PDA

View Full Version : Musical Weapon Special Ability

Quixotico
2009-11-20, 04:26 PM
Was wondering if this sounds viable, balanced or, at least, not overpowering.

We've got a player in our group who's a melee-heavy bard and was wondering about the possibility of making one of his weapons into a instrument.

I'm considering suggesting a +1 weapon special ability that gives the weapon (a sword or axe, in this case) strings to be played as a stringed instrument. As part of the +1 ability, the strings are not harmed in combat and the weapon can be played as part of the Bardic Music ability.

Furthermore, it amplifies the volume of playing, and thus doubles the range at which his Bardic Music abilities are effective. The extra range does not stack with any other bonuses to range. (I'm not aware of any, but I'd hate to suddenly have a bard who's audible from 20 miles away or something.)

Suggestions? I really don't think it's excessive, and may even be a bit underpowered for a +1 ability, but the player is excited about the idea. And, no, it was somehow not inspired by Brütal Legend. We had to show the player trailers of the game to get him to believe we weren't trying to trick him. :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2009-11-20, 04:44 PM
Axe makes more sense than sword, but as long as he can't play it on a round he swings it, I like the idea.

Ouranos
2009-11-20, 04:45 PM
AS HE STRUMS HIS MIGHTY AXE... Sorry, had to. Makes no sense on a sword, though honestly a 2 handed axe could support the strings and still be used in battle... until he breaks the strings.

DracoDei
2009-11-20, 04:46 PM
Part of the magic keeps the strings from getting broken... that was stated.

Telonius
2009-11-20, 04:48 PM
Quarterstaff or Club makes most sense of all - perform (percussion).

Quixotico
2009-11-20, 04:57 PM
Cool, yeah, the sword was a stretch but I was going to suggest a Musical Shocking Axe anyways. :smallbiggrin:

Ashtagon
2009-11-20, 05:26 PM
Breaking an instrument is not just about the strings. Any realistic stringed instrument also has an integral "echo chamber", and even minor dents would ruin the acoustics.

Otoh, it's magic. And if a magical sword can glow softly on command, a magical instrument can maintain perfect acoustics.

My only real issue is that I'm having trouble visualising how this would look. Most magical items are functional as their basic mundane item without requiring magic to do that much. But if it is literally a melee weapon wit strings attached (or with bells on, if you like), that paradigm breaks. It's not f0rmally written stone of course, but I would feel much more comfortable if it were kept.

EdroGrimshell
2009-11-20, 06:16 PM
My only real issue is that I'm having trouble visualising how this would look. Most magical items are functional as their basic mundane item without requiring magic to do that much. But if it is literally a melee weapon wit strings attached (or with bells on, if you like), that paradigm breaks. It's not f0rmally written stone of course, but I would feel much more comfortable if it were kept.

I'd say a sword with strings (longf or short, rapier doesn't have much to work with) would be just the edge with strings in the center and the sheath would allow access to the strings while acting as the amplifying chamber.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 06:58 PM
Isn't there a +1 property in Stormwrack that does something like this? I swear I saw it...

Latronis
2009-11-20, 09:32 PM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2007/06/rockguitar.jpg

?

DracoDei
2009-11-20, 10:07 PM
That picture is teh win.

Ouranos
2009-11-20, 11:47 PM
http://www.wowwiki.com/File:Arcanite_Ripping.jpg

It's the axe man, gotta strum your axe.

sigurd
2009-11-21, 12:06 AM
Why not a singing sword. It sings with the bard's voice while the bard concentrates.

Course everyone and their brother might want the sword :).

Latronis
2009-11-21, 12:35 AM
Marginally more functional stringed instrument as a melee weapon (http://www.punkn.com/RGW/images/axe2.jpg)

Atticus Bleak
2009-11-21, 12:39 AM
As a bard this is interesting. I once saw a pic of a girl holding a fullblade (large greatsword, about the size of Anime style swords) with a small lute-harp built into the hilt, basically between the blade and handle. I'll see if I can find it and link to it later.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 07:21 AM
Maybe make the strings appear and disappear on command, with a Free Action to do so?

Eldan
2009-11-21, 08:20 AM
Make a gigantic mace where the head is hollow and makes loud gonging sounds whenever you hit something?

IcarusWings
2009-11-21, 08:40 AM
I think there are rules for some kind of war bell on this forum, it doubled as an instrument.

merlin

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-21, 06:09 PM
Violin with the strings made enchanted spidersilk and you use the bow as a short sword

Latronis
2009-11-21, 08:16 PM
Violin with the strings made enchanted spidersilk and you use the bow as a short sword

Why couldn't you use the bow as a... bow >_>

Milskidasith
2009-11-21, 08:35 PM
Why couldn't you use the bow as a... bow >_>

The bow of a violin is not the same as a longbow. The bow is the thing you use to play the strings... I'm sure you've seen one somewhere.

Latronis
2009-11-21, 09:23 PM
In short. A stick with a string attached.

If we're talking about an unrealistic item... something functional as both a musical instrument and a combat weapon well then that resemblance is enough surely.

Temotei
2009-11-22, 12:14 AM
Isn't there a +1 property in Stormwrack that does something like this? I swear I saw it...

You sure it's in Stormwrack? I looked, but couldn't find it.

Roc Ness
2009-11-22, 12:24 AM
Maybe instead a feat titled "Song of Steel"? Full round action, hit something for percussion?