PDA

View Full Version : [Nobilis] She Blinded them with Lies!

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 08:35 PM
In Nobilis, there's an enemy type called the Deciever. Among their abilities, they have something called The Blind Lie. Basically, they tell someone a lie so powerful, the victim is incapable of seeing any contradictory evidence whether they believe it or not. I think it's a cool ability, but I'm not a very creative person. From what I've seen, the most popular use is "I'm not here" for some limited invisibility, but I can't help but think there are other ways of using it. This is where you folks come in; I need ideas, and looking at the posts I see here and in Homebrew, you've got plenty of them. In short;

What are some good Lies to tell in combat to put the PCs at a disadvantage? Likewise, what are some good Lies that'll mess with them in out of combat situations?

Gamerlord
2009-11-19, 08:37 PM
"Luke, I am your father"

Loads, and loads, of confusion ensue.

Tavar
2009-11-19, 08:38 PM
"Dangerous thing is on you", ie, you're on fire? Not really sure, I mean in some games that really wouldn't be a problem. Power level?

Guancyto
2009-11-19, 08:46 PM
Well, I've never actually gotten to play Nobilis, but here's a swing at it:

Would be so much easier if your PCs weren't gods though. :smalltongue: I mean, "dude, what are you doing under the ocean with no breathing apparatus? You're gonna drown" would be great but, y'know, gods.

The stock ones would be something like "your fellow PC has been plotting to destroy you."

Or "you've been plotting to destroy your fellow PC."

Or maybe
"you've never existed"
"your portfolio is really waffles, you should help them proliferate"
"I'm your best friend in the whole world so why don't we go hit that Waffle House over there and forget about this whole deal"
"you're a waffle dreaming it's a butterfly dreaming it's a man dreaming it's a god."

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 08:47 PM
The thing is, they don't automatically believe the lie, they just can't see anything contradictory. So, the Vader treatment would probably just render any paternity tests invisible. The fire one has potential, though; if they aren't on fire, they can't perceive themselves. Instant existential crisis in a can, one that can only be solved by being lit on fire, which is awesome.

As for power level, it's Nobilis, so "I shoot down the sun with my crossbow" and "I hereby decree that fire no longer harms left-handed people" are all possible with basic characters.

streakster
2009-11-19, 09:06 PM
"You have no allies" is good. They can't call for backup, because their contacts list is invisible. Also, "your "x" does not exist" is helpful - they have to manipulate their Domain blindly now. "We're on your side" means they can't see the bad things you're doing. "It's very, very dark" will get rid of all the light. "This is a dead end" is a favorite, because they won't see the door to the room your nefarious plots are in. "I'm in Japan" is also great for not being noticed.

If you're truly feeling evil, hit 'em with "I'm the Duke of Lies, and I'm here to help." Easy to pull off, and they won't be able to see any slips you might make in the acting. You just shoot that innocent dude? They didn't see it. Just make sure they don't know him, of course.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-19, 09:26 PM
"You are mortal."
"This world is a tawdry place, in need of rebirth."
"You have no bonds (or anchors)"
"The estate of sight is gone." or more simply "You are blind"
"X is an Excrucian" (for suspicious people)

Other options include lying about things they already knew but hadn't told others (evidence et al), lying about integral parts of creation (particularly ones own estate), and lying about basic faculties they'll need.

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 09:41 PM
"You have no bonds (or anchors)"

Oh, I like this one. Time it right, and arrange for an anchor to get hospitalized during a mugging or something while the effect's active. Not only will the Noble lose their service, but the Anchor may resent the Noble for abandoning him/her; you can build a pretty decent Nettle Rite out of it.

dyslexicfaser
2009-11-19, 09:41 PM
"The world is evil, cleanse it with fire!"

"Your buddy over there is made of cheese, and smells delicious. You are also very hungry."

Temet Nosce
2009-11-19, 09:49 PM
Oh, I like this one. Time it right, and arrange for an anchor to get hospitalized during a mugging or something while the effect's active. Not only will the Noble lose their service, but the Anchor may resent the Noble for abandoning him/her; you can build a pretty decent Nettle Rite out of it.

Indeed, it's a great setup for a truly hideous rite against the Noble. Also, have you read the Peculiar books? They aren't really relevant to this discussion but if you're running Nobilis you really should.

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 09:57 PM
Indeed, it's a great setup for a truly hideous rite against the Noble. Also, have you read the Peculiar books? They aren't really relevant to this discussion but if you're running Nobilis you really should.

Peculiar books? I've got the core book and Unlikely Flowerings. Are there others?

Temet Nosce
2009-11-19, 10:09 PM
Peculiar books? I've got the core book and Unlikely Flowerings. Are there others?

Unlikely Flowerings in the first Peculiar Book. Jenna just released the second last month, let me dig up the link. Here you go (http://imago.hitherby.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/creatures-clothed-in-strangeness-hitherby-release.pdf)

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 10:17 PM
Unlikely Flowerings in the first Peculiar Book. Jenna just released the second last month, let me dig up the link. Here you go (http://imago.hitherby.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/creatures-clothed-in-strangeness-hitherby-release.pdf)

You are extremely awesome. :smallcool: