gives you good odds on escaping/reducing the alpha strike of a caster is pretty welcome.

Using command word triggered contingencies also seems like a great way of breaking action economy. Speaking is a free action after all.

Grumman
2009-11-19, 12:35 PM
Contingent Nightstalker's Transformation when I cast Body of War.

Okay, perhaps not useful, but funny.

Doc Roc
2009-11-19, 12:51 PM

How about:

Lightning Leap, teleports you right through a dimensional anchor.

Revenance, cast from any number of sources.

Use Share Spells to contingency Body of War on your familiar.

I agree with PR, re: Contingency Schism, and think it's one of the coolest answers I've seen in ages.

Milskidasith
2009-11-19, 01:01 PM

Feather Fall is an immediate action, meaning you don't need to contingency it.

As for useful Contingincies: Celerity, Invoke Magic, Time Stop, Greater Teleport, and Planeshift are all good ones.

Boci
2009-11-19, 01:02 PM
Feather Fall is an immediate action, meaning you don't need to contingency it.

As for useful Contingincies: Celerity, Invoke Magic, Time Stop, Greater Teleport, and Planeshift are all good ones.

Aren't you limited to 6th level spells?

Milskidasith
2009-11-19, 01:07 PM
Aren't you limited to 6th level spells?

Craft Contingent Spell. It's like contingency, but broken. And by RAW, doesn't require you to actually know contingency.

Draz74
2009-11-19, 01:14 PM
Speaking of Feather Fall ... another option is to trigger a Contingency to go off "when I cast Feather Fall." That way, you can customize the triggering condition to whatever bad happens to you; essentially, you've given one other spell an immediate action casting time, for the price of a L1 and L6 spell slot.

If using this strategy, you might want to buy a Ring of Feather Falling, so that you never have to waste your Contingency to prevent actual falling damage. :smallamused: Also, of course beware of things that can insta-disable you, leaving you unable to cast Feather Fall.

Woodsman
2009-11-19, 01:20 PM
Contingent Revivify.

Craft Contingent Spell, or Mystic Theurge, and there you have it. Laugh in Death's face time and time again!

Lysander
2009-11-19, 01:35 PM
While contigent feather fall isn't bad, you'd be better off just making a contingent flight spell. Or contigent dimension door to teleport straight down to safe ground. I mean, the contigent spell doesn't penalize you for using higher level spells. You're best off using the most powerful one possible that provides additional side benefits.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 01:36 PM
Contingent AMF is cool when playing a Gish.

"If I come up against a Spellcaster with a Caster Level equal or higher than my own" - Widened Antimagic Field (Contingencies could use Metamagic Rod charges in their setup, but the charge was unusable again until the contingency was triggered).

Meet BBEG (Avatar of Lolth). Trigger AMF. Party proceeds to beat her to death very, very slowly (DR/Epic is a bitch at level 16), moving away from me whenever the Cleric needed to patch them up.

Contingent Protection from Energy can be useful, as can Contingent Sanctuary if used against things with bad Will Saves.

While contigent feather fall isn't bad, you'd be better off just making a contingent flight spell. Or contigent dimension door to teleport straight down to safe ground. I mean, the contigent spell doesn't penalize you for using higher level spells. You're best off using the most powerful one possible that provides additional side benefits.

I think the idea behind Feather Fall is that if it's just going to sit there, unused most days then it's better to use a low-level slot than something more all roundly useful like Fly.

Lysander
2009-11-19, 02:28 PM
I think the idea behind Feather Fall is that if it's just going to sit there, unused most days then it's better to use a low-level slot than something more all roundly useful like Fly.

But a contingent spell can last for days, basically giving you an extra bonus spell slot on the day its used. You're better off getting a bonus high level spell than a low one.

The only incentive to use a low level spell is if you need all your high level spell slots on the same day you cast Contingency.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 02:35 PM
But a contingent spell can last for days, basically giving you an extra bonus spell slot on the day its used. You're better off getting a bonus high level spell than a low one.

