PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Scout help?

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-20, 09:37 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT HARDCORE OPTIMIZATION. I am simply looking for options I missed/have not thought about in creating a quick, mobile, melee skirmisher.

Hey folks,

I’m messing around with a Barbarian/Scout build. I was looking for some advice!

Here is the current breakdown:

Race: Human

Barbarian 1/ACF: Lion Totem (Pounce for Fast Movement), ACF: Whirling Frenzy (Rage Variant)

Scout 3/Scout Class Features (Skirmish 1d6 +1 AC, etc…)

Feats: Dodge, Quick Draw, Two Weapon Fighting

I’m sort of looking for advice of where to go from here. The concept is that of a fighter who closes quickly with his opponent and attacks in something that looks like a whirlwind of sharp edges. I’m keeping max ranks in tumble so that I can utilize the DC 15 “move around an opponent without provoking AoOs” to keep up with skirmish while I have the room to do so in close quarters.

Specifics I’m looking for:

PrCs that might be interesting. Dervish is obvious, but not one I like the fluff of (dancing. This guy is not a dancer) and this is kind of an RP heavy campaign, so I don’t want to sacrifice fluff for crunch to the degree where my quiet, non-charismatic, mildly-un-fun-loving barbarian scout knows how to foxtrot for the sake of a PrC (exaggerating of course, but you know what I mean). I’d really like a PrC that is sort of scoutish, that can emulate the fast moving strike-and-retreat I’m envisioning. Barring that, I might end up with tempest, but would prefer something more scoutly.

Skill Tricks: I just think these are cool and feel I can’t play a scout without at least looking at them. Extreme leap is one I like right off the bat. Point it Out, Hear the Unseen, etc., also seem fun. Any suggestions? (PS: This does also mean the Battle Trickster PRC looks cool to me).

Feats: The above listed feats are nebulous and there because I’m leaning towards taking Spring Attack at some point. Spring Attack + High Tumble = Mobility in close quarters against multiple opponents as I can ignore the DC increase from my spring attack target and tumble around other dudes.

EDIT: Also, this character is desert-based...I don't have sandstorm, but could probably make use of it...

But anyways…further thoughts and ideas?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 09:39 AM
Get rid of Dodge and Quickdraw, unless they are prerequisites for something.

Dip ranger for TWF, and use a two handed weapon in our main hand with armored spikes as your off hand weapon.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-20, 09:46 AM
Get rid of Dodge and Quickdraw, unless they are prerequisites for something.

Dip ranger for TWF, and use a two handed weapon in our main hand with armored spikes as your off hand weapon.

Dodge->Mobility->Spring Attack

Quick Draw was mostly flavor.

While your idea is awesome and I am filing it away, like I said, RP-heavy campaign and that type of build would have the DM looking at me like "Hrmmmm..." He is sort of shy about letting people into this game (It's like a side game in our normal group) because he's new too and I don't want to overwhelm with my tendency to try and be totally awesome. I really am looking for something more like a swift skirmisher. But still, good advice and thanks, just not flavorful in the way I'm looking for.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 09:49 AM
Dodge->Mobility->Spring Attack

Quick Draw was mostly flavor.

Spring Attack is good, but it take several bad feats to get.

Quick Draw is really unecessary, as you can draw a weapon as a free action in conjunction with a move action. More to the point, you don't get many feats and you will probably want to spend your feats on important things such as pre-requisites first, such as for Spring Attack.

Build wise, you may want to rethink your current setup.

You may want to consider starting out as a Ranger2/Barbarian1/Scout1, which leaves you 3 free feats. You may want to consider something like Extra Rage.

Then you could prestige class into Dread Commando from Heroes of Battle, which seems to fit in with your character's abilities.

Or you could go Ranger2/Barbarian1/Scout1/Ranger3/Horizonwalker, which gets you some useful abilities such as the ability to Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds.

Incidentally, fast movement can be achieved by Boots of Striding and Springing at lower levels and Boots of Speed at higher ones.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 10:00 AM
Dodge, Quick Draw, Two Weapon Fighting
Dodge is a bad feat, quick draw is a bad feat.

