PDA

View Full Version : use rope in pathfinder....

Silentlee
2009-11-20, 01:19 PM
lacking the skill?...or is there something im missing?

Nero24200
2009-11-20, 01:32 PM
Nope, they took the skill out intentionally. Not sure if it says in the final version, but the Beta has a sidebar specifically stating it.

jmbrown
2009-11-20, 01:37 PM
Use rope is probably the most useless skill in 3E and I've never, ever seen a single character put ranks into it. I don't even think there's a prestige class requiring it. I'm glad they got rid of it because it was taking up space.

Just assume that any character with manipulating digits can tie a decent knot. If you want to know how strong a bond is, have them roll a dex check and add +10 to +20 based on the quality of the rope.

Person_Man
2009-11-20, 02:22 PM
It's not in the Pathfinder SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills). Honestly, I would just roll it into Escape Artist, on the assumption that someone who is good at escaping from ropes also knows how to tie them. Though I think Pathfinder moved it into the Grapple rules.

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-20, 02:28 PM
Use rope is probably the most useless skill in 3E...What about Decipher Script? At least a party that wants to take prisoners can make some use out of Use Rope.

...and I've never, ever seen a single character put ranks into it.What about Haley?

Blue Warlock
2009-11-20, 03:04 PM
I actually used the skill alot for grappling hook checks in the lower levels. I am really sad that they took it out in Pathfinder.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-20, 04:22 PM
I actually used the skill alot for grappling hook checks in the lower levels. I am really sad that they took it out in Pathfinder.
They didn't take it out, it's just not a skill anymore. It's now a combat manoeuvre.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-11-20, 04:30 PM
What about Decipher Script? At least a party that wants to take prisoners can make some use out of Use Rope.

Decipher Script got folded into Linguistics (as did Forgery), and still (unless your DM uses lots of language dependent scenarios where common doesn't apply) it's still a lacking skill.

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-20, 04:44 PM
Decipher Script got folded into Linguistics (as did Forgery), and still (unless your DM uses lots of language dependent scenarios where common doesn't apply) it's still a lacking skill.Thanks for that, but I was just referring to its (lack of) use in 3.5.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-21, 02:51 AM
Decipher Script got folded into Linguistics (as did Forgery), and still (unless your DM uses lots of language dependent scenarios where common doesn't apply) it's still a lacking skill.

I use it a lot, actually. My Hobgoblin bard sneaks forward to scout and the monsters aren't always polite enough to speak Common amongst themselves.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-11-21, 04:08 PM
Oh, I use it all the time too. But my group cares about the linguistic differences between cultures. They've removed "common" and replaced it with three "human" languages. My current character puts ranks in it every level to grab himself another language to learn.

And Count, I know what you meant. I was just commenting that not all skills are as important as others, even when "pathfinderized".

Fax Celestis
2009-11-21, 04:17 PM
My DM rolled it into Survival.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-21, 06:23 PM
My DM rolled it into Survival.

I was actually coming on to say that exact same thing; tying most pioneering knots would be under survival. Tying up someone would probably be under Escape Artist or Perform: Kink. :smallbiggrin: