PDA

View Full Version : Tainted humans, orcs, and elves(3.5 races) PEACH

Gamerlord
2009-11-20, 06:41 PM
This is some homebrew I made for my campaign world for 3.5 that I never bothered to share with you fine folks of GITP, the Tainted human,orc, and elf! This was designed in a world that suffered a demonic invasion, but you can fit it in with a bit of fluff editing, all you need is some form of supernatural invasion in your world's history. You may need to edit their appearance and powers, but still!

Tainted human

Even after the demons left the material plane, their vile magic remained in the air, soon, some humans felt the demonic magic slowly twist them, their children, and their children's children. Tainted humans eventually became a sub breed of human. They stand tall, usually just about as tall as a half-orc. They weigh about the same as a half-orc as well, they can live to about 150 years, not as long as an elf but certainly longer then a human. Their skin can vary, but is always a bit red, with their eyes always showing a fiendish taint. Hair can vary widely, but all tainted humans carry a common trait: all of them have some form of scar, sometimes a symbol of a devil or demon lord, sometimes a simple scar, but always blood-red. It usually appears on the head, but it can appear anywhere. They are usually lawful or chaotic, rarely are they true neutral.

Tainted Human racial traits
+2 charisma,+2 wisdom, -2 Strength: tainted humans have a strong force of personality and a dark sense of the world around them, but the dark corruption of their ancestors has left them weakened.
Medium:As medium creatures, tainted humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Tainted human base speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 50 feet.
Resistance to fire 10.
Spell resistance 11+class levels. This SR only works against spells cast against the tainted human's will.
+4 to diplomacy checks with outsiders.
Spell-like abilities: Good tainted humans can cast Protection from evil 1/day, while evil tainted humans can cast Protection from good. Caster level equals 1/2 the tainted humans class levels
Automatic languages: Common, and Abyssal. Bonus languages: Any (Except secret languages). Tainted humans mingle with many a soul.
Favored class: Any. Just like humans, tainted humans have no favorites.
Level adjustment +1

Write ups for the other 2 coming soon!

Any grammer, spelling, or other errors please note!

Temotei
2009-11-20, 06:56 PM
Only spell resistance 10? And Darkvision to forty feet? That's kind of random. I'd change the Darkvision to be sixty feet, and make the spell resistance scale.

Gamerlord
2009-11-20, 06:56 PM
Isn't that OP'd for LA +1?

Gpope
2009-11-20, 07:02 PM
Isn't that OP'd for LA +1?

What's overpowered about it? It's got slightly cheesy ability modifiers and a decent but not amazing 1st level SLA 1/day. The SR is the big ticket and a flat SR of 10 is pretty solid at low levels but rapidly becomes almost obsolete. If anything it's a bit underpowered.

Gamerlord
2009-11-20, 07:04 PM
Okay, will fix that.

I plan on writing up the orc on Saturday and the elf sunday, if nothing gets in my way.

Latronis
2009-11-20, 09:29 PM
Generally racial spell resistance works on 11 + character level too.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 09:32 PM
It's not worth an LA of one as it stands... I'd always take an actual human over this, because bonus feats are just so good... the SR isn't really good when you consider this is a caster class (or seems to be, with a +cha modifier) so it can't buff itself in combat without risking failure.

Gamerlord
2009-11-21, 07:30 AM
I added a few neat tricks, like fire resistance, and changed the SR in a way that makes it more useful for casters.

Gamerlord
2009-11-21, 11:23 AM
Here's the tainted orc write up:

Tainted Orcs

These orcs are the descendants of the several dozen orc tribes that followed the wizard makcara to what is now known as the corrupted mountains, when makcara summoned forth his masters those orcs were exposed to massive amounts of demonic energies that remains in their descendants. These orcs have red skin, with hair that can be pitch black or burning red, rarely are they any color except black or red. Tainted orcs can live up to the same age as an elf,reaching adulthood at age 70 though. They tend to be chaotic, and have a tendency towards evil. The scar they carry always appears on their chest. They stand as tall as your standard orc. Their eyes always show their vile demonic heritage.