Feats: The above listed feats are nebulous and there because I’m leaning towards taking Spring Attack at some point.
Spring attack is a truly atrociously god awful feat. You can just move, make a single ranged attack and do just as much damage and not worry about having to take 3 lousy feats, tumbling and AoOs at all. If everyone is really intentionally disoptimized (ie. significantly worse than the iconic characters) it might fly, but in a normal party you won't contribute significantly like this.

But anyways…further thoughts and ideas?
What books can you use? What are your feelings on the various magic systems? (There are various ways to jump in, do a full attack and jump out ... but they generally require some magic.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-20, 10:06 AM
I see a distinct lack of Swift Hunter in this thread. This disappoints me. Does no one here own CS?

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-20, 10:11 AM
If everyone is really intentionally disoptimized (ie. significantly worse than the iconic characters) it might fly, but in a normal party you won't contribute significantly like this.

We have a Samurai and a Monk. Optimization to that degree isn't a huge concern.

I will take another look at Spring Attack, of course, especially since I can just tumble and will basically auto-succeed at DC 15 in a few levels.

I am avoiding ranger levels as there is another ranger in the party, so I don't want to step on his toes.

I will go on up and clarify in my first post...I'm not looking for hardcore optimization. I'm looking for interesting options to build a fast, mobile, melee skirmisher build. But again, thank you for all your help, you guys are really sort of showing me stuff I missed and will make use of in more "dangerous" games.

EDIT: And to address swift hunter thing...like I said, other ranger in the party, and he will probably be doing that.

Dimers
2009-11-20, 10:14 AM
Particularly with your existing feat choices, I'd say Elocator. You need a level in a psi manifesting class to take it (I think it just requires 1st-level powers), and psi powers are easy to present as "battle mindset". Elocator gets lots of skill points, useful skills, and movement-related tricks like the extra 5-foot step every round. The only downside I can see is that you can't manifest new powers while frenzying -- you'd have to use them first.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 10:16 AM
Maybe you should just go straight psychic warrior and use psionic powers for Pounce, fast movement, and etc.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 10:19 AM

I will take another look at Spring Attack, of course, especially since I can just tumble and will basically auto-succeed at DC 15 in a few levels.

I am avoiding ranger levels as there is another ranger in the party, so I don't want to step on his toes.

I will go on up and clarify in my first post...I'm not looking for hardcore optimization. I'm looking for interesting options to build a fast, mobile, melee skirmisher build. But again, thank you for all your help, you guys are really sort of showing me stuff I missed and will make use of in more "dangerous" games.

EDIT: And to address swift hunter thing...like I said, other ranger in the party, and he will probably be doing that.

The problem with the auto succeed at dc 15 is that is only when you would be moving through 1 threatened square.. if you want to run by a person and attack him it would be dc 25 i belive.
The best way to do a spring attack is to clip his threaten box... just the corners if you can.

also a sugestion would be to pick up
If you do go down the spring attack route i would pick up
dual strike
it allows you to spring attack and hit with both your weapons, if you have a decent dex i would also sugest picking up combat reflexes.

Fastmover
2009-11-20, 10:19 AM
Thief Acrobat is nice for moving through groups unhindered.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-20, 10:20 AM
Hrm…Psionics. I hadn’t thought of that. ::makes notes::

As far as books, almost anything but ToB, ToM, and MoI is allowed.

From SRD:
"Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC."

So I could still tumble more than one square, or tumble away and move back in for an attack, correct? Or am I misinterpreting the rule?

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 10:23 AM
This isn't about optimization ... this is about disoptimization at this point. You have to play down to their level, in that regard spring attack might work.

The problem at this point becomes pounce ... Lets say you hit BAB+6 and you get haste, at that point you are doing 6 attacks on a charge. It starts becoming really really really hard to justify spring attacking. I really think you should get rid of the Lion Totem ... it's just too good.