The only incentive to use a low level spell is if you need all your high level spell slots on the same day you cast Contingency.

Do you get to use the spell slot the next day? I thought it was used up until the contingency triggered...

Lysander
2009-11-19, 02:39 PM
Do you get to use the spell slot the next day? I thought it was used up until the contingency triggered...

You can't have two instances of contingency on you at one time, but it doesn't say anything about taking up either spell slot. It's basically "Cast two spells now, get a free automatic spell whenever you want in the next 1 day/level". Since that's the case, even if you want to make a lower level spell contingent its still in your best interest to heighten it to level 6 anyway.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-19, 02:40 PM
Contingent Revivify!

Or, if you're a druid, Contingent Last Breath.

cZak
2009-11-19, 02:47 PM
Yea, Craft Contingent Spell is persona non grata in my games...

Considering the limitation of 1/3 caster level for spell level, when you first gain access to contingency you are limited to 3rd level spells.

So what are good contingencies at the various stages?
</= 3: I generally liked the defensive spells; blur & displacement to foil incoming or surprise sneak attacks. Very few low level 'get away' spells, but Gaseous form would work.

@4th level spells: Stoneskin is probably best insta-defense. D-door for escape, but do you have to state the direction and distance when you set the contingency or can you do it when it goes off?

Edwin
2009-11-19, 02:48 PM
You can. However, your mental thoughts are not generally visible to a contingency to trigger it. You can still put manual controls on contingencies, though.

For example, have two contingencies. One is a prestidigitation that does a certain effect on you. It goes off when something specific happens. The other prestidigitation goes off if there is a combination of that effect and (other effect) on you.

This provides you a way to effectively turn contingencies on and off, by using some obscure condition.

Barring sleazy options, such as Craft: Contingent Spell, you can't have more than one contingency.

So no, no two contingency cheese.

Also, how does the above help you? It just means you waste two 6th level slots, and a prestidigitation, to create the same effect.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-19, 02:54 PM
What makes that cheese, exactly? Fine control of contingencies seems like exactly the thing wizards would try to research in-universe.

Gametime
2009-11-19, 02:57 PM
You can't have two instances of contingency on you at one time, but it doesn't say anything about taking up either spell slot. It's basically "Cast two spells now, get a free automatic spell whenever you want in the next 1 day/level". Since that's the case, even if you want to make a lower level spell contingent its still in your best interest to heighten it to level 6 anyway.

Amusingly, Craft Contingent Spell allows you to have a number of contingent spells on you not exceeding your hit dice. If that seems excessively generous to you, well, apparently Wizards didn't think too hard about this feat. It's downright ridiculous.

tyckspoon
2009-11-19, 02:58 PM
What makes that cheese, exactly? Fine control of contingencies seems like exactly the thing wizards would try to research in-universe.

And easily achieved by setting the contingency to "When I say the word (something you are guaranteed to never use in daily conversation, probably made up entirely.)" Free action, can be taken out of turn, doesn't burn your next swift or a spell slot the way using Nerveskitter or Feather Fall as the trigger does.

Boci
2009-11-19, 02:58 PM
And easily achieved by setting the contingency to "When I say the word (something you are guaranteed to never use in daily conversation, probably made up entirely.)" Free action, can be taken out of turn, doesn't burn your next swift or a spell slot the way using Nerveskitter or Feather Fall as the trigger does.

I thought you couldn't take free actions out of turn.

Edwin
2009-11-19, 03:01 PM

You can't.

He is thinking of immediate actions.

Optimystik
2009-11-19, 03:05 PM

Speaking is a free action you can take out of turn, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm) like he said. It is an exception to other free actions.

Lysander
2009-11-19, 03:08 PM
Heck, why even make it a verbal trigger? Just make the condition "Whenever I choose, or would choose but am unconscious or under mind control"

Edwin
2009-11-19, 03:13 PM
Heck, why even make it a verbal trigger? Just make the condition "Whenever I choose, or would choose but am unconscious or under mind control"

Because, or at least that's my opinion, that's where the "too complicated/ambiguous" clause apply.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-19, 03:14 PM
Can contingency read thoughts? How do contingencies sense activation conditions anyway?

