PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 6 ring slots: What to fill them with?

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 03:21 PM
So, theoretically, you could have an artificer or wizard type with Extra Rings (ECS), a Ringblade (Arms and Equipment Guide) and a Hand of Glory and have 6 ring slots available for you. The question becomes what to fill those ring slots with, as the minimum level to get Extra Rings at is ECL 15, as Forge Ring, teh prereq, isn't available till CL 12 and Artificers get it at 14th.

So what 6 rings would you be going for? If artificer, I'd be thinking of grabbing the 3 versions of Rings of Master Artifice for extra infusion slots but I'm not sure after that.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 03:23 PM
Arcane Mastery, Sustainance, Ring of Wizardry IV x4

Well, for a caster anyways.

UglyPanda
2009-11-20, 03:29 PM
Since you can put multiple abilities on the same magic item, all you're doing is saving a bit of money. Of course, if one of your rings is already at or close to the 200k epic threshold, then it might be worthwhile. Of course, what kind of player would have a ring worth 200k?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 03:31 PM
A halfling rogue.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 03:32 PM
Since you can put multiple abilities on the same magic item, all you're doing is saving a bit of money. Of course, if one of your rings is already at or close to the 200k epic threshold, then it might be worthwhile. Of course, what kind of player would have a ring worth 200k?

Greater Ring of Universal Energy Resistance comes to mind...

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-20, 03:36 PM
Sustenance, Evasion, Freedom of Movement, Feather Falling, Telekinesis, X-ray Vision. And add Protection +X onto one of them.

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 03:36 PM
Everything you find. Rings tend to show up a lot. Why sell for half to buy other things? Now that you have the slots you can pile them on.

Besides the above, these are good if you do shop or hunt:
force shield for casters
skill and utility rings for skill classes, like chameleon power
spell storing rings are nice for non-casters working with casters
blinking for rogues
friend shield
etc.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-11-20, 03:41 PM
I'm a big fan of Rings of Anticipation, for rerolling initiative. Sustenance is nice to have. Ring of Mighty Summons comes up for Malconvokers and maybe a summons-heavy druid. Maybe a Ring of Protection if you're not getting deflection bonuses to AC else where. Arcane Might and Enduring Arcana are also good for keeping your buffs around.

This is harder than I thought it would be: I swear there are more that I've used or either wanted in the past, but I'm drawing some blanks.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 03:43 PM
Arcane Mastery, Sustainance, Ring of Wizardry IV x4

Well, for a caster anyways.

Do Rings of Wizardry actually stack? I've never thought about it but it makes me wonder now...

Slayn82
2009-11-20, 03:43 PM
A halfling rogue.

:smallbiggrin:
Yeah, that thief... And he hid the ring, so he got an extra share from the remainder of the treasure. Dont you hate when someone does that?

JeenLeen
2009-11-20, 03:44 PM
A recent discussion said Rings of Wizardry probably don't stack (double base spells, not give +x bonus spells).

I would use:
1. Ring of Protection (+5 Deflection AC)
2. Ring of Arcane Mastery
3. Ring of Wizardry IV
4. Ring of Wizardry III
5. Ring of Negative Protection (no neg levels)*
6. Ring of Force Armor (+5 armor AC; use bracers or + on armor for something else)

*This ring may be in my list because, in the last campaign I had, Death Ward was banned so immunity to negative energy was hard to get.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 03:54 PM
A recent discussion said Rings of Wizardry probably don't stack (double base spells, not give +x bonus spells).

I would use:
1. Ring of Protection (+5 Deflection AC)
2. Ring of Arcane Mastery
3. Ring of Wizardry IV
4. Ring of Wizardry III
5. Ring of Negative Protection (no neg levels)*
6. Ring of Force Armor (+5 armor AC; use bracers or + on armor for something else)

*This ring may be in my list because, in the last campaign I had, Death Ward was banned so immunity to negative energy was hard to get.

Ring of Force Armor is actually Rings, so they fill 2 of your Ring slots and is more of a Monk item, really.

Grumman
2009-11-20, 04:45 PM
A spellthief who likes collecting spells. Every time you sneak attack someone or make your save and get something nice, just cast it into your Major Ring of Spell Storing for safekeeping.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 04:56 PM
A spellthief who likes collecting spells. Every time you sneak attack someone or make your save and get something nice, just cast it into your Major Ring of Spell Storing for safekeeping.

Ye gods, 6 Major rings of Spell Storing. @_@

olentu
2009-11-20, 05:11 PM
The ring of spell-battle is a possible choice if one has the spellcraft to back it up.

RandomNPC
2009-11-20, 05:24 PM
major spell storing, sustenance, major spell storing, invisibility, major spell storing, and protection +1. (+1 just to be different)

Moriato
2009-11-20, 06:49 PM
Six rings of three wishes, wish for 18 more ring slots?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-20, 08:28 PM
Spell-battle and enduring arcana, definitely.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-20, 11:43 PM
Spell-Battle, Arcane Supremacy, Enduring Arcana, Blink, Ring of Wizardry 4, Ring of Wizardry 3

Another_Poet
2009-11-21, 02:00 AM
Six rings of three wishes, wish for 18 more ring slots?

You wake up the next morning. All your party members' fingers have been sliced off in the night. You feel too full to eat breakfast.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-11-21, 07:51 AM
You wake up the next morning. All your party members' fingers have been sliced off in the night. You feel too full to eat breakfast.

It's still more manageable than growing another nine pairs of arms.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-21, 08:06 AM
How many ringblades can you have at one time?

Acanous
2009-11-21, 08:49 AM
It's not a 2 handed sword, so I'd say 2.

The Glyphstone
2009-11-21, 10:00 AM
Needs moar Ring of Spell-Battle. Say "NO U" to absolutely any spell you want 1/day if it's an area attack, and/or hit an enemy/minionparty member with it instead if you happen to have one handy within 60ft. Gotta have maxed Spellcraft, but what sort of full caster doesn't?

1. Ring of Spell-Battle.
2. Ring of Arcane Mastery.
3. Ring of Wizardry IV
4. Ring of Wizardry III
5. Ring of Protection +5
6. Ring of Enduring Arcana

flabort
2009-11-21, 01:26 PM
Ring of Doubled Image, x6.
forget were I saw it, you may project a perfect constant second image of yourself at will within 10 feet of yourself, fooling PC's and NPC's alike into hitting the ilusion. it DOES stack, so that two rings yield 3 images, since it projects another image of youself, and an image of the image, so you've got 2 within 10 feet of yourself, and 1 within 10 feet of one of the others. they also get a -1 accuracy penelty when trying to hit you OR the illusion(s).

As another bonus, the ilusions aren't mimicing your every move, and may be apear to be doing their own thing. however, when something involves heavy concentration, then they will mimic your actions. it also states somewere that they can cast illusions of spells you know, if you can cast spells.

as a result, you apply a -6 accuracy penelty to your opponents trying to hit you, and have ((2^6)-1=...) 63 illusional (sp?) images of yourself, making NPC's think something along the lines of "AAAAEEEEEIIIIII!" when they see 64 Halfling Wizards ALL preparing to cast Maximized Quickened Greater Fireball, at them. And if you're the DM, PC's will get a nasty shock out of that as well.

Haven
2009-11-21, 02:07 PM

And you're on fire.