PDA

View Full Version : A Death to Orb Spells

Realms of Chaos
2009-11-20, 07:36 PM
Spellproof
You are capable of halting even residual traces of magic.
Prerequisites: Spell resistance from a feat, class feature, or racial trait.
Benefit: Whenever you are targetted by a spell or spell-like ability that does not permit spell resistance, the caster makes a caster level check with a +5 bonus. If the result does not exceed your spell resistance, the spell fails to affect you.
This does not affect spells that create an area or effect, even if you are in the area or interract with the effect.

Yeah, it stops orbs and a couple of other odd effects out there. Mostly orbs. This ability isn't really that powerful unless it is tacked onto a golem which don't qualify as they don't have actual spell resistance.
Caster level bonuses still make fun of spell resistance so things like orbs don't seem like they are kind of overkill.

Well, I can safely say that this ability isn't overpowered, at least when compared to divine denial from Exemplars of Evil (negate any divine spell with a will save. Yes, please!)

Delandel
2009-11-20, 08:12 PM
Looks fine to me.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 09:36 PM
So how does SR work with summoned monsters? What about Dispel Magic?

While this seems useful, it opens up an entirely different kind of cheese; take an item (which a golem can wear, actually, as a side note) that gives SR, take this feat, and then cast Spell Immunity (or GSI, whatever) Dispel Magic, then buff all you want. You can never be dispelled, ever! It makes permanencies worth the cost over a simple contingency!

Glimbur
2009-11-20, 10:31 PM
While this seems useful, it opens up an entirely different kind of cheese; take an item (which a golem can wear, actually, as a side note) that gives SR, take this feat, and then cast Spell Immunity (or GSI, whatever) Dispel Magic, then buff all you want. You can never be dispelled, ever! It makes permanencies worth the cost over a simple contingency!

The Area version of Dispel and Greater Dispel should still hit a buff at a time. Disjunction will still drop the buffs.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 10:43 PM
Ok, so you're immune to everything but a crappy version of Dispel Magic that can be overridden by simply having a bunch of permanencied high caster level crap on you, and disjunction, which is rarely used. So it's not quite total immunity, but still very close.

Glimbur
2009-11-20, 10:45 PM
Yes, this is an unintended side effect and needs fixing on the feat. I suppose I have a tendency to be pedantic. Sorry.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 10:51 PM
Yes, this is an unintended side effect and needs fixing on the feat. I suppose I have a tendency to be pedantic. Sorry.

No, it was a valid exception, and, if people houserule disjunction the way I do (Magic items get dispelled for a few hours, but not destroyed) then it's a very valid counter. Still... there are probably other effects we should look out for with this.

Realms of Chaos
2009-11-21, 12:17 AM
Interesting point.

I changed the feat so that it requires casters to make a "psuedo-spell penetration check". Though they don't benefit from the spell penetration feat (or its improved version), they still get the +5 bonus on top of their caster level.

Also, you can no longer have gained the spell resistance via magical items. Just feats, class features, and racial features (go, drow, go).