PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PEACH] Rehashing Devoted Tracker (CA)

Golden-Esque
2009-11-19, 12:41 PM
Devoted Tracker
Type: [Normal]
Source: Complete Adventurer
Prerequisites: Track, Smite class feature, Wild Empathy class feature.
Benefit: If you have levels in paladin and ranger, those levels stack for the purposes of determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability and determining the bonus for your wild empathy class feature. This feat does not allow additional daily uses of smite evil. If you have both the special mount and animal companion class features, you can designate your special mount as you animal companion. The mount gains all the benefits of being both your special mount and your animal companion. In addition, you can multiclass freely between the paladin and ranger classes. You must still retain your class alignment in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the Devoted feats and the Aesthetic feats, however, I have a serious issue with Devoted Tracker in general. The way its wordered, it's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to get anything "cool" as a special mount.

For example, let's say you want a Lion. As Large creatures, Lions fullfil the size requirement to be a Medium-sized creature's mount, and as Animals they are eligible to be an Animal Companion. However, with a Challenge Rating of 5 and a -3 penalty to effective Druid Level, you need a Ranger Level of 11th in order to befriend a Lion, and a Paladin Level of 6th before you can ride one. Therefore, you need to wait until 17th level in order to obtain a special mount / animal companion. I think that's kind of silly, especially since you're weakening most of your other class features for this bonus, so here's the rehash I suggest.

Devoted Tracker
Type: [General]
Prerequisites: Track, Smite Evil, Wild Empathy class feature.
Benefit: If you have levels in paladin and ranger, those levels stack for the purposes of determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability and determining the bonus for your wild empathy class feature. This feat does not allow additional daily uses of smite evil.

If you have both the special mount and animal companion class features, you can add your Paladin level to your effective Druid level for the purpose of determining what alternate animal companions you qualify for, and your Ranger level to your Paladin level for the purpose of determining what alternate summon mounts you qualify for (this ability does not grant your mount/compaion's additional bonuses or special abilities; it can only be used to determine what alternate creatures you can select). In addition, you can designate your special mount as you animal companion. The creature gains all the benefits of being both your special mount and your animal companion.

Also, unlike a Summoned Mount, your animal compaion has no duration, but you can summon and dismiss it to an extraplanar realm that matches your alignment as a full-round action. After dismissing your animal companion this way, it cannot be summoned again for a number of hours equal to 24 - your Wisdom bonus (if any).

In addition, you can multiclass freely between the paladin and ranger classes. You must still retain your class alignment in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

ErrantX
2009-11-19, 12:56 PM
I made a version of that feat here, actually, as I also did like that feat.

I called mine Devoted Hunter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7022738&postcount=6).

-X

Golden-Esque
2009-11-19, 07:09 PM
I don't know, tacking Favored Enemy onto the list of merges seems a little too good to me. After all, in order to warrant a super-powered compaion/mount, you should have to give up something.

I also consider my version more of a clarification of original rules that an outright fix; I think the fact that you need to wait so long to get a slightly better companion, as well as a lack of clarification onto how the Summon /Dismiss works is a flaw with the original feat.