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 03:16 PM
Can contingency read thoughts? How do contingencies sense activation conditions anyway?

Magic.sdfgxdfgfddfg

Optimystik
2009-11-19, 03:24 PM

Any sane DM would rule zero that - the spell's bad enough as it is, never mind the feat.

How does Wish know what you want? or Reality Revision? A caster is never truly alone, when you think about it.

Lysander
2009-11-19, 03:26 PM
The real question is, how much does the contingency know? Can it be triggered by information you yourself don't have? Could you have "See Invisibility: Whenever something is hiding from me with invisibility"?

Edwin
2009-11-19, 03:37 PM
The real question is, how much does the contingency know? Can it be triggered by information you yourself don't have? Could you have "See Invisibility: Whenever something is hiding from me with invisibility"?

I would say no. I woul rule that the contingency "knows" nothing you don't.

You could probably say: See invisibility when I succeed on a listen check to notice sounds of feet moving, when no non-friendly creature is apparent.

Korivan
2009-11-19, 03:37 PM
While contingency is a solid spell for defense, there are, if Balur's Gate 2 has taught me anything, exceptions to standards. If by chance you gain insight into the enemy, contingency makes for a great offensive spell, especially if you need alot casted earlier on and the dm has nixed clerity or you havn't reached time stop yet. Just pop in some debilitating or particulary damaging for that situation type spell, set the trigger to X creature after X was said or performed. Wham, extra spell(s) off in round 1, may just tip the tides. Though this requires some deal of forethought.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-19, 03:47 PM

I assume that all personal buffs are limited by my personal physical limitations unless stated otherwise. Any status effect that I would reasonably be aware of could be a pretty reasonable trigger. Likewise any status sufficiently obvious, affecting me, that anyone seeing me would notice it.

Sure, by the raw text, you can set any condition you like, but the caveat regarding overly complicated triggers is clearly meant to preclude you getting utterly ridiculous with it. This isn't a big problem though, as you can set extremely useful, simple, triggers. Speaking is particularily good, as you have complete control over the use of it.

For amusement, pick a very common word of Common as a command word. IE, something that would likely be said if you were mind controlled.

The feat that lets you have piles of contingencies is also awesome.

Edwin
2009-11-19, 03:55 PM
The feat that lets you have piles of contingencies is also awesome.

And not particularly balanced.

dyslexicfaser
2009-11-19, 03:57 PM
"Whenever I am physically restrained (grapple, magical or otherwise), activate Translocation Trick."

Sneak off under the guise of Evil Henchman #3, or get a free backstab on the gloating villain.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 04:01 PM
And not particularly balanced.

Awesome doesn't have to be balanced, it's just that awesome.

Edwin
2009-11-19, 04:05 PM
Awesome doesn't have to be balanced, it's just that awesome.

Depends on the view point.

Awesome can be something as simple as Power attack. It's great at what it does, most melee types have it, and it doesn't break the game in any way at all.

Optimystik
2009-11-19, 04:06 PM
"Whenever I am physically restrained (grapple, magical or otherwise), activate Translocation Trick."

Sneak off under the guise of Evil Henchman #3, or get a free backstab on the gloating villain.

Careful. The henchman gets a will save - you don't want your "oh ****" button to be will negates, as Murphy's Law will kick in at the worst possible time. Equally bad, if either of you look too different for the disguise check to work, the spell fails, and you can't always guarantee that you'll be up against humanoids. It's better to contingency something surefire like Dimension Door than something that shaky.

If you must use TT, swap with the fighter or a near-humanoid summon - someone who can win the grapple check (or at least, won't be overly hampered if they lose) and can make the disguise check.

Logalmier
2009-11-19, 04:44 PM
Contingent Ray Deflection.

Rays are deadly. Keep them away with this simple Contigency!