Tainted Orc racial traits
+2 charisma, +2 strength: Tainted orcs have a strong force of personality and are quite strong.
Medium: As medium creatures, tainted orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Darkvision up to 60 feet.
Fire resistance 10.
Spell-like abilities: tainted orcs can cast Burning Hands 1/day with caster level equal to their class levels.
Spell resistance 11+ class levels.
Automatic languages: Abyssal, common, and orcish. Bonus languages: Infernal, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Giant, and Dwarven. Tainted orcs can know many languages, especially smart ones(which aren't as rare as standard orcs)
Favored class: fighter, tainted orcs have respect for the finer disciplines of fighting.
Level adjustment +1

Temotei
2009-11-21, 12:16 PM
+2 charisma, +2 strength: Tainted orcs have a strong force of personality and are quite strong.
Medium: As medium creatures, tainted orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Darkvison up to 60 feet.
Fire resistance 10.
Spell-like abilities: tainted orcs can cast Burning Hands 1/day with caster level equal to their class levels.
Spell resistance 10+ class levels.
Automatic languages: Abyssal, common, and orcish. Bonus languages: Infernal, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Giant, and Dwarven. Tainted orcs can know many languages, especially smart ones(which aren't as rare as standard orcs)
Favored class: fighter, tainted orcs have respect for the finer disciplines of fighting.
Level adjustment +1

Darkvision is spelled wrong, and tainted humans only get 40 ft. for some reason. Make it 60 ft. on tainted humans. If you want the tainted orc to have more, add 60 ft. And spell resistance should be 11 + class levels, not ten. And why does the orc spell resistance work against everything, while the humans only get it against outsiders?

Gamerlord
2009-11-21, 12:52 PM
The orcs were directly exposed to the magic that opened forth the gates that brought the demons in. Therefore they became more powerful, if you like I can make it LA +2.

Temotei
2009-11-21, 01:17 PM
The orcs were directly exposed to the magic that opened forth the gates that brought the demons in. Therefore they became more powerful, if you like I can make it LA +2.

No, don't do that.

Gamerlord
2009-11-21, 01:26 PM
I just realized something, these guys break the stereotype of "Ugly guy gets charisma penalties".

Solaris
2009-11-21, 07:48 PM
Back to the tainted human. Why does the SR only work against outsiders?

Temotei
2009-11-21, 10:00 PM
Yeah those tainted humans are next to worthless when you can use aasimars...

Gamerlord
2009-11-22, 06:42 AM
*sigh* Okay, I'll edit the tainted human SR AGAIN!

Temotei
2009-11-22, 01:34 PM
*sigh* Okay, I'll edit the tainted human SR AGAIN!

And their darkvision. It's spelled wrong, and it has a really random distance.

Gamerlord
2009-11-22, 04:25 PM
Fixed darkvision.

Temotei
2009-11-22, 07:18 PM
...fifty feet?

I have yet to see a race or template with fifty feet of darkvision. Just saying. It's always sixty or one-hundred twenty feet. I think there's one thing that grants thirty feet of darkvision, but for this race, I'd say sixty is just fine.

Gamerlord
2009-11-22, 07:33 PM
Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't make it have to have 60+ darkvision.

I don't think I can get the tainted elves done today.

Temotei
2009-11-22, 10:18 PM
Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't make it have to have 60+ darkvision.

True dat. :smallsmile:

I don't think I can get the tainted elves done today.

Darn.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-23, 01:24 AM
So, I have a question about the breeding mechanics. If a human and a tainted human reproduce, is the child a tainted human, or is it somehow half-tainted? Can they even reproduce? I mean, you did say that they became a subspecies.

Basically, I want to know all about Tainted Love.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 02:07 PM
Well, basically, half-tainted have all the racial traits of a standard, non-tainted race,except they keep their tainted SLA and darkvision.

I can get the tainted elves written up soon.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 02:14 PM
Well, basically, half-tainted have all the racial traits of a standard, non-tainted race,except they keep their tainted SLA and darkvision.

You should make these races. Just adding spell-like abilities and darkvision doesn't work. That would make choosing a human a bad choice, because you could simply take a half-tainted human, for no penalty. Actually, if you don't mind, I might work on that myself. Do you? :smallsmile:

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 02:17 PM
Basically, I want to know all about Tainted Love.

Whoooaaaooo....

