PDA

View Full Version : Fan wielder extraordinaire (Temari build, 3.5)

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 12:03 AM
I am in need of assistance in making a friend of mine a character for a campaign I am co-DMing. The campaign is in a Sandstorm-style setting, with extravagant, over the top combat.

My friend, the nerd that she is, wants to make Temari from the Naruto anime. I would say no normally, but the build possibilities are rather interesting so I said maybe.

I need ideas, and perhaps a build or two to present her. The requirements are as follows:

I. must be able to control wind in some way
II. must be able to do damage with said wind
III. must be at least mildly acrobatic, the more the better
IV. Must use a giant fan and/or two smaller fans that do decent damage

The campaign starts at lv. 7 and will go up to 20th. Gold is standard and all books but Psionics and Incarnum are allowed. Homebrew is allowed if I approve of it with the other DMs review.

Help me? Please??? >.<

P.S. For those who aren't nerds (heh :P) here is a tribute AMV that is a alright summarization of Temari's abilities...minus the additional pauses and singing

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 12:07 AM
Sand Shaper is the obvious choice. You could go Duskblade/Sand Shaper, but I'm not sure if that would give you any wind related powers.

Spirit Shaman would do it. Hm... Dunno about the fan though. There may be stats for a War Fan in either OA or UE.

Kylarra
2009-11-20, 12:10 AM
I know OA has one, it's an exotic weapon and not very good though iirc.

icefractal
2009-11-20, 12:23 AM
Too bad Psionics aren't allowed, Kineticist would be a good fit; they can Control Air, use a number of attacks with a Sonic option (some of which also knock people back), and have Telekinetic Thrust.

Failing that - Sorcerer might work, with some reflavoring of certain spells. You could use Wings of Flurry to represent attacking in melee with the fans, and Wings of Cover for blocking with them. Then just get some spells that fit - Telekinesis comes to mind - flavor them as wind, and you're good to go. As far as acrobatics, take the feat (Cosmopolitan? Educated?) which gives you a couple skills as class skills and you've got Tumble and Balance. And of course you can get a flight spell to flavor as improbably leaping.

If going this route, I would not recommend multiclassing. Sorcerers already have a somewhat delayed casting progression.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 12:34 AM
yeah, I know. I like Psionics, their just to hard to follow mentally for us two dms. As to Sorcerer: I like the idea, is there any spell that would allow Temari's Slashing Whirlwind Jutsu?

Also, is there any Prc that assists in Air spells/e.t.c? not electric, air or maybe sonic

Zaq
2009-11-20, 12:44 AM
I'm thinking Swordsage. I have no idea what this Temari fellow is like, but a Desert Wind and/or Setting Sun swordsage can probably do a lot of what you want. Also, there's a collapsable fan weapon in Sandstorm. I don't remember if it's any good (it probably isn't), but it exists.

Also, check out some of the air elemental grafts from Magic of Eberron.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 12:45 AM
Defenestrating Sphere is a must. Cutting Wind could be simulated with Wings of Flurry.

Hida Reju
2009-11-20, 12:47 AM
Well in our group we used a redonkulus amount of Scrolls and had huge Use magic device checks and quick draw to represent Jutsu use.

It works out better since its not something you can pull out every day but makes a big difference when a high lvl scroll. As for the attack I would use Blast of Flame with Energy Substitution Sonic Metamagic.

Also keep around Gust of Wind/Wind walls as scrolls.

As far as the Psionic thing, There was a bunch of threads of how to use Psionics to make every single Naruto character. Sad its gone and Tome of Battle does little for ranged attacks except for shadow or fire.

Sounds like Scrolls and UMD is your best bet to get the feel you want. Also you can count her fan as having multiple Wand Slots and then pull the magic from wands.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 12:54 AM
I really like the UMD +scrolls/wands ^^

If I were to allow this, and probably make a Air Graft/Rod of many wands/Two handed Battle fan, what would be a good feat for her? She would need to be nimble but also be able to bring the hurt with the fan. Maybe a Feat Rogue?

Rogue 7
2009-11-20, 03:00 AM
I'm thinking Swordsage. I have no idea what this Temari fellow is like, but a Desert Wind and/or Setting Sun swordsage can probably do a lot of what you want. Also, there's a collapsable fan weapon in Sandstorm. I don't remember if it's any good (it probably isn't), but it exists.

Also, check out some of the air elemental grafts from Magic of Eberron.

Psst! Temari's a chick. A totally kick-ass chick.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ru900p.jpg

Spirit Shaman would probably work, adding in a mix of a martial class for her physical abilities. Swordsage would most likely work best from a ninja-type perspective. And hell, I'm really bored, I'll throw together a build.

Gonna homebrew in her giant fan, as I looked at the Sandstorm weapon and it's puny. Assuming a 28 point buy, not bothering with skills or magic items beyond a +1 weapon and armor.