HARLEYDUDE
2009-11-20, 10:26 AM
I had a build almost just like this. it was a full scout with a single level dip into barbarian. i used the multiple fast movements plus the quickness trait, and fleet of foot feat from PGtF. so i moved about 60' /rnd. I TWF with a large warmace CW (having strong arm bracers MIC) and a throwing ax in off hand. on my turn I would use the feat "Quick Reconnoiter" to get a spot check as free action, to use the skill trick "spot the weak point" granting a touch attack. then spring attack in with dual strike. there is also a pair of boots in the MIC (i dont remember the name) that allows 1/day during a spring attack for you to become a lightning bolt for all your movement during a spring attack.
i chose to stay away from the ranger or rogue multiclass because i wanted the skirmish to get as high as poss. I think i also had the improved skirmish feat.
HD

Faleldir
2009-11-20, 10:27 AM
If you're not planning on taking Elusive Target, you could at least take Expeditious Dodge instead.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 10:28 AM
Hrm…Psionics.
Psionics+pounce works really nice, you can charge, full attack and then hustle (extra move action) the hell out of dodge.

Now that's a real spring attack.

dsmiles
2009-11-20, 10:28 AM
Hrm…Psionics. I hadn’t thought of that. ::makes notes::

As far as books, almost anything but ToB, ToM, and MoI is allowed.

Definitely look into Elocator. Look in Exalted Deeds (Champion of Gwynharyf[?spelling]) for some interesting choices.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-20, 10:30 AM
This isn't about optimization ... this is about disoptimization at this point. You have to play down to their level, in that regard spring attack might work.

The problem at this point becomes pounce ... Lets say you hit BAB+6 and you get haste, at that point you are doing 6 attacks on a charge. It starts becoming really really really hard to justify spring attacking. I really think you should get rid of the Lion Totem ... it's just too good.

Actually this comes down to playstyle for me (the character will never charge after the initial attack, for example, preferring to stick close and be highly mobile), but it is a part of why I won't be making these crazy convoluted builds. At heart, I am an extreme optimizer. There is only one other player who shares that with me, and he is a model lesson in how not to be an ass...he is also an extremely experienced DM.

Admittedly, I am still wondering about that Samurai...

deuxhero
2009-11-20, 10:35 AM
See if you can convince the DM to allow some swift hunter replacement for a barb.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 10:55 AM
Actually this comes down to playstyle for me (the character will never charge after the initial attack, for example, preferring to stick close and be highly mobile)
Spring attacking is not sticking close though ... if this is what you want wouldn't it be better to just look for a way to move more than a 5 foot step and still full attack? (So you would walk around him and attack.)

LemonSkye
2009-11-20, 10:57 AM
If you're planning on going the Spring Attack route with a Scout, I highly, highly suggest taking Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) instead of Dodge. It gives you a flat +2 dodge bonus to AC (against all opponents) in any round that you move 40 or more feet. This dovetails very nicely with Skirmish, and you can use it in place of Dodge to meet prerequisites. You might also want to consider a level dip into Swashbuckler for Weapon Finesse.

As for Prestige Classes, Tempest is a good choice if you're going the TWF route (plus you get Two Weapon Spring Attack), but don't discount Thief-Acrobat. I haven't found anything better for sheer mobility, and while the fluff paints the class as a catburglar, it's "in and out" nature applies to the Scout as well. Dread Commando, from Heroes of Battle, might also be to your liking.

With Pounce, you're going to want to focus on boosting your charge attacks. Take the Twisted Charge skill trick as soon as you can, or, if you get the Run feat for free from somewhere, take the feat Fleet of Foot (Complete Warrior). Both of these allow you to make a direction change of 90° or less during a charge. If you decide to take the 3rd level of Barbarian, take the Dashing Step level substitution (Dragon 349) in place of Trap Sense. It eliminates the -2 penalty to AC when charging, and allows you to add 1/3 of your Barbarian level to your AC against AoO's when charging. Powerful Charge and Greater Powerful Charge (both Miniatures Handbook and Eberron Campaign Setting) both allow you to add extra damage to your charge attacks.

Riffington
2009-11-20, 12:52 PM
Why am I seeing such hate for Quickdraw in this thread?