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 03:01 PM
OK, here is the tainted elves:

Tainted Elves

Tainted elves were the result of the attacks on the isles of balance during the demon invasion, similear to the tainted humans, the invasion's corrupt magic left a taint that remains in the descendants of the Isle's native elven population, tainted elves stand about as tall as a half-orc, with their hair always some form of red, however, their eyes are two different colors, with the left one always being some form of red and the right one always pitch black. Tainted elves are one of the few tainted races that are naturally drawn to the forces of good, for reasons scholars have yet to explain. Tainted elves can live long,even for elves. They reach adulthood at 100 years and usually live until over 1000 years.

Tainted Elf Racial Traits
+2 charisma, +2 strength,-2 constitution: tainted elves have a strong force of personality, and they were naturally strong to begin with, but their corruption has weakened their overall physical health.
Medium: as medium creatures, tainted elves gain no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Tainted elves base speed is 30 feet.
Fire resistance 10.
Darkvision up to 50 ft.
Spell resistance 11+class levels.
Weapon proficiency: tainted elves gain both exotic weapon proficiency(Bastard sword) and martial weapon proficiency(longsword) as bonus feats, also, tainted elves treat the longsword as a light weapon for purposes of dual-wielding.
Immunity to sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
+2 racial bonus on listen,spot, and jump checks. Tainted elves have keen senses and originate from the jungle forests of the isles of balance.
Automatic languages: Common and Elven. Bonus languages: Draconic, Abyssal, Celestial, Dwarven, Goblin, Giant, Orc, and Sylvan. Tainted elves know much about languages of the supernatural forces and of the natural forces.
Favored Class: Ranger. Tainted elves originate from a jungle landscape where knowledge of the wild is essential.
Level adjustment +1

Anything I missed?

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 03:02 PM
You should make these races. Just adding spell-like abilities and darkvision doesn't work. That would make choosing a human a bad choice, because you could simply take a half-tainted human, for no penalty. Actually, if you don't mind, I might work on that myself. Do you? :smallsmile:

I don't mind. :smallsmile:

Temotei
2009-11-23, 03:07 PM
Sweet.

The tainted elves, in my opinion, should be LA +1. They're not that powerful, so as to warrant another level adjustment penalty. Compare them to drow. And drow are considered weak for their level adjustment, or so I've heard.

EDIT: Also, you forgot languages on the tainted human.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 03:08 PM
Got it. Will change their LA.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 04:55 PM
EDIT: Also, you forgot languages on the tainted human.

Woops!

Better fix that.

Also, before anyone asks why they have different weapon profs, these are not your garden-variety elves that they came from, they came from the elves of the isles of balance, a subtype of elf that I let my players use instead of the standard elf if they wish. The elves of the Isles of balance had a couple differences from standard elves. Like mastering a fighting style would have one dual-wield the bastard sword and longsword.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 05:07 PM
It's dual-wield. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 05:21 PM
Woopsie.

This is nothing but pointless filler,citizen,return to your fun.

deuxhero
2009-11-23, 05:23 PM
I thought orc were tainted elfs?

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 05:25 PM
I thought orc were tainted elfs?

:smallconfused: Wait, what?

Temotei
2009-11-23, 05:29 PM
Not in D&D. I think there was another game...maybe Warcraft or something. I remember reading about those games, but I've never played them.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 05:30 PM
Wait, what the hell are you guys talking about?

Temotei
2009-11-23, 05:33 PM
He's talking about a different game, where orcs are elves tainted by sinister forces...or something. :smallsmile:

Also, you forgot to add a favored class for tainted humans.

Platinius
2009-11-23, 05:37 PM
That's The Lord of the Rings were orcs were elves that have been kidnapped, torturted and mutated into the broken form of the orcs, not to be confused with the Uruk-Hai who were created by Saruman's foul magic with which he combined orc and human DNA. These are essentially artificial supersoldiers and gave the heroes a hard time, but they should be all dead.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 05:38 PM
Well this is D&D, not aforementioned system.

Will fix favored class.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 05:47 PM
That's The Lord of the Rings were orcs were elves that have been kidnapped, torturted and mutated into the broken form of the orcs, not to be confused with the Uruk-Hai who were created by Saruman's foul magic with which he combined orc and human DNA. These are essentially artificial supersoldiers and gave the heroes a hard time, but they should be all dead.

