PDA

View Full Version : Destruction Vs Disintigrate

Latronis
2009-11-20, 07:22 AM
fairly similiar spells, and as a cleric even the same level.

But it is imo a little bit odd. Especially when Disintigrate(not destruction) is apart of the destruction domain and destruction has it's place in the death domain.

So I'm wondering what sort of ramifications could be expected if i simply... switched the names over?

So we have Destruction as disintigrate is now, being in the destruction domain, and disintigrate as destruction is now being the save or die in the death domain, and being in the wiz\sorc list.

olelia
2009-11-20, 09:03 AM
I'm pretty sure this question is best in the gaming forum, not the homebrew.

Latronis
2009-11-20, 09:15 AM
uh I'm pretty sure the game affects of changes to spells qualifies as homebrew

DracoDei
2009-11-20, 09:16 AM
Perhaps that would be more effective, perhaps not, but swapping them does technically qualify as homebrewing them, so...

elliott20
2009-11-20, 10:25 AM
well, for the wizard, it's basically trading a far range blasting spell for a short range save or die spell, which I think is a pretty good trade for the wizard. After all, there is no upper limit to what a destruction can destroy but a disintegrate caps off at 40d6 at CL 20.

True, a disintegrate has MUCH better range (4 times, I think), but barring it being a really good blast-y spell, I say destruction is better there.

so end result? wizard gets another save or die. (And a pretty good one at that), clerics lose one of their major save or dies and gets a decent damage dealer. (but ultimately, still a damage dealer.)

Latronis
2009-11-20, 10:52 AM
Maybe comparisons would be better in gaming. Tbh I never even thought of that since i've been working on homebrew changes.

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 11:03 AM
Since it's a death effect it fits better under the death domain. Blame lousy spell naming, not domain spell selection.

Latronis
2009-11-20, 11:10 AM
My problem is with the name :smallbiggrin:

However Wizards have pretty much always had 'Disintigrate' however it's handled mechanically

Zaydos
2009-11-20, 11:10 AM
Are you actually switching effects or just names (which is what I thought)?
If you're switching names do what you want just tell your players. Honestly I'd say Disintegrate works better with the name disintegrate since it is used in large part to disintegrate objects (i.e. it's a generic disintegration spell as opposed to living only) and Destruction is well a better Finger of Death.

If you're switching abilities on the domain lists only I'd say that I agree Disintegrate works better on the destruction domain than Destruction since Disintegrate destroys objects. That also means it doesn't belong on the death domain where Destruction a death effect does.

If you are switching abilities completely (which I don't think you are but I'm covering it regardless) I'd say not to. Destruction is a better Finger of Death (same range, marginally improved effect on a failed save, deals 10d6 damage on a successful save compared to 3d6+CL which is lower until CL 25 at which it is +.5 average damage) and shouldn't be less than 7th level. Disintegrate is noticeably worse against living targets (5d6 on a successful save and just heavy damage on a failed with the chance of disintegration which destruction does too) and requires a ranged touch, it's main use is versus constructs and undead so it would prove a nerf to wizards to replace it with a level higher destruction but a buff to do so with a Lv 6 destruction.

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 11:14 AM
My problem is with the name :smallbiggrin:

However Wizards have pretty much always had 'Disintigrate' however it's handled mechanically

Whoops. I see. How about just switch the name and now wizards cast "destruction" (i.e., the same spell as before).

Destruction is usually stronger. Both do 10d6 on a passed save, but in the case of a wizard only at level 20. On a failed save disintegrate does 40d6, while destruction outright kills. Sometimes disintegrate gets used on objects and undead, or sometimes destruction gets stopped by a deathward, but usually this is not the case. The main advantage of disintegrate is that it's level 6 for a wizard.

Latronis
2009-11-20, 11:51 AM
So nothing fits exactly no matter what I do (without functionally changing spells)

If I switch names (and wizards therefore get a destruction spells that is functionally disintegrate instead of giving the wizards the renamed destruction)

You get destruction in the destruction domain which is a damage dealer that may disintegrate a person. And disintegrate in the death domain as the save or die that may get blocked by deathward or the like.

As far as items are concerned I think disintegrate and destruction both work as names. And since both spells try by different means to erase a body to nothing (or very little) Both can work as names for that too(personally disintegrate sounds like it would leave less to me than destruction which sounds more like breaking down rather than removing).

Ok thanks all you've helped me reach a better conclusion than i originally proposed