On the first round of combat, he wants to charge in. Well, that's a full-round action. Drawing a weapon can be combined with a move action, but that doesn't mean it can be combined with a charge... So what do you quickdrawhaters want him to do? Spend the first round not charging? Charge barefisted? Walk everywhere with his sword in hand?

Also, regarding "PrC"s: you could consider a dip into Warblade or Swordsage. Sudden Leap is almost as good as Spring Attack.

dsmiles
2009-11-20, 12:55 PM
Nothing wrong with quickdraw. I have used it with many a two-weapon-dagger-throwing rogue.

Boci
2009-11-20, 12:57 PM
Nothing wrong with quickdraw. I have used it with many a two-weapon-dagger-throwing rogue.

Melee doesn't need quickdraw generally.

On the first round of combat, he wants to charge in. Well, that's a full-round action. Drawing a weapon can be combined with a move action, but that doesn't mean it can be combined with a charge... So what do you quickdrawhaters want him to do? Spend the first round not charging? Charge barefisted? Walk everywhere with his sword in hand?

Walk around with weapons drawn? Ask your DM to allow you to draw weapons on a charge?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 12:59 PM
Why am I seeing such hate for Quickdraw in this thread?

Also, regarding "PrC"s: you could consider a dip into Warblade or Swordsage. Sudden Leap is almost as good as Spring Attack.

I don't think i've seen any one restrict the whole draw as move action on a charge... I actualy had to go look up the RAW of it seeing as I have never heard that a fighter type couldn't draw a weapon while charging... didn't make any sense to me...

So then I guess he would need to check with his GM to see if he needs quick draw for charging.

Fitz10019
2009-11-20, 01:05 PM
This advice depends on how many Scout levels you're planning to take...

Scout gets bonus feats at 4th, 8th, 12th, etc. The list of feats to choose among is very weak. It does, however, include Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack. If Spring Attack is really what you want to do, have some patience and plan out your feats so that you're using the Scout bonus feats to realize your Spring Attack theme.

Ormagoden
2009-11-20, 01:15 PM
IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT HARDCORE OPTIMIZATION. I am simply looking for options I missed/have not thought about in creating a quick, mobile, melee skirmisher.

I should have put this in my lonemouse post! U R da smrtest!

Skill Tricks: I just think these are cool and feel I can’t play a scout without at least looking at them. Extreme leap is one I like right off the bat. Point it Out, Hear the Unseen, etc., also seem fun. Any suggestions? (PS: This does also mean the Battle Trickster PRC looks cool to me).

The movement skill tricks.
Safe stand and nimble stand are recrunkulous!
(esp if your DM likes trip and knockdown)

Acrobatic charge is the sickness.

Person_Man
2009-11-20, 01:24 PM
There's really not much of a reason to have both Pounce and Spring Attack. If you're concerned about keeping enemies 5+ feet away from you, just get reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777) and/or free movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

For the play style you seem to be aiming at (movement oriented melee), I agree with Pharaoh that strait Psychic Warrior is probably the way to go. You might want to consider anything with Turn or Rebuke Undead (Paladin, Blackguard, etc) to fuel the uber Travel Devotion. The core option would be to use Pounce and Ride by Attack - you'd get a lot more damage with a lance anyway, though you couldn't use Skirmish with a Mount (not that Skirmish is worth much anyway).

Keep in mind that movement oriented melee is great outdoors, but sucks when you're in a dungeon (unless you have Earthglide or Burrow, but that's another thread). But given how weak your party is, I don't think its a deal.

Thiramon
2009-11-20, 03:05 PM
Nice to read about a Barbarian/Scout combo - that's actually what I'm playing in our campaign, too, though it's a campaign up to level 40. My hero is half-fluffed / half-optimized. I wouldn't say it's exactly what you want, but it follows the same direction of style/mobility/melee and could give you some ideas:

Half-Orc Barbarian 20/Scout 20 (leveling in that order, so I can't give you any advice when to switch)

Feats: two-weapon fighting, exotic weapon proficiency (double-bladed sword), improved two-weapon fighting, greater two-weapon fighting, power attack, leap attack (up to lvl 20)

Items (or homebrewed feat (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Double_Step_(3.5e_Feat))): Boots of Sidestepping, Belt of Battle (translation?)