Thank you. That was bothering me...hehe.

Tainted elves need 11 + class levels spell resistance, not 10 + class levels.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 05:50 PM
Woops, Will fix.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 06:30 PM
You should also put the languages in alphabetical order.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 06:33 PM
:smallsigh: I hate alphabetical order. Fine.

Delandel
2009-11-23, 06:35 PM
They are usually lawful or chaotic, rarely are they true neutral.

Demons = chaotic. Devils = lawful. If they're tainted by demons, you'd think they wouldn't be lawful.

+2 charisma,+2 wisdom, -2 Strength: tainted humans have a strong force of personality and a dark sense of the world around them, but the dark corruption of their ancestors has left them weakened.

What does "dark sense of the world around them" mean? I know you're trying to describe wisdom bonus, and maybe it's just me, but this sounds wierd.

Darkvision out to 50 feet.

How about 60 feet?

The rest looks fine.

EDIT: Tainted Orc, why no -2 penalty?

Tainted orcs can know many languages, especially smart ones(which aren't as rare as standard orcs)

HURR!! GROG ALSO KNOW SMART LANGUAGES! STUPID ONES LIKE COMMON ARE BENEATH GROG!

EDIT: Tainted Elf time.

+2 charisma, +2 strength,-2 constitution: tainted elves have a strong force of personality, and they were naturally strong to begin with, but their corruption has weakened their overall physical health.

Naturally strong? Are we talking about the same slim, prancing elves with girly arms? They usually aren't strong to begin with. Not that they can't get a STR bonus, mind you, just description is odd.

I've never seen +2 STR -2 CON before. They seem contradictory. Generally strong things are healthy (see barbarian). Not an issue of course, but maybe change the description to explain why they have poor stamina yet strong.

Oh, and 60 feet Darkvision.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 06:44 PM
HURR!! GROG ALSO KNOW SMART LANGUAGES! STUPID ONES LIKE COMMON ARE BENEATH GROG!

Great minds think alike. I was going to comment on that just now.

How about 60 feet?

It's unwanted by the creator, for some reason. :smallamused:

EDIT: Tainted Orc, why no -2 penalty?

I recommend -2 Intelligence.

Delandel
2009-11-23, 06:45 PM
I recommend -2 Intelligence.

But if they get -2 INT then they'd have trouble picking up the smart languages! :smalltongue:

Temotei
2009-11-23, 06:47 PM
But if they get -2 INT then they'd have trouble picking up the smart languages!

You're right! Better make it -2 Wisdom. :smallamused:

I've never seen +2 STR -2 CON before. They seem contradictory. Generally strong things are healthy (see barbarian). Not an issue of course, but maybe change the description to explain why they have poor stamina yet strong.

But there is a +2 Constitution, -2 Strength race. They're definitely not the same, being that one is really good for casting classes, and the other is kind of...odd...but still.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 08:08 PM
To answer your questions:

Tainted orcs. are. not. dumb. like. standard. orcs. they. are. rather. smart.

And we aren't talking about the same kind of elf, we are talking about tough-talking bastard sword and longsword dual-wielding jungle-dwelling elves.

Hiest, monkey
2009-11-23, 08:38 PM
I'm sure that in your campaign world elves are stronger than the average elf, but the dual-wielded-weapons-as-a-racial-feature doesn't sell itself to me.

The idea that an entire race, albeit a jungle-dwelling sub-race, would train with a particuar weapon set, and, in addition, train so throughly that they treat a weapon as a lighter weapon without class levels seems ridiculous. Especially if you account for the fact that many elves are magic users, this training seems odd.

Sure elves already get certain proficiencies for free, but even that is a stretch. Allowing them to treat a weapon as one that has an entirely different both intended purpose and weight is an even bigger stretch.

But whatever, not my campaign, and hence, not my creative descision.

Also, a lot of sub-races in standard 3.5 use the all-too-convenient clause: "these traits are in addition to the [base race here]"

You could do that to save time and energy, aswell as making the tainted races match up more with the original races.

