PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic items for a Beguiler?

AngelOmnipotent
2009-11-20, 07:59 AM
In one of my current games I'm a Beguiler 7 / Mindbender 2. For character concept, I'll be going all the way through Mindbender.

Any tips for what magic items to use? Normal level 9 WBL, I've already got a headband of Int +4 and a Veil of Allure, but what else? I've never actually played a Beguiler past level 5 or so and just end up feeling pretty hopeless in fights against enemies that are immune to my spells; undead, constructs, etc.

deuxhero
2009-11-20, 08:38 AM
You have UMD? Wands of Cure Light Wounds/Lesser vigor and a runestaff with some spells not on your list.

The rainments of something or other set in MIC also allow using your spell slots to fuel a few spells a number of times/day.

dsmiles
2009-11-20, 08:43 AM
If you have a poor Charisma, go for the cloak of charisma-boosting-ness...I forget the in-game name. Great boost to all your bluff, diplo, disguise, etc.

quiet1mi
2009-11-20, 09:02 AM
To set things straight...

You are never useless if you you cast haste,greater invisibility on the party, slow on the enemy, mirror Image/greater mirror Image upon yourself and Aid another while flanking...

The end result is that you give your power attacking friend +4 to hit or +8 damage, an extra attack, the ability to hit the monster's flatfoot.

unintelligent undead auto fail disbelieve checks so use those silent image and make either a globe of darkness on their heads or surround them with a wall... Because they are programmed not to run into walls they will not go anywhere. Even if they interact with the illusion, they do not have a collection of memories necessary to challenge an illusion.

This leaves Intelligent undead and Constructs with true-seeing... the true-seeing constructs/undead are especially dangerous as you cannot mirror image yourself for protection. Grease on the other hand, works on everything... provided that you do not read the PHB 2 errata... Glitterdust does not allow for spell resistance so it is fair game for magic immune constructs... Fog Cloud, Solid Fog and Obscuring mist does limit even magic immune constructs with trueseeing as they cannot see beyond 5 ft and have to deal with non magical concealment 20% for melee attacks, 50% for reach attacks/ranged attacks and require a non-sight way of finding the target...

If you take Darkstalker out of the lord of madness, the only way to detect you is to beat your hide check with a spot check.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-20, 09:07 AM
The Raiment of the Four set can really help out your spell list. A Circlet of Rapid Casting is good to have, and keep in mind you can upgrade/combine +4 Int on it at no additional cost. There's no reason not to get a +1 Mithral Buckler, it has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure, and you can eventually upgrade it to Reflecting. Eternal Wands from MIC are good to have, especially with UMD, I'd get Web and some other useful low-level spells that you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-11-20, 09:07 AM
I've taken Darkstalker and Mindsense, but the DM rules that all undead regardless are immune to Illusions, period. (yeah, I know...). Can you aid another in melee with a ranged attack? Then again I'd only need to hit an AC of 10 anyway. I hadn't thought about that.

I guess I'm just not used to playing this kinda class at this level. I can almost guarantee that I'll get to a situation where I wish I could have used a magic item I forgot to buy :smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-20, 09:15 AM
Undead aren't immune to Glitterdust, fog effects, Slow, etc. You should have plenty of options already for dealing with undead.