PDA

View Full Version : [MCWoD] Starting the first game. Advice?

PrGo
2009-11-20, 07:57 PM
Howdy ya all!

Recently I discovered the amazing Monte Cook's World of Darkness book and managed to eat it up in two-three days. Soon after, I got my buddies into the mood for that setting and we decided to try it out.

So, I'd like to ask any of you who played this setting before some advice on how to make the first session memorable.

Also there's a few things that have bugged me that are not explained in the book very well:
-What system do you use for the starting equipment/wealth in your games?
-After a vampire has drunk werewolf blood, what happens to him when he frenzies? And under what conditions does he enter the rage? Does he get a save? Anything? (the description is not very detailed)

I'll update these questions as we find more problems or need more help.

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

PrGo
2009-11-21, 05:30 AM
...aaaaanyone?

BobVosh
2009-11-21, 05:59 AM
If it is like regular WoD there is a background for wealth that they can use for starting equipment, etc.

No clue on the other.

comicshorse
2009-11-21, 08:54 AM
I only know regular OWoD but from that :

What system do you use for the starting equipment/wealth in your games?

Wealth is measured by the Resources background. This is bought in character creation ( but can be bought up in game if the PC can provide good reasons for it)

After a vampire has drunk werewolf blood, what happens to him when he frenzies? And under what conditions does he enter the rage? Does he get a save? Anything? (the description is not very detailed)

I believe the drescriptions are kept deliberately vague so the GM can tailor what happens to his own world. Also because anything dealing with Werewolves is random and prone to weird **** happening.
I've read in some places that PC's don't automatically Frenzy when they drink Werewolf blood so I'd allow a Self-Control roll to resist it but at pretty high target numbers as Werewolf Vitae is potent stuff. ( Of course he could always try to ride the frenzy)
Also it mentions that drinking Werewolf blood may provide temporary bonus Celerity to the Vampire. Again I'd say that is down to circumstances and what you want to be true.
As for what happensm to him if he does Frenzy I'd say he's going to try to rip apart the nearest thing be it friend or foe. If foe's are still around this would be a good reason for riding the frenzy and directing the beserk aggression at them

lesser_minion
2009-11-21, 09:23 AM
MCWoD is the d20 incarnation of WoD, so I guess you'd use the normal d20 rules for starting equipment.

It shouldn't be too difficult to agree with players what they will start with though.

I don't think V:tR mentions anything more than a penalty on rolls to resist frenzy after drinking werewolf blood. A mage's blood causes temporary derangements, and Hunters and Sin-Eaters are essentially normal. I don't think Prometheans can be drained at all, although I haven't checked that.

I'm only familiar with NWoD, so I have no idea exactly how MCWoD handles it - the setting is actually completely different.

Kantur
2009-11-21, 09:48 AM
From how I read it:

Equipment:

The top of page 221 suggests that you basically get whatever equipment is appropriate to your character concept, unless the DM says no, that that the DM should not be afraid to say no if they don't think the equipment is reasonable for whatever reason (Trying to carry an arsenal of weapons, unable to obtain such powerful weapons, not wanting cars in their campaign, believing that you haven't properly justified that katata training and gun mastery, rarity of that type of equipment, etc).

Frenzy/Drinking werewolf blood:

When the Vampire drinks werewolf blood he may enter frenzy when in combat or when aggravated for a period of one day per werewolf vitae taken (With the rage wearing off when combat or the aggravating thing/person is done with. It seems to be automatic in these situations in it's the same as the hybrid form werewolves (Can still distinquish friend from foe, but must succeed on a DC20 will save each round or have to move towards a foe, attack, or use an appropriate discipline[converting it from werewolf rites]. When in a rage, talking is a DC20 will save for each set of a few words the Vampire wants to say, most dex, cha and int based checks are unusable, concentration and skills requiring patience or planning can't be used and only disciplines that speciifcally say they can be used in a rage can be used.

PrGo
2009-11-22, 09:49 AM
It seems that not much people play MC's WoD at these forums :smalltongue:

Thanks a lot for the advices, guys!

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-11-22, 04:59 PM
I use the d20 modern rules for wealth and equipment in my MCWoD-derived game.

MCWoD throws out the whole idea of wealth and cost of items in favour of a GM arbitrated allowance. I don't feel that it works - unless all your players are keen to (and able to) temper their equipment expectations as appropriate to their character power, you have to explain and negotiate every single purchase your players want to make.

D20 Modern isn't perfect either (you'll want to change the IT purchase DCs, they're rubbish), but it's better than no system.

PrGo
2009-11-22, 05:52 PM
Thanks a lot.

We actually managed to agree with the starting gear everyone chose.
The maximum was one guy starting with an AK-47, a pistol, a knife and a laptop.

And to tell you, our first session was GREAT! I can't believe I didn't find this before :smalltongue: