PDA

View Full Version : Stacking rings of wizardy?

deuxhero
2009-11-19, 07:53 PM
Does more than one (or 3 with a Hand of Glory) (the examples are given as a level 4 sorcerer and first level spells/rings)
1.Give another double the unaugmented number of spells (first ring doubles your 3 for 6 total, the second give you 9)
2.quadruple your spells (first ring give you 6, then the second gives you 12)
3.You can only benefit from one ring at a time.

I doubt it's two though.

ericgrau
2009-11-19, 08:26 PM
Due to the wording I'm inclined to say #3. Otherwise it'd be #1 via D&D math (2 x 2 = 3). The reason I say #3 is that it seems like the doubling applies to your original number of spells. So 1 ring would give you 6 total spells (not counting bonus spells) and a second ring would also give you 6 total spells. You could talk to your DM about allowing #1, though. Unless you're boosting your highest or second highest level spells it'd be hard to abuse.

Gorbash
2009-11-19, 08:41 PM
By RAW, it's #3, since it just gives you double your base allotment, not additional 4 spells per day.

Although why would you buy one, let alone two Rings of Wizardry, is beyond me. They're not worth it.

deuxhero
2009-11-19, 09:21 PM
Curious, though I have heard good things about fueling things that take spell slots with them (versitle spellcaster, arcane strike).

Justyn
2009-11-19, 09:23 PM
By RAW, it's #3, since it just gives you double your base allotment, not additional 4 spells per day.

Although why would you buy one, let alone two Rings of Wizardry, is beyond me. They're not worth it.

Is is worth it to make one?

penbed400
2009-11-19, 10:25 PM
Not really, I'm not completely sure. I guess it matters on how often you're going to be using the same spells.

You could make one for 10,000 gold for the level 1 ring and get the 4 extra spells a day or you could make 20 level 1 pearls of power for the same price. Then you just pull them out of your bag or wear them as a necklace or something, cast off of them and put them back to use tomorrow. I think the difference is that the ring lets you prepare different spells but the pearls only let you recall spells that you've already cast. So variety or copious amounts. If you're focused and going to use magic missile a lot then the pearls may be better but if you want to use magic missile, ray of clumsiness, mage armor, etc. then you might want the ring.

At least I think thats why they're saying it's useless. I don't know if you can use that many pearls but I haven't seen anything against it as RAW unless I missed something.

Epinephrine
2009-11-19, 10:27 PM

With the exception of duskblades, I agree. Since duskblades can get 10 3rd level spells per day it is cheaper to get a ring of wizardry than 10 3rd level pearls of power, and since Vampiric Touch is a staple spell for a Duskblade they really could burn through their spells.

That and spontaneous casters - they can't use pearls of power. If you have the MIC there is an equivalent for spontaneous casters at 1.5 times the cost, but if you are playing core there is no way for a sorcerer to use a pearl of power-type item.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-19, 11:38 PM
Is is worth it to make one?

Well, if you have a minion with a crafting feat to take the xp hit instead of you, it *might* be. You'd probably have to be well ahead of WBL for it to be practical though.

I'd only really bother with one if, after grabbing several pearls of power, I still needed more juice.

Hida Reju
2009-11-19, 11:47 PM
I have to admit for a Wizard they are not really worth it, Max of +4 spells even of lvl 4 is not really worth the cost.

But for a Caster like a Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, or Warmage they are worth thier weight in gold if you use the Versatile Spellcaster feat. Then a Ring of Wizardy 3 is worth 6 spells that could also be converted to 3 lvl 4 spells. That starts to add up for a while and gives you extra power to lay down some interesting spell combos.

The reason I did not say sorcerer is due to the fact that they know so few spells that even boosting up to the next tier does not get them very far. The Beguiler on the other hand can twist things around nicely with that many more spells at his disposal since he can use anything on his list.

EDIT: Also you should be able to Wear a Ring of Wizadry 3 and 4 with no problems since they would not conflict. Two of the exact same ring would seem to fall under the same rules for stacking issues but it is open to interpretation.

Gorbash
2009-11-20, 02:12 PM
Problem is, at the level you have enough money to buy a Rnig of Wizardry (I), you don't really need that many first level slots. Except in some extraordinary sircumstances where you're dependant on them for some reason I'm not aware of or if you're in a survival type of campaign and every extra spell slot is worth it... But I'd still go with the pearls.

I'm playing a lvl 14 Wizard, and only first level spells I ever use are Nerveskitter, Enlarge Person and Benign Transposition. Yeah, I prepare other 1st lvl spells, but since I have 45 higher lvl slots, why the hell would I need an extra 4 of first lvl?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-20, 02:16 PM
That's the crux of the issue...it's just too expensive.

If you were really in that hardcore of a survival campaign, you'd take a reserve feat instead and/or wands and/or pearls.

I mean, look at wand prices...how many days would it take to make up the price difference even if you cast every first level spell every day? Given the more realistic situational nature of needing so many first level spells, I suspect it'll never break even.