Doc Roc
2009-11-19, 05:27 PM

No, it's not bad. It's absolutely terrible. It... why? Why would you do that? It's an immediate action!

RAW:
Contingencies are omniscient, or nearly so.:smallfurious:
RAMS:
Decide something you like, with the GM, and talk it over. Most people allow don't allow detection of thoughts, for example.:smallsmile:
RAI:
Contingency is a spell that no one would ever use very much, because why would wizards plan?:smallamused:

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-19, 06:20 PM

You could probably say: See invisibility when I succeed on a listen check to notice sounds of feet moving, when no non-friendly creature is apparent.

This is not RAW. The spell states that you name a trigger condition. Whenever that occurs, the contingency triggers. There is no limiting information on it.

By RAW, you can state something along the lines of "Cast Mage Armor on me whenever someone exactly 400 miles from me eats tomato soup while Ethereal".

The first time someone exactly 400 miles from you, eats tomato soup, while ethereal? You get mage armor. It doesn't matter that you don't know. The spell does not state that it is (or even that it can be) oblivious to its trigger.

I've actually used Contingency as an alarm before. "Cast teleport upon me, whenever someone possesses an unsheathed weapon within 40 feet of the center of the infirmary."

If someone draws a weapon, or has one? Poof, I'm there.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-19, 10:37 PM
"Contingency Celerity upon my being the target of an attack or negative effect"

What this translates to:

"Even if you jump me in a surprise round, I still act before you do"

Zeful
2009-11-19, 10:55 PM
This is not RAW. The spell states that you name a trigger condition. Whenever that occurs, the contingency triggers. There is no limiting information on it.

True, but that doesn't mean that the conditions aren't convoluted. "When a caster with a higher caster level attacks me"? How can you determine caster level simply?

Samb
2009-11-19, 11:42 PM
Could you contingent a celerity with the condition: when I become dazed or stunned?

So I use celerity and then get stunned it kicks in again so I get another standard action?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-19, 11:51 PM
Could you contingent a celerity with the condition: when I become dazed or stunned?

So I use celerity and then get stunned it kicks in again so I get another standard action?

Nice idea!

Unfortunately, contingency kicks in just after the condition is satisfied. I don't believe celerity actually removes dazed/stunned conditions, so you'd end up getting an extra standard action when you couldn't use it.

You could always make the trigger: when I cast celerity

That should work. And, if you have multiples, amusing things happen.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-20, 12:18 AM
While contingency is a solid spell for defense, there are, if Balur's Gate 2 has taught me anything, exceptions to standards. If by chance you gain insight into the enemy, contingency makes for a great offensive spell, especially if you need alot casted earlier on and the dm has nixed clerity or you havn't reached time stop yet. Just pop in some debilitating or particulary damaging for that situation type spell, set the trigger to X creature after X was said or performed. Wham, extra spell(s) off in round 1, may just tip the tides. Though this requires some deal of forethought.

Contingency can't do that in 3.5 Edition. Now it can only cast spells on the caster.

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 12:47 AM
"Contingency Celerity upon my being the target of an attack or negative effect"

What this translates to:

"Even if you jump me in a surprise round, I still act before you do" intense anger when an annoyed party member slaps you
There we go :smallbiggrin:

Flatulous
2009-11-20, 01:35 AM
I'll list my faves by spell level, using core only. The main use of contingency is to save yourself when you cannot act. This usually means when surprised or flatfooted.

1st level: grease - when charged
2nd level: bear's endurance - when dropped to between 0 and -9
3rd level: blink - when attacked while flat-footed
4th level: polymorph - when HP drops below 0, or you could trigger it when grappled. The look of surprise on their face is fun to imagine.

"haha, I have grappled a skinny little helpless wizard"
"haha, I'm actually a war troll! "

5th level: mage's private sanctum - if scried upon (this one is great)
if your game doesn't have enemies who are tricky enough to scry on you, swap it for Break Enchantment - triggered when you are under the affect of anything that can be fixed by Break Enchantment. that one is nice.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-20, 01:39 AM
There we go :smallbiggrin:

And how, precisely, do you figure that?