The general idea is to have a quick and mobile fighter who can use skirmish in melee. The barbarian starts a fight with a raged leap attack, using his two-bladed sword as a two-handed weapon (to gain a Power Attack x2 +100% by leap attack bonus to his damage). Assuming you cross the needed distance, skirmish dice increase your damage. That's for round one. If you'd like to, you could activate all three charges of your Belt of Battle for an extended attack with Power Attack x2 plus skirmish damage fighting TWF-style.

On round two, you use both your and the Boots of Sidestepping's five foot step to benefit from skirmish damage using the two-bladed sword for a full-round action with TWF. If you can't reach the next enemy with your sidesteps and you didn't use your Belt of Battle's charges in round one, use one charge to gain a movement action to cross the distance to your next enemy, gaining skirmish bonus with it. Otherwise, just have another leap attack like in round one.

Regarding the ability of the two-bladed sword to be used as both TWF and two-handed, you've got lots of options in battle (sunder +4, for example). And it looks pretty cool, too, thinking of a crushing berserker, whirling through your enemies. :smallbiggrin:

For PrC, my advice is Tempest or Highland Stalker (up to lvl 5), both from Complete Adventurer.

Regards,

Thiramon

LemonSkye
2009-11-20, 11:01 PM
The core option would be to use Pounce and Ride by Attack - you'd get a lot more damage with a lance anyway, though you couldn't use Skirmish with a Mount (not that Skirmish is worth much anyway).

Keep in mind that movement oriented melee is great outdoors, but sucks when you're in a dungeon (unless you have Earthglide or Burrow, but that's another thread). But given how weak your party is, I don't think its a deal.

Where does it say anywhere that you can't use Skirmish on a mount? Dragon 346 has an alternative class feature for Scouts that gives them a mount, plus a feat for mounted combat made with Scouts in mind. Why would they do this if it would deny the class one of its key features?

Also, I'm seeing a lot of hatred for Skirmish in general in this thread. It may not have the same damage potential that Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike do, but consider this: Skirmish is a lot harder to protect against than either of those attacks. Why? It doesn't rely on denying your opponent's Dex to AC, which means Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge do absolutely nothing against it. The only real way to protect against Skirmish is to hamper the Scout's movement somehow, which is a lot harder to do if the Scout's being played correctly. With the right feats, skill tricks, and class abilities, the Scout can charge over difficult terrain, run up walls, charge through occupied squares, climb at their full move speed, stand up from prone as a free action, and jump great distances, and all without ever being denied their Dex bonus to AC or provoking AoO's, and several of which still leave them their full attack.

A solid Scout build should take into account all of the different ways that their movement could be hampered, and find ways to protect against them. Because, after all, a true Scout is nothing if not prepared. ^^

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-20, 11:18 PM
Skirmish issues:
It scales worse than SA, which is already slow-scaling.
It requires shenanigans to Skirmish+Full Attack, meaning the traditional methods of boosting # of hits(TWF or Rapid Shot, Haste, etc) are harder.
It's useless against crit-immune enemies(fortunately, Swift Hunter can help with this).
It's not monk-bad, especially with Imp Skirmish, and I love the class, but it does have issues.

And the Errata added that mounts do not work, after people started using a mount+bow to do ranged full-attacks each turn.

LemonSkye
2009-11-21, 12:07 AM
Skirmish issues:
It scales worse than SA, which is already slow-scaling.

Noted.

It requires shenanigans to Skirmish+Full Attack, meaning the traditional methods of boosting # of hits(TWF or Rapid Shot, Haste, etc) are harder.

Noted, but the OP's already overcome this hurdle by having Pounce and Whirling Frenzy from his Barbarian level, which was why I didn't bring this point up.

It's useless against crit-immune enemies(fortunately, Swift Hunter can help with this).

Which puts it on par with SA/SS, unless you've got the feats/magic items to overcome it, most of which would also work with Skirmish.

It's not monk-bad, especially with Imp Skirmish, and I love the class, but it does have issues.