I was going to suggest you use a wild elf:here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#wildElf)
or a wood elf: here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#woodElf)
but they don't match your fluff.

Edit: you could homebrew an exotic weapon that deals longsword damage but is light for the purpose of your elves only, and give your elves free proficiency. So an easy fix.

Gamerlord
2009-11-25, 03:16 PM
What is so ridiculous about it? :smallannoyed:

And this subspecies didn't have any spellcasters, only the other subraces did.

imp_fireball
2010-01-01, 07:36 PM
I added a few neat tricks, like fire resistance, and changed the SR in a way that makes it more useful for casters.

I think since it's a 'tainted human', maybe you should add all the features of the original human with this stuff slapped on? That's why some people are rejecting LA 1 right now.

If they're tainted by demons, you'd think they wouldn't be lawful.

Devils tained by demons (or vice versa) would be anti-heros like hell boy, clearly. :smallamused:

Naturally strong? Are we talking about the same slim, prancing elves with girly arms?

They're pro-feminist, but their bones are stronger than human bones and their muscles are coiled instead of wiry (explaining their lithe, yet stronger-than-typical-human bodies).

... Was trying to apply science to fantasy, sorry.

Wait, what the hell are you guys talking about?

Warcraft. Y'know, world of warcraft? At one point in the lore, the orcs attacked Azeroth (kingdom of the humans) by way of another planet (Draenor, AKA Outland). Later on, this was retconned by Blizz (Blizzard Entertainment - excellent producer of games) saying that these orcs were made evil by way of a demonic blood pact that 'tainted' them and asserted in Warcraft 3 with Grom Hellscream (a bad ass orc, friend of Thrall - a charismatic orc warrior/caster) and his band of Warsongs (a clan of orcs) being re-tainted by mannoroth (some demon), and driven so mad that their skin turned red (mostly to distinguish them from regular orcs beyond the glowing red eyes that they were given in the previous games). The 'Chaos Grunt' (an orc unit in Warcraft 3 World Editor) also has slightly more hp than the regular 'Grunt' (standard orc unit for the orcs in the Real Time Strategy game - Warcraft's game genre), asserting the idea that the demonic taint made these orcs stronger.

:smallbiggrin:

Regular orcs have +4 strength though, so what made these orcs weaker?

Regular Orc - Grar, me still hit harder than you! Rahahaha!
------

To Gamerkid - Format everything into the OP, that way people won't need to scroll down to see it all.

Temotei
2010-01-02, 12:43 AM
I think since it's a 'tainted human', maybe you should add all the features of the original human with this stuff slapped on? That's why some people are rejecting LA 1 right now.

Devils tained by demons (or vice versa) would be anti-heros like hell boy, clearly. :smallamused:

They're pro-feminist, but their bones are stronger than human bones and their muscles are coiled instead of wiry (explaining their lithe, yet stronger-than-typical-human bodies).

... Was trying to apply science to fantasy, sorry.

Warcraft. Y'know, world of warcraft? At one point in the lore, the orcs attacked Azeroth (kingdom of the humans) by way of another planet (Draenor, AKA Outland). Later on, this was retconned by Blizz (Blizzard Entertainment - excellent producer of games) saying that these orcs were made evil by way of a demonic blood pact that 'tainted' them and asserted in Warcraft 3 with Grom Hellscream (a bad ass orc, friend of Thrall - a charismatic orc warrior/caster) and his band of Warsongs (a clan of orcs) being re-tainted by mannoroth (some demon), and driven so mad that their skin turned red (mostly to distinguish them from regular orcs beyond the glowing red eyes that they were given in the previous games). The 'Chaos Grunt' (an orc unit in Warcraft 3 World Editor) also has slightly more hp than the regular 'Grunt' (standard orc unit for the orcs in the Real Time Strategy game - Warcraft's game genre), asserting the idea that the demonic taint made these orcs stronger.

:smallbiggrin:

Regular orcs have +4 strength though, so what made these orcs weaker?

Regular Orc - Grar, me still hit harder than you! Rahahaha!
------

To Gamerkid - Format everything into the OP, that way people won't need to scroll down to see it all.

Serious thread necromancy. Just saying.

You bring up good points. I'm making a template (eventually) that will encompass all the tainted races (including the ones I made).