Samb
2009-11-20, 02:59 AM
Nice idea!

Unfortunately, contingency kicks in just after the condition is satisfied. I don't believe celerity actually removes dazed/stunned conditions, so you'd end up getting an extra standard action when you couldn't use it.

You could always make the trigger: when I cast celerity

That should work. And, if you have multiples, amusing things happen.

So I cast celerity, the contingency kicks in, I get another celerity. So I should be dazed for 2 rounds after this. But I use one of my new standard actions to cast celerity again, thus making a profit of one turn..... So by the time I am dazed it will be after combat because I will have finished the encounter as an immediate action (ie not even on my turn).

Well good thing wizards don't have a metamind cheat or this could be a real problem.

Korivan
2009-11-20, 03:23 AM
Contingency can't do that in 3.5 Edition. Now it can only cast spells on the caster.

Blasts!!!! oh well, its still awsome.

As for the clerity thing. I like using some defensive spell that puts me safely out of immediate range (or near enough).

Fizban
2009-11-20, 03:46 AM
That's news to me. Can you explain that, please?

Edit: ah, "Will negates (harmless)"
I don't think that significantly degrades the usefulness.
Actually I'm pretty sure that situation wouldn't happen. Helpless creatures are always considered willing, so harmless effects should affect them no problem, and depending on how nice/mean your DM is (and just who's unconscious) hostile effects are likely to pass without a save too.

Speaking of Feather Fall ... another option is to trigger a Contingency to go off "when I cast Feather Fall." That way, you can customize the triggering condition to whatever bad happens to you; essentially, you've given one other spell an immediate action casting time, for the price of a L1 and L6 spell slot.

If using this strategy, you might want to buy a Ring of Feather Falling, so that you never have to waste your Contingency to prevent actual falling damage. :smallamused: Also, of course beware of things that can insta-disable you, leaving you unable to cast Feather Fall.
Alternatively, you can use the niche spell Deep Breath (I think that was it): immediate action 1st level spell lets you get a magically large breath of air, letting you avoid making con checks until you want to put your life on a static bonus vs. increasing DC check. Although either is somewhat situational, somehow you usually end up more likely to fall off a cliff than you are to get pulled under the water, assuming of course you're not on a boat.

Now if you're sailing off a waterfall you're going to need a non-spell trigger there.

Doc Roc
2009-11-20, 04:20 AM
Blasts!!!! oh well, its still awsome.

As for the clerity thing. I like using some defensive spell that puts me safely out of immediate range (or near enough).

Like... Lightning leap?
Complete Mage. LoS Teleport without the [Teleportation] descriptor, and with a free lightning bolt attached that does up to 15d6.

onthetown
2009-11-20, 06:55 AM
There's a powerful NPC wizardess in our campaign who's pretty high up in the food chain. I tried to attack her once; it was a bad idea.

Just attacking her activated some sort of Lightning spell, multiple save spells that made you various stages of incapacitated, and a few more damage-dealing spells. It was intended to kill no matter who was attacking her, obviously, and put whoever it was in a pretty substantial amount of agony while it was killing you. If she liked you (or if you have friends in the tower, which you had better hope for if she doesn't like you), you were taken to the infirmary and Resurrected at your own cost, and it was a pretty powerful deterrent against ever attacking her again. If nobody liked you, well... she doesn't have to worry about you attacking her again anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2009-11-20, 07:40 AM

Actually, by RAI it seems that contingency is a bit more knowledgeable than you think.

From Complete Arcane: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a&page=4)

"Triggers for contingent spells are usually events that happen to the bearer of the spell, and can include death, contracting disease, exposure to a breath weapon or to energy damage, falling, exposure to poison, exposure to a dangerous environment (trapped by fire, plunged underwater, and so forth), succumbing to sleep or fear effects, gaining negative levels, or being rendered helpless, deafened, or blinded."

