PDA

View Full Version : Heroscape for D&D terrain?

Asbestos
2009-11-19, 02:41 PM
Have people used this? What're you're opinions on it? Are people aware that Master Set 3 will be D&D themed (and the models appear to be straight up copies of DDM models) and will have cavern/dungeon tiles?

I've never used them myself or even seen Heroscape out of the box, but I'm sure someone in these forums can tell me what's up.

Ormagoden
2009-11-19, 02:44 PM
The tiles are pretty big (like 3-4 times the size of a medium dnd mini's base)
I've seen pics of people use this stuff for settings.

The problem ends up being table space...the tiles are so big only a 30x30 grid would fit on a small table. (folding square card table for example)

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-19, 02:46 PM
Heroscape is also hex grid, correct? So you'll have to adjust for that as well.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but if you look around, you can find rules for hex grid use in DnD.
IIRC it was in the 3.x Unearthed Arcana...hex grids and facing.

Asbestos
2009-11-19, 02:55 PM
Heroscape is also hex grid, correct? So you'll have to adjust for that as well.

Yeah, not too worried about Hexes. I was unaware that the tiles were so large though.

Person_Man
2009-11-19, 03:00 PM
I use it. Bought 2 used sets off of E-Bay for dirt cheap. It works quite well for any outdoor battles, and I've found that it adds an extra level of strategic depth.

Potential difficulties:

Hexes don't work well for dungeons, so you'll need something else for underground (I use a wet erase map).
The figures are scaled for 28 mm, and the standard for most other figures is 25 mm. So they're a bit bulky when used on standard sized maps, but not unworkable.
About half of the figures are futuristic in nature, and half are stock fantasy (elves, norse, dragon, etc). If you want your figures to exactly represent what you're playing in your game, half will be useless. But that's never been an issue for me.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 03:02 PM
That'll work great for me, seeing as how I use 28mm minis for DnD.

Asbestos
2009-11-19, 03:23 PM
I use it. Bought 2 used sets off of E-Bay for dirt cheap. It works quite well for any outdoor battles, and I've found that it adds an extra level of strategic depth.

Potential difficulties:

Hexes don't work well for dungeons, so you'll need something else for underground (I use a wet erase map).
The figures are scaled for 28 mm, and the standard for most other figures is 25 mm. So they're a bit bulky when used on standard sized maps, but not unworkable.
About half of the figures are futuristic in nature, and half are stock fantasy (elves, norse, dragon, etc). If you want your figures to exactly represent what you're playing in your game, half will be useless. But that's never been an issue for me.

I have a ton of DDMs, so I'm not too worried about needing minis. I was actually thinking of picking up a masterset or two via ebay and then selling the figures within as one big lot.

Has anyone used Hexes in 4e?

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 03:29 PM
Not personally, but you can still use the hexes and facing rules from Unearthed Arcana...it seems pretty universal.