PDA

View Full Version : Random gearing questions.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-20, 11:59 AM
3.5 -I'm a grey elf wizard with a strong need for immunity to death effects and negative levels. I'm packing about 25k in gold atm, I'm just shy of level 8, and could probably liquidate a bit more if I cut into my scroll stash. Currently, only my hand slot is in use, by a relatively low cost/power item, so it's swappable as well. My level 9 feat is, unfortunately, already planned for a PrC prereq. All books are legal, but I'm the parties only caster, so I won't be getting buffs from elsewhere. I do have extend spell.

Any reccomendations for the best ways to pick up those immunities as quickly as possible?

dsmiles
2009-11-20, 12:33 PM
Become a Lich or Vampire?

EDIT: Seriously...have you looked in Libris Mortis to see if there's anything there?

Glimbur
2009-11-20, 01:17 PM
Grab a Mithral Buckler with Deathward on it. It's only a +1 equivalent, but it only works 1/day. Get one of those caster-friendly Chain Shirts with Deathward for another use/day.

Or get a Ring of Negative Protection from MiC. 36K, but immunity to negative levels.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 01:25 PM
Immunity to Death effects and negative levels is Cleric/Divine Feat areas, generally speaking, making it look like you'd have to invest in items instead. You could go with a Bone Ring (MIC 75, 20k) or enchant your Bracers of Armor or a mithral buckler with Soulfire from BoED. Those are the things I can think of off-hand.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-20, 03:01 PM
Mmm, deathward isn't a bad idea. After all, it's not that death effects come frequently, it's just that they tend to have high DCs when they do, and the consequences for failure are high. I'll definitely check through all these, and dig through libris mortis again to see if I missed something.

I'm non evil, though(TN), so that does limit the undead options. Also, I don't want to eat the LA.

Custom magic items, as per the DMG formulas are also allowed as is, if that's of any help. =)

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 03:13 PM
Custom magic items, as per the DMG formulas are also allowed as is, if that's of any help. =)

You could just have an item of permanent Death Ward, then, which is 56k and probably not cost effective.

arguskos
2009-11-20, 03:49 PM
I'm surprised no one tossed out Necropolitan yet. MUCH better than Lich/Vamp, gives all those tasty Undead immunities, all for LA 1. Yeah, I know you said you wanted to avoid that LA, but it's probably the most expedient way to get what you want.

Otherwise, get a ring of death ward perhaps? Cieyrin beat me to it. :smallsigh:

Also, if your enemies dish out negative levels in the form of a specific spell, get a Spellblade keyed to that spell. Bam! Never fear that spell again! Spellblade is a +1 weapon enhancement from Magic of Faerun (and nowhere else), and is very very VERY nice.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-20, 04:45 PM
Ring of Diamond Mind(ToB). 1/encounter, roll Concentration instead of Fortitude. Not immunity, but it's a good benefit even in situations where you aren't dealing with death effects.

Also, Necropolitan's LA is...disputed. My interpretation is that it costs just over a level's worth of XP but doesn't have LA. There are several other interpretations.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 04:55 PM
Ring of Diamond Mind(ToB). 1/encounter, roll Concentration instead of Fortitude. Not immunity, but it's a good benefit even in situations where you aren't dealing with death effects.

Also, Necropolitan's LA is...disputed. My interpretation is that it costs just over a level's worth of XP but doesn't have LA. There are several other interpretations.

It's not LA in the strictest sense, just that it costs you a level to get it, plus the additional XP cost besides, so you basically get the LA and then pay it off.