A couple of those (particularly death, contracting disease, exposure to poison and falling asleep) can happen without the caster's knowledge - therefore it seems that the spell is capable of reading the caster's body in some way and watching for triggers that may not be available to his conscious mind.

Tehnar
2009-11-20, 09:11 AM
I base contingency triggers off the magic mouth spell. If magic mouth wont react to a trigger then contingency wont as well.

Additionally I allow contingency to act as a reaction to any status effect on the caster (such as poisoned, stunned, etc..). And of course triggers like when I speak a phrase or wave my hands, etc..

Other conditions simple fail to activate.

Also I require that the casters specify the exact effects of the spell. That is they can't just tie teleport to a contingency and not specify where the spell will take them.

Lysander
2009-11-20, 09:52 AM
Ooh, here's one:

Dimensional Anchor on myself if I would otherwise be teleported or planeshifted against my will.

As for triggering conditions I think we all agree on a few things. It can be:

1. Your command, either verbal or mental
2. Something you can perceive
3. Something that directly affects you
4. A physical or mental condition

Tyndmyr
2009-11-20, 10:06 AM
So I cast celerity, the contingency kicks in, I get another celerity. So I should be dazed for 2 rounds after this. But I use one of my new standard actions to cast celerity again, thus making a profit of one turn..... So by the time I am dazed it will be after combat because I will have finished the encounter as an immediate action (ie not even on my turn).

Well good thing wizards don't have a metamind cheat or this could be a real problem.

See also, arcane fusion, greater arcane fusion.

For those times when two world ending spells as an immediate action just isn't enough.

Doc Roc
2009-11-20, 12:31 PM
1: Sanctum Spell
2: Arcane Fusion
3: Cackle
4: Profit

Akal Saris
2009-11-20, 01:27 PM
For an NPC villain:

Contingent Disintegrate on myself and my items when reduced to 0HP! You'll never have my loot, fools!

Douglas
2009-11-20, 01:40 PM
For an NPC villain:

Contingent Disintegrate on myself and my items when reduced to 0HP! You'll never have my loot, fools!
Sorry, but by RAW this would turn you to dust but leave your loot completely unharmed.

Slayn82
2009-11-20, 01:53 PM
Yes, the villain-disapearing-after-defeat trick is better acomplished with astral projection anyway, with bonus points for not being deterred by dimensional anchor.

Ormagoden
2009-11-20, 02:34 PM
Invisibility (or greater)| Contingency "After I cast my (sick destructive bbeg killing spell)"

Geas "I cannot harm, heal, hurt, buff, protect, or hinder anything or anyone until I am no longer under the control of another creature." |Contingency "I become under the control of another creature"

Dimensional anchor| Contingency "I am subject to a teleportation effect not cast by myself or (list specific allies)

Lesser globe of invulnerability| Contingency "If myself or an ally within 10 feet is targeted with 3rd level or lower spell not cast by myself or (list specific allies)"

Invisibility sphere| Contingency "If myself or an ally within 10 feet become surprised or are targeted with a sneak attack or death attack"

Extended gentle repose| Contingency "I die."

True strike| Contingency "I cast a harmful or hindering spell that requires an attack roll"

Expeditious retreat| Contingency "I call for a full retreat."

Did I miss anything fun?

Optimystik
2009-11-20, 02:47 PM
For an NPC villain:

Craft Contingent Disjunction for that (intentionally failing your will save, of course.)

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-20, 02:50 PM
Craft Contingent Disjunction for that (intentionally failing your will save, of course.)

:smalleek: Why do you hate your players?

Optimystik
2009-11-20, 02:55 PM
:smalleek: Why do you hate your players?

Oh I don't; 'twas merely a thought exercise. :smallwink:

Eldariel
2009-11-20, 03:10 PM

Or just Death Throes. Take a page from Balor's playbook!

