PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds (Gestalt)

kspn
2009-11-20, 07:40 AM
I am looking at starting a M&M game soon, and have been looking over the rules ect.

I am a little confused about the Gestalt power and was wondering if anyone could help out (or if anyone had a character sheet that I cold use as a reference for building a character)

Thanks in advance

kamikasei
2009-11-20, 07:54 AM
What specific questions do you have? The power in itself is straightforward enough, but its interactions with other things that have you confused might not be.

Consider the basic case: a PL 10 game, a gestalt character with two components.

The gestalt character will be built like a regular PL 10 character except that one of his powers will be gestalt. The components are limited to half his PL (actually it's stated in terms of power points but this just means that if you're playing with more or fewer points per level that they'll match up). This means he can have Gestalt 5 (or lower, but there's no particular reason to bother...). The components are two PL 5 characters who are, mechanically, completely distinct from one another and from the gestalt character (though presumably they'll have thematic similarities). The components don't take Gestalt.

You can increase the number of components using the Progression feat, which makes the power cost more for the gestalt character.

kspn
2009-11-20, 08:03 AM
The main thing I am a little confused about is the cost of the ability and the limitation of it.

I am considering a Captain Planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet) Type character that has 5 components (kids) who each have a specific ability..... Ok I am cloning the character.

From the info it would need Gestalt + 1 Progression for the 5 'parts' but I am unsure about the limits.

I am looking at starting with a PL8 character

Prime32
2009-11-20, 08:08 AM
Think of it like the Summon (Minion) power, except that you disappear while the minions are out.

kspn
2009-11-20, 08:10 AM
Think of it like the Summon (Minion) power, except that you disappear while the minions are out.

Aaaaaaand that was another one I was going to ask about at some point..... (I am a complete n00b when it comes to this game but it looks fun)

Edit: Is there any good websites that have sample characters? (I have M&M 2nd ED & Crooks!)

kamikasei
2009-11-20, 08:32 AM
The main thing I am a little confused about is the cost of the ability and the limitation of it.

I am considering a Captain Planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet) Type character that has 5 components (kids) who each have a specific ability..... Ok I am cloning the character.

From the info it would need Gestalt + 1 Progression for the 5 'parts' but I am unsure about the limits.

I am looking at starting with a PL8 character

...yes. The Time and Value Table always confuses me, but I think that since the power starts out with two components, one application of the Progression feat gets you up to five components, a second gets you up to ten, etc.

So your Major Globe would be a PL 8, 120 point character with 5 points spent on Gestalt leaving 115 points to give him actual abilities. Then those 5 points get him 4 ranks in Gestalt and one Progression feat, which means he can break down in to five component characters each PL 4 with 60 points apiece.

Aside from that the Gestalt is mechanically irrelevant to the characters and you can use their points to give them whatever you want up to their power level limits, just as normal.

kspn
2009-11-20, 08:38 AM
So from what I understand of what you are saying, The number of 'parts' is irrelevant, they are all at 50% PP of the main Character?

I can see that being interesting with 2 or 3 progressions.....

Sounds cool, that does help quite a bit.

kamikasei
2009-11-20, 08:43 AM
As far as I can tell, yes. Of course, being half the PL of the other heroes means they're not going to be too terribly awesome even if there are a lot of them; and since it's M&M, if you get too ridiculous your GM will tell you "no" regardless of how rules-legal it may be.