PDA

View Full Version : so what spells do I choose for a religious sorcerer? 3.5

Shademan
2009-11-20, 12:25 PM
class: sorcerer god: olidamarra

ok, usually when it comes to spellcasting I have played clerics or wizards not focusing on any school. but now that I'm about to roll up a sorcerer I am a little more confused, because of the limited spell selection and my own indesessiveness (is that how you spell it?).

I was thinking of giong for illusions and enchantment spells and just saying that he messes with people's minds, but early level illusions seems rather weak to me and focusing on illusions and enchantment don't give me much room for damage dealing.

what other school of spells should I gun for? what fits for a olidamarra worshippin' sorcerer raised by clerics?

Toliudar
2009-11-20, 12:32 PM
Unless I get ninja'ed on this, I'm pleased to offer the following guide:

Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Guide. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801)

Most spells can be reflavoured as "religious" things. Of course, if you really want to go religious with a stealthy focus, the Beguiler class and the Arcane Disciple feat is the way to go. For a pure sorcerer, I would NOT recommend sticking with one or two schools, since you're then missing the great joys of the class for usually fairly limited benefits.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 12:32 PM
class: sorcerer god: olidamarra

ok, usually when it comes to spellcasting I have played clerics or wizards not focusing on any school. but now that I'm about to roll up a sorcerer I am a little more confused, because of the limited spell selection and my own indesessiveness (is that how you spell it?).

I was thinking of giong for illusions and enchantment spells and just saying that he messes with people's minds, but early level illusions seems rather weak to me and focusing on illusions and enchantment don't give me much room for damage dealing.

what other school of spells should I gun for? what fits for a olidamarra worshippin' sorcerer raised by clerics?

have you looked by chance at the beguiler from phb2?

if its core only or core esc then i would stay sorc.. mabye dip rogue a bit.

Shademan
2009-11-20, 12:34 PM
thanks for the guide
8D

I don't the spells to be religious tho'. He's a normal sorcerer, just religious, and grown up with priests, so I figured he'd might choose some spells similar to olidamarra's domains...

EDIT: core only. or at least how I want to keep it

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 12:38 PM
in core only not so much.

If your allowed the spell compedium theres a spell line called
Light of ____
and they make you radiat light and you shoot light bolts out of them there a decent spell line.. but just core not realy a ton of religious esc spells.

Zaydos
2009-11-20, 12:56 PM
First off I'll say Silent Image and Charm Person are potent, but for a 1st level sorcerer not a good (read fun) combination. Cause Fear can be fun and useful to a trickster style sorcerer (mine was core, and descended from a dragon so he had it to simulate Frightful Presence) as well but is worse. As far as a core attack spell that is religiously themed that will be hard to find for Lv 1. Grease is a debuff that could work for a trickster character (I grease your stuff you drop it :P), Color Spray is an offensive illusion spell that knocks out low level creatures (hint carry a scythe) and then there is Sleep. Then there's obscuring mists (the better to hide in) and Protection from Law.

Personally I'd say Color Spray would be my first choice of an offensive spell, but from your initial post (disappointment in low-level illusions) I doubt it's what you're looking for.

Shademan
2009-11-20, 01:02 PM
nono, colour spray is a versitile spell. quite like it, but I think I'll save my slots for something else.
as for religious theme: it's not as much religious theme as it is Olidamarra, the scoundrel god, the laughing rogue, da boss wit da mask, dude.
The trickster/scoundrel spells.
darn, wich I had complete scoundrel now.

EDIT: another option I have considered is just picking whatever spells seems cool. but I fear that might lead to innefficency...

Nate the Snake
2009-11-20, 01:17 PM
Complete Champion has an ACF for just this purpose. At 5th level, you trade one spell known from each spell level for access to one domain, including the granted power. You can only cast one domain spell per spell level per day, like a cleric, but you do get access to some spells you wouldn't have otherwise (Miracle from the Luck domain, for one :smallwink:).

Shademan
2009-11-20, 01:21 PM
I like the idea of accessing miracle :smallamused:
truly we are blessed by olidammara.

another thoguht I had was to just go full out blaster, but then my spells won't to much good out of combat, right?

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 01:29 PM
Just figure out what you'd prepare as a wizard on a regular day. The sorcerer gets at least as many options on what he has prepared. It only becomes an issue when you can't switch it later. Scrolls can help here.

So now the question is, which spells to prepare for a religious themed wizard? :smalltongue:

Shademan
2009-11-20, 02:01 PM
not sure if thinking of it from a wizards standpoint works. I mean, they have greater spell choice yknow.
sure I can be wrong, like i said i never really played sorc.

Draz74
2009-11-20, 02:50 PM
Level 1: Open/Close, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Grease, Disguise Self

Level 2: Message

Level 3: Reduce Person

Level 4: Detect Magic, Mirror Image

Level 5: Ray of Enfeeblement, Cat's Grace

Level 6: Detect Poison, Suggestion; swap Disguise Self for Animate Rope (since you can get Disguise from an item easily now)

That's not super-optimal, but I think it gives a good sneaky flavor. That enough to get you started?

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 02:59 PM
not sure if thinking of it from a wizards standpoint works. I mean, they have greater spell choice yknow.
sure I can be wrong, like i said i never really played sorc.

They have equal or less choice when preparing spells. Pick the sorcerer spells as if you were preparing spells for a regular day, not making a spell book. Only difference is there's no point to preparing 2 copies of the same or similar spell.

As for which to pick, utility spells like disguise self belong on scrolls since you don't use them every day. What a waste. But this and other utility spells are great to put on scrolls.

You are correct that enchantments are limited in potential applications. It's okay to prepare a couple of them for when you can use them, just have plenty of other spells. As for stealth and illusion spells, [greater] invisibility is an excellent stealth and combat spell. Illusions in general are quite powerful if used with a bit of cleverness; do a forum and/or google search for examples. Though you probably only need 1 or 2 illusion spells, then as a sorcerer you can spam it as desired. Other schools may also have tricky spells, so don't limit yourself too much.

Anything you can do to knock enemies out of combat or protect allies is just as good as or often better than killing with damage, as long as you have allies who do have damage to finish off opponents. Not that you can't also put a damage spell or two on your list. Wall and other obstacle/barrier spells are my favorite for temporarily taking an enemy or two out of the fight. But you could just as easily confuse an enemy who engages a 2nd enemy. Or trick some with an illusion while your party engages others. Letting your party fight half your enemies then the other half is far easier than fighting all at once.

Mongoose87
2009-11-20, 04:15 PM
One thing to consider, if you DM rules text trumps table, is a refluffing of the Rainbow Servant from Complete Divine. It'll give you more spells.