PDA

View Full Version : Help with Progressing my Monk

Rasman
2009-11-20, 03:59 PM
Once again, more Monk stuff.

ROUND 3. FIGHT!

j/k j/k

At the moment, I am at a loss as to what to do with my monk progression wise. This isn't an optimized game, so we're not going for super sayian or anything, but i still don't want to fall behind and still be useful. After a lot of reading on the boards, the general impression is that Monks are underpowered later in the game, so I've been looking to branch out into something different, maybe a PrC or just another class to give me more depth. My stats for my Lawful Netural Human Monk at level 5 are...

STR 16
DEX 18
CON 11
INT 11
WIS 17
CHA 10

HP 39
AC 20
Initative 4
Fort Save 4
Reflex Save 7
Will Save 7

Base Attack Bonus +3 (Really a +11 after gear and Traits and will be a +4 next level)

CMB 8
CMD 26

Acrobatics 17
Climb 11
Escape Artist 7
Intimidate 3
Knowledge History 8
Knowledge Religion 3
Perception (Spot and Listen equivilant) 8
Ride 10
Sense Motive 8
Stealth 17
Swim 6

Feats
Combat Reflexes
Improved Grapple
Sand Dancer (Sandstorm)
Scorpion's Grapple (Sandstorm)
Pharaoh's Fist (Sandstorm)
Battle Jump (Unapproachable East) *have to see if my DM will houserule this one because of one of the prereqs, so this may change

This is also a Pathfinder game, as you can probably tell from the skills, so everything would convert to that system, but we're not limited by book, so long as it works in the D20 system.

So I guess my final question is, what are my options at this point. I was looking at Shadow Sun Ninja, but I have to be "Any Good" so unless I can convinence an alignment change, that won't do. I'd prefer anything that stacks with my monk levels to determine my AC and Flurry of Blows, but at this point, I'm not particularly picky.

At least at this point, I now know that you're supposed to build a character from 20 backwards XD.

AslanCross
2009-11-20, 04:05 PM
If you're looking at Shadow Sun Ninja, I assume you're allowed to use ToB. Simply taking Swordsage will go a long way. You have so many maneuvers you don't even need to specialize in any particular style, but for your purposes and flavor, Desert Wind and Tiger Claw would work well.

Rasman
2009-11-20, 07:09 PM
If you're looking at Shadow Sun Ninja, I assume you're allowed to use ToB. Simply taking Swordsage will go a long way. You have so many maneuvers you don't even need to specialize in any particular style, but for your purposes and flavor, Desert Wind and Tiger Claw would work well.

as you mentioned, to go with my flavor, I've been looking at Desert Wind, and it looks interesting, to say the least, but my 'problem' is if I can use its abilities with my fists. Do the abilites have to be done with a weapon that is prefered by that style or can I use any weapon I want without penalty?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-20, 07:10 PM
Any weapon. Certain feats and class features work with the preferred weapons, but those are rare and US is actually a fairly common preferred weapon.

taltamir
2009-11-20, 10:27 PM
ask your DM to give monks full BAB.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 10:31 PM
as you mentioned, to go with my flavor, I've been looking at Desert Wind, and it looks interesting, to say the least, but my 'problem' is if I can use its abilities with my fists. Do the abilites have to be done with a weapon that is prefered by that style or can I use any weapon I want without penalty?

Unarmed Strike is a Shadow Hand favored weapon.

Draz74
2009-11-20, 11:30 PM
Unarmed Strike is a Shadow Hand favored weapon.

And a Stone Dragon favored weapon, and a Setting Sun favored weapon.

Not that maneuvers care whether you're using their favored weapons or not.

Emmerask
2009-11-20, 11:34 PM
To my knowledge the weapons associated are mostly for flavor telling you what might fit this fighting style but any weapon can perform the maneuvers.

Some of the feats though require you to use a weapon that belongs to a certain school, Shadow blade for example requires you to use a shadow hand weapon.

Rasman
2009-11-21, 01:31 AM
AH, ok, I was just curious if I had to use the favored weapon for the maneuvers or not, but that simplifies things, since I won't be constrained

thnx for the info

Fishy
2009-11-21, 01:39 AM
Swordsages do have that class feature that grants fake Weapon Focus in the favored weapons from the school of their choice. But yeah, pick Shadow Hand, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw or Stone Dragon, and you get it for Unarmed strike.

Rasman
2009-11-21, 06:42 AM
Swordsages do have that class feature that grants fake Weapon Focus in the favored weapons from the school of their choice. But yeah, pick Shadow Hand, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw or Stone Dragon, and you get it for Unarmed strike.

ah, that explains it, so that narrows down my choices a little more, excellent...I remember reading that in the book, but I just didn't make the connection, makes sense now