Slayn82
2009-11-20, 03:15 PM
So, some of my favorite contingencies:smallbiggrin:

Lesser globe of invulnerability (enemy starts casting dispel magic against me or my itens)

Polymorph: Self (Troll) (casts Tenser's transformation)

DuelWard (imediate counterspell, +4 for spellcraft checks for counterspelling, this one is more usefull for priests in the campaigns i've played, actually, as i usually take a feat that allows for imediate counterspell, when i dont go right for waterdeep guildmage prestige class)

Tenser's transformation (in a fighter or ranger, for an extra punch)

Shield of fire/ice (as above, helps a little against grapplers)

The thing to remember is that using craft contingent spell is a little expensive, for a one shot. And if the conditions are not worded carefully, or if you find some dispell magic trap, well, you will have a bad day. And after used, you can end without that money, as when the enemy sends a henchman to strike you, knowing that those contingencies will take days to be replendished. Of course, most GM's forget to put the clocks to tick in their adventures... (a lvl 9 spell with minimun caster level costs 15,300gp - thats 16 days to create, and a lvl 6 spell with caster's lvl 11 takes a week):smallsigh:

Also, its possible to put a contingency spell over your familiar while retaining one contingency over you, even without Craft contingency. Arcane jar is a good one. Just let your familiar take something strong and cast Tenser's Transformation over him... Good times:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Yeah, Deathtroes goes well with arcane jar and familiars...

Augmented Lurk
2009-11-20, 04:43 PM
I like to have a contingent Otiluke's Resilient Sphere centered on myself. You're practically invulnerable to everything, so you can basically buff yourself beyond all reason while your opponent pointlessly tries to hack away at an invisible globe.

Akal Saris
2009-11-20, 05:24 PM
Sorry, but by RAW this would turn you to dust but leave your loot completely unharmed.

CURSES, You've foiled me for the last tiiiiime!

Doc Roc
2009-11-20, 05:53 PM
I like to have a contingent Otiluke's Resilient Sphere centered on myself. You're practically invulnerable to everything, so you can basically buff yourself beyond all reason while your opponent pointlessly tries to hack away at an invisible globe.

Or just uses dispel magic, or split ray disintegrate, or Ruby ray of reversal....

Yeah.

Schylerwalker
2009-11-20, 06:12 PM
Oh, my favorite use for a villain is easily:

Contingency > Magic Jar: If I ever drop to -10 hitpoints or lower, my soul is whisked into the prism around my neck.

It was so funny. They're in this battle with a different villain, and their friend the shopkeeper busts into the throne room, cackling in a familiar voice and hurling familiar spells.

"OMG WTF WE THOUGHT YOU DIEDED?!!?"

None of them knew about the Magic Jar spell. I shrugged and said "The cleric suspects he's some sort of lich." They promptly fled. :smallbiggrin:

Augmented Lurk
2009-11-20, 09:19 PM
Or just uses dispel magic, or split ray disintegrate, or Ruby ray of reversal....

Yeah.

I never said it was 100% invulnerable, but not everyone is going to have disintegrate, and dispel magic is going to work maybe 50% of the time. It also completely screws non-casters, who can't deal any damage to it.

taltamir
2009-11-20, 10:18 PM
speaking is a free action.

contingency to cast spells based on what you say.

EX: Cast a contingency spell to cast heal on yourself if you utter the words "Cont-Heal-Me". As a free action you may cast heal on yourself that way.
"Cont-stoneskin-me"
"cont-fireproof-me"
"cont-buff-me"
"cont-teleport-me"
etc...

then there are things like "cont-disintegrate-pointed". which shoots a disintegrate at whatever you are pointing at.

You can make as many of those as you like... and you can also completely break the game because you can cast an infinite amount of spells per turn this way.

Crow
2009-11-20, 11:16 PM
I would love to get ahold of contingent Reincarnation. Now THAT would be fun.

tyckspoon
2009-11-20, 11:18 PM
You can make as many of those as you like... and you can also completely break the game because you can cast an infinite amount of spells per turn this way.

The actual Contingency spell is limit one. Craft Contingency gives a you a number equal to your HD. That's nowhere near unlimited- it just feels like it when you can rack up 10-20 different countermeasures or free-action activated spells.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-20, 11:34 PM
I also believe that Contingencies must affect you. So no Disintegrate rays.