Skirmish is definitely leagues better than the other Scout ACA I've seen, Sniper, which is just atrocious (you take a full-round action to make a single shot, during which you can't even take a 5-foot step, all for an extra 1d6 of damage if it hits (scaling up to 5d6 at 17th level), giving up Skirmish and Fast Movement to do so). Skirmish might not be the best ability ever, but it's not without it's uses, either, which is what I was trying to point out. I've found that things are rarely just "bad". There might be something better, but even things that are often derided or overlooked usually have something to offer.

And the Errata added that mounts do not work, after people started using a mount+bow to do ranged full-attacks each turn.

Seriously? The class seems to be like it was built for something like this. Poor melee classes--they're deemed "broken" if they start approaching damage like the arcane or psionic ones can dish out. Some of us like being on Tier 4-5!

Boci
2009-11-21, 12:13 AM
Skirmish is definitely leagues better than the other Scout ACA I've seen, Sniper, which is just atrocious (you take a full-round action to make a single shot, during which you can't even take a 5-foot step, all for an extra 1d6 of damage if it hits (scaling up to 5d6 at 17th level), giving up Skirmish and Fast Movement to do so). Skirmish might not be the best ability ever, but it's not without it's uses, either, which is what I was trying to point out. I've found that things are rarely just "bad". There might be something better, but even things that are often derided or overlooked usually have something to offer.

I houserule that the sniper variant can make a full attack that does not allow a 5ft step, dealing the bonus damage on the first or all attacks, depending on the power level of the game.

Spirited Charge
2009-11-21, 06:33 AM
Personally, I have found that the Scout/Rouge combo has been really useful for this kind of fighting style. What I used to do was let the heavier fighters make their move to the front of combat, while I got pumped with something along the lines of cat's grace. This not only alowed for a better AC, but also increased the chances of a succesful tumble check. I would swing around a little bit wide before tumbling in behind the biggest threat and getting both the sneak attack and schirmisher bonuses. In order to keep getting that schirmisher bonus, I would, in turn, tumble from oponent to oponent as the need arrised.

I don't really know what to tell you about your feet choices; I find that these are more of a personal touch to use at your own discression.

Thespianus
2009-11-21, 07:21 AM
I don't really know what to tell you about your feet choices; I find that these are more of a personal touch to use at your own discression.

Feet are, however, useful on any skirmish based build, at least until you get access to flying. :smallwink:

Sliver
2009-11-21, 07:55 AM
Why would they do this if it would deny the class one of its key features?

They didn't care about doing it with the monk, doesn't seem like an unusual design concept for WotC by this point..

Spirited Charge
2009-11-21, 10:41 AM
Feet are, however, useful on any skirmish based build, at least until you get access to flying. :smallwink:

Oh...woops! :smalltongue:

jiriku
2009-11-21, 11:29 AM
I like the synergy of barbarian and scout. It creates a very flavorful wilderness warrior but is different enough not to stomp on the ranger's role. One fo the complexities I see for you here is that whirling frenzy encourages a full attack, while skirmish encourages you to move. Pounce bridges those two, but you're correct in seeing that it's not necessarily a good idea to go dashing off after foe#2 if you haven't yet defeated foe#1.

An interesting way to resolve that conflict might be as follows:
bar 1/scout 6/swordsage 2
Take the leaping dragon stance at level 9, along with the battle jump feat. You can also take the leap attack feat for extra damage, but that's purely optional. If you begin your turn adjacent to a medium foe, you can leap clean over him, and doing so will count as a charge. This (a) is enough movement to trigger skirmish, (b) triggers pounce, allowing you to use the bonus attack granted by whirling frenzy, and (c) deals double damage, per the battle jump feat. You'll remain adjacent to your foe, which you wanted, and you'll deliver a flurry of slashing attacks, which you also wanted.

As an added bonus, you can pick up several other useful tiger claw maneuvers for extra fun, like the sudden leap boost, to jump as a swift action, and the hunter's sense stance, to gain the scent ability when not in combat. The aptly named desert wind disciplne offers some cool maneuvers that can support your desert theme too.