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=167755)

Build is Spirit Shaman 5/Swordsage 2. I picked maneuvers that I thought favored mobility and agility over pure damage dealing. Spell-wise, go through the books and pick out druid spells that do wind effects, plus some buffs and summons. I ruled her fan gave her a bonus on those types of spells.

icefractal
2009-11-20, 03:27 AM
is there any spell that would allow Temari's Slashing Whirlwind Jutsu?There are several:

* Flaywind Burst (Sandstorm, 5th) is a good fit. Does damage in a large cone, knocks people back. Not great damage, but no SR and pwns swarms and small creatures.

* Blast of Sand (Sandstorm, 4th) is the same thing without the knocking people back.

* Channeled Sonic Blast (PHB II, 5th level) gets greater effect the longer you take casting it (up to a 60' radius), and does sonic damage, but it isn't a very good spell. If you're the DM, I'd reduce all the casting times one step (so you get the 1-round effect from a standard action, the 2-round effect from one round), and bump the 10-die cap to 15 dice.

* Boreal Wind (Frostburn, 5th) is similar to Flaywind burst, but a 20' wide line instead of a cone and lasts multiple rounds. Actually quite a nice spell.

Also, if you're the DM, you could consider having a feat like Energy Substitution, but for Slashing damage. With that applied, most AoE spells would be a reasonable fit.

Iku Rex
2009-11-20, 04:52 AM
...here is a tribute AMV...Nope. Forget the link?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 09:08 AM
I am away from my books ATM.
But Isn't there a vistage that has a bunch of wind stuff.

as far as fans go. I belive war fans where more finesse then brutality.. so i would prolly make them eaither using the dagger states or shortsword..
mabye a 1d4 dmg with a 18-20 crit. or some thing...

other then that there isn't a lot but if she goes binder for the air thing
it fits all your needs
I. must be able to control wind in some way - vistage ability
II. must be able to do damage with said wind - vistage ability to do dmg
III. must be at least mildly acrobatic, the more the better - im sure another vistage can help with this one
IV. Must use a giant fan and/or two smaller fans that do decent damage - mostlikly gonna have to homebrew the item.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 10:07 AM
Rogue 7...I love you!!! ^o^

I'm not to happy about the Spirit Shaman thing, I actually think it needs to be like the 4.0 Shaman Class personally, but after reading your selected maneuvers/e.t.c the swordsage looks great.

I will still be using the Wand+Fan idea, so a spellcasting class will be unnecessary. so now....what feats would be good for her? Knowing the girl, she would want to play the character mostly with personal combat and use the wind like a finisher.

Rogue 7
2009-11-20, 10:40 AM
So the build would be what, straight swordsage? I've been playing one in a low-level game and they're fantastic. The War Fan limits your options in terms of pure damage, because you need Strength, whereas with Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade, wielding a Shortsword at level 3, I have a +8 to attack rolls and +4 to damage. But since fans wouldn't qualify for that, she'd need strength as well. Adaptive Style is good if you run into an encounter you're not really prepped for (and one of the folks in a game I was in tried to argue through RAW, it lets the Swordsage regain all her maneuvers. Would have broken the class, it would have.), and more maneuvers is always handy.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 04:08 PM
Unless there is a class or prc that would be better yes, a 7th lv. Swordsage. I would add Warfan into Desert Winds signature weapons list (we expanded most of them besides said one and White Raven) 'Temari' is most likely adaptive, not being the most badass but most likely to live the longest. She'll be neutral, chaotic neutral, or chaotic good (depending on the player).

All Prcs are allowed, besides obviously broken ones that only the looniest of dms would allow. All feats are allowed.

Douglas
2009-11-20, 04:31 PM
and one of the folks in a game I was in tried to argue through RAW, it lets the Swordsage regain all her maneuvers. Would have broken the class, it would have.
Broken? What? Did you even bother to look at what the Crusader and Warblade recovery mechanics are? The default Swordsage recovery method is so far behind it's pathetic. Changing it to all maneuvers with a full round action and a prerequisite feat is still way behind "I can still attack this round" or "it happens automatically, no action", but it's close enough to be reasonable with the greater number of maneuvers known and readied.

Tome of Battle characters were designed to be using a strike, and possibly a boost or counter, almost every round. Swordsages without Adaptive Style refreshing everything can't do that in any combat that lasts more than a very few rounds.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 05:12 PM
I have to agree with the above statement. Though the RAW is questionable, I will bring it up to the other DM to see if we will allow it. :smallcool:

Douglas
2009-11-20, 06:05 PM
There's a pretty wide consensus and an official statement from WotC that Adaptive Style does refresh all maneuvers by RAW. There's a compilation of Tome of Battle questions and official answers somewhere on the WotC forums, and this is one of them.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-20, 07:03 PM
true, and I respect each and every statement from both sides of the argument. I ask that people refrain from debating about it on this thread however, thank you in advance.

Rogue 7
2009-11-20, 08:52 PM
Huh. Even without that, I'm still far and away the strongest character in our game. Shadow Blade, Weapon finesse, and a pimped out dex score is fun.