Akal Saris
2009-11-20, 11:50 PM
Well, excepting my use of it :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2009-11-21, 12:55 AM
Well, excepting my use of it :smalltongue:

*sweeps up Akal's dusty remains*

Here's a question for the masters of plan B in the thread; is it possible to bypass the "only affects me" rule with careful spell selection? Say my contingency is "cast Magic Circle Against Evil if a dominated ally comes within 10 feet of me." The spell still targets you, but the emanation it generates will suppress any harmful enchantments on your friends. Would that work?

Samb
2009-11-21, 12:58 AM
See also, arcane fusion, greater arcane fusion.

For those times when two world ending spells as an immediate action just isn't enough.

Hmm celerity infinite loop, is that possible?
Contingency (celerity): kick in at the start of an extra action.
So I cast celerity or greater celerity triggers contingency celerity once I start my extra turn. This triggers the next one until the end of time or until I forego the extra turns.

Of course this will end the game because I have infinite time (time stands still, forever) or if I forego my extra turns I'd be dazed for ever.

Maybe do another contingency for favor of Illmater to bypass the daze effect altogether? Would need to be a mystic thuerage to gain access to that spell. Also not sure if you can contengent divine spells....

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-21, 01:09 AM
*sweeps up Akal's dusty remains*

Here's a question for the masters of plan B in the thread; is it possible to bypass the "only affects me" rule with careful spell selection? Say my contingency is "cast Magic Circle Against Evil if a dominated ally comes within 10 feet of me." The spell still targets you, but the emanation it generates will suppress any harmful enchantments on your friends. Would that work?

Yes. The spell must affect you. There's no rule stating it must ONLY affect you. If you're willing to eat a chain lightning, you can bounce it to enemies. ;)

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 01:27 AM
Hmm celerity infinite loop, is that possible?
Contingency (celerity): kick in at the start of an extra action.
So I cast celerity or greater celerity triggers contingency celerity once I start my extra turn. This triggers the next one until the end of time or until I forego the extra turns.

Of course this will end the game because I have infinite time (time stands still, forever) or if I forego my extra turns I'd be dazed for ever.

Maybe do another contingency for favor of Illmater to bypass the daze effect altogether? Would need to be a mystic thuerage to gain access to that spell. Also not sure if you can contengent divine spells....

Yeah, infinite loops are available. They are, however, complex. I believe we previously solved this by proving turning completeness of the Vancian casting system, resulting in us being able to code spellcasting.

The best part? No matter how complex, by raw, all that processing happens instantly.

Also, with regards for dazing, celerity doesn't stack with itself. Dazing only happens "until the end of next turn". Still, I suggest some way of making yourself immune to daze.

Celerity and Contingency are all sorts of fun.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-21, 01:35 AM
Yeah, infinite loops are available. They are, however, complex. I believe we previously solved this by proving turning completeness of the Vancian casting system, resulting in us being able to code spellcasting.

The best part? No matter how complex, by raw, all that processing happens instantly.

Also, with regards for dazing, celerity doesn't stack with itself. Dazing only happens "until the end of next turn". Still, I suggest some way of making yourself immune to daze.

Celerity and Contingency are all sorts of fun.

Favor of the Martyr is one of my more favorite methods. Level 4 paladin spell.

Doc Roc
2009-11-21, 02:21 AM
You may be thinking of my Dorfls.

Gray5656
2009-11-21, 10:33 AM

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this discussion? I absolutely must show that to my DM :smallcool:

Doc Roc
2009-11-21, 12:49 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this discussion? I absolutely must show that to my DM :smallcool:

Technically, it's turing complete, but not turing equivalent, because divination can be used to resolve the reachability problem in constant time.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 08:54 PM
Not offhand, but it wasn't a terribly old thread, so search might turn something up for you.

Lysander
2009-11-23, 11:51 AM
What about "Greater Dispel Magic: Counterspell Any Harmful Magic of X Spell Level or Higher"