PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Feat: Instinctive Spell (PEACH)

Lysander
2009-11-19, 03:01 PM
This feat wouldn't be used most of the time, but could be a real lifesaver in some situations:

Instinctive Spell
An instinctive spell is one you are able to perform expertly without devoting any thought to it, the way some animals can perform complex feats with limited mental talents. You can cast instinctive spells even if your intelligence, wisdom, or charisma is too low to normally cast that spell. Furthermore, you are able to cast the spell when appropriate even with an intelligence as low as 1, including when affected by Feeblemind, though you may be limited to the simplest and most obvious application of that spell.

An instinctive spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

TabletopNuke
2009-11-19, 03:09 PM
This is a good concept, but seems overpowered. One of the costs of being able to cast extremely powerful spells such as polymorph any object or wish is the high ability requirement.

However, spell-like abilities do not have this requirement. You could tweak the dragonmark feats from Eberron and change the flavor, perhaps adding a caster level requirement.

DracoDei
2009-11-19, 03:15 PM
As a counter to a rather narrow range of attacks, this seems fine to me. I MIGHT make it +2, because the effects it negates are more powerful than Silence (which is countered by Silent Spell), but then again Silent Spell is also useful if you are trying to be stealthy.

Satyrus
2009-11-19, 06:33 PM
I would definitely say up the spell slot penalty to +2. Or else limit which spells one can apply this feat to, probably evocation or adjuration spells since things like illusions and necromancy generally have some deeper thought on how they are used.

I feel illegitimate without an avatar, I must find one!

Lysander
2009-11-19, 07:41 PM
I would definitely say up the spell slot penalty to +2. Or else limit which spells one can apply this feat to, probably evocation or adjuration spells since things like illusions and necromancy generally have some deeper thought on how they are used.

Some necromancy/illusion spells would be appropriate though. For example turning invisible to escape a threat, or blasting an approaching enemy with Finger of Death. Even something like Silent Image could work with simple tricks like making a big monster to scare away an enemy.

Temotei
2009-11-19, 10:47 PM

Avatar Adoption Center (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26936)
Request an OotS Style Avatar XV (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33589)

There you go. :smallsmile:

This seems overpowered. Maybe you should specify the restrictions of the feat. If there are no restrictions other than being limited to the simplest use of a spell, you should raise the spell level increase to +2.

Latronis
2009-11-19, 11:10 PM
That kinda screws up wizards who must prepare the spell as metamagic though

Lysander
2009-11-20, 09:55 AM
That kinda screws up wizards who must prepare the spell as metamagic though

Yeah, wizards wouldn't be able to prepare instinctive spells if they lack the mental capacities to prepare spells. Once they use up whatever instinctive spells they have prepared they'd be out of magic. Ideally they'd have an instinctive spell to restore their faculties.

Sorcerers on the other hand could remain a 1CHA 1INT sorcerer indefinitely.