PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Wild Shape with another character? Good alternate uses?

Brock Samson
2009-11-20, 01:16 PM
Currently I'm a 23rd level Wizard/Druid/Mystic Theurge/Arcane Heirophant. 9th level spells both sides. Pretty much 24 hours a day I've got the spell Shapechange up, usually in the form of a Solar.

So the thing is, I'm virtually NEVER using my Wild Shape class feature. Why Wild Shape when Shapechange is SOOO much tastier?

Now, how can I use this to my advantage? I seem to recall a spell or something that allowed you to transfer some of your Wild Shape uses to allies, anyone know where that is/exactly what it does?

Any other good things to do with it? I know in I think Complete Divine I can give myself the Axiomatic/Anarchic/Celestial/Fiendish template, but nothing that it provides outshines what being shapechanged into a Solar ALREADY provides.

Any other uses? Any Alternate Class Features I can trade my Wild Shape for without losing my Animal Companion?

Hecore
2009-11-20, 01:23 PM
A level in Hierophant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm) with the Power of Nature ability.

1. Take a PRC or grab a feat that gives you some appealing wild shape form.
2. Buy some riding dogs.
3. Give each of them one 24-hour use of wild shape. It doesn't say one way or another in the SRD, but it is implied (If the hierophant can assume the form of Tiny or Huge animals, the recipient can as well) that they'll be able to wild shape into the new, awesome form you picked up.
4. Have fun with your army of dragons. (Or elementals, or aberrations, or whatever)

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 01:24 PM
Of course with a spellstoring ring everyone can just have shapechange up all the time instead.

Brock Samson
2009-11-20, 01:33 PM
A major spellstoring Ring is Hella expensive though.

Heirophant looks... not bad. It would be fun to give Wild Shape to my compadres. Could I give one use to multiple people each? Divine Reach also looks decent.

Brock Samson
2009-11-20, 01:37 PM
Wait- the "metamagic feat" part of Heirophant? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!?! A free metamagic feat every friggin' level?!?!

Please tell me Heirophant is in a book and not just the SRD?!?!

Ecalsneerg
2009-11-20, 01:44 PM
Nope, it's SRD. Thing is, unlike Archmage, it has 0/5 casting progression. You may get loads metamagic feats, but you will have lower spell levels to use them on, unless like the OP you're playing at Epic levels, and if you're using Epic to prove something disbalanced... well, Epic Spellcasting says no to you.

Grumman
2009-11-20, 01:47 PM
A level in Hierophant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm) with the Power of Nature ability.

1. Take a PRC or grab a feat that gives you some appealing wild shape form.
2. Buy some riding dogs.
3. Give each of them one 24-hour use of wild shape. It doesn't say one way or another in the SRD, but it is implied (If the hierophant can assume the form of Tiny or Huge animals, the recipient can as well) that they'll be able to wild shape into the new, awesome form you picked up.
4. Have fun with your army of dragons. (Or elementals, or aberrations, or whatever)
Personally, I'd rule that a riding dog wouldn't be smart enough to use wild shape. If there was some sort of magical dog that had the ability from birth, maybe, but a normal dog probably wouldn't even realise you had granted it the ability.

Brock Samson
2009-11-20, 01:50 PM
Yes, I'm already Epic, and have capped out my Divine AND Arcane spellcasting classes, plus with my Practiced Spellcaster feats on both sides I've still got one more dead level I could take and still have my caster level go up (Practiced Spellcaster Granting +4 caster level, I'm only Wizard 3/Druid 3 before I prestiged. So I'm not that concerned about upping my caster level anymore, and CAN'T get anymore spells. And, when it comes to Epic spellcasting, I'm barely going to have time to research an Epic Dispel before the campaign ends in game, out of game who knows how long it'll take. Besides, I'm not going to use Epic Spellcasting to break anything.

Glimbur
2009-11-20, 02:03 PM
Nope, it's SRD. Thing is, unlike Archmage, it has 0/5 casting progression. You may get loads metamagic feats, but you will have lower spell levels to use them on, unless like the OP you're playing at Epic levels, and if you're using Epic to prove something disbalanced... well, Epic Spellcasting says no to you.

Only sort of true. Hierophant doesn't advance spells known or spells/day, but it does advance Caster Level. This means it's not generally worth taking pre-epic but is quite nice once you have maxxed out spells/day anyway.

Hecore
2009-11-20, 02:06 PM
Personally, I'd rule that a riding dog wouldn't be smart enough to use wild shape. If there was some sort of magical dog that had the ability from birth, maybe, but a normal dog probably wouldn't even realise you had granted it the ability.

Speak with Animals and tell it that it can turn into a creature and how to do so, in very simple terms? Alternatively you could always use Summon Nature's Ally spells to get a smarter creature, but then you have to waste spells and they don't last as long...

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 02:09 PM
A major spellstoring Ring is Hella expensive though.
If you have approximate DMG wealth by level you have ~1.5 million worth of gear per person ... a 200K ring shouldn't be out of reach of the party.

It's not like all the wilding clasps people will want to be able to use equipment during wildshape will be cheap.

Brock Samson
2009-11-20, 02:22 PM
1.5 million? SERIOUSLY?!?!.... Ouch.

We started at 22nd level with 750,000 GP. We've received a total of 200,000 each since then.

Looking on the SRD I see that I can lose my Wild shape and instead become "A swift and deadly hunter" - gain Monk's bonus to Armor class, fast movement as monk, favored enemy as ranger, swift tracker as ranger, and track feat.

All for losing armor and shield proficiency, or which I use neither (Bracers of Armor with Soulfire enhancement thank you very much), and losing Wild shape. Shapechange more than makes up for that.

And looking at the Wizard Variant: Domain Wizard. I'm already not specialized, using this I lose NOTHING and gain a spell per level... *heartwarming*

Aldizog
2009-11-20, 06:52 PM
Elemental Wild Shape gives the feats and doesn't specify that you lose your existing feats. This can be really nice. If you're using the Hierophant option, see if any of your party members would like one form or the other.