PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Reload, or Repeating Crossbow?

Crow
2009-11-20, 08:40 PM
I have a rogue right now that I am trying to make a choice for. For flavor reasons, this character uses a crossbow, so please don't tell me to just use a bow instead.

I am leaning towards picking up Exotic Proficiency: Heavy Repeating Crossbow, over Rapid Reload (Light Crossbow). The character gets to run and gun either way, but gets a tiny bit of extra damage, plus more in way of range increment. The character will not be played in enough sessions to make crossbow drops in random treasure an issue. On the surface, this looks like a pretty good choice. Is there something I am missing here?

Also, I was going to pick up Crossbow Sniper. Is this a good feat to pick up, or are there better ways to increase my crossbow-ness?

edit: There is little chance of this character being around long enough to have more than one attack per round. Think low levels.

UglyPanda
2009-11-20, 08:47 PM
Repeating crossbows require a full-round-action after every five shots. I think you get less attacks on average than with a light crossbow because of it. You could always blow another feat, but that's a feat your light crossbow could be using.

Rogues get most of their damage off of sneak attack, so being able to launch more attacks is more important than having a bigger die for damage.

Starscream
2009-11-20, 08:55 PM
MIC has an enchantment for crossbows that makes reloading a Light or Hand Crossbow a free action, and reloading a Heavy Crossbow as move action, by holding 100 bolts in an extradimensional space.

I just mention it because it's only a +1 enhancement, and at higher levels a feat is much more valuable to you than that, so it's something to consider.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-21, 12:47 AM
edit: There is little chance of this character being around long enough to have more than one attack per round. Think low levels.
Then don't bother with worrying about repeating anything. Get a pair of heavy crossbows. You'll have one shot for the surprise round and one shot for the first round of combat, which is all the opportunities you'll reasonably expect to catch foes flat-footed. Do your ranged sneak attack, and then get out of the fray. Find somewhere with cover/concealment and Hide. If somebody gets close enough (see the Move between Cover rule in Complete Adventurer, page 102) then you can attempt to take them out with a blade; otherwise you'll have nothing better to do than reload.

Hit and run. Emphasis on the run.

Eldariel
2009-11-21, 01:37 AM
Note that EWP: Repeating Crossbow makes you proficient in both repeating crossbows. That said, Rapid Reload a Light Crossbow. Seriously. It's only one extra point of damage on average per hit to use a Heavy Crossbow, and for that, if you ever shoot more than 5 shots in a combat, you need to spend a long time reloading.

Not only that, but with Glove of Storing or Ghostly Reload [RoTD spell] trickery, you can dualwield Light Crossbows just fine and fire full iteratives with both weapons along with Rapid Shot. Most of your damage will come from Sneak Attack anyways. If you have the Crossbow Sniper-feat [PHBII], which is perfect for you btw (increases SA range to 60' with a Crossbow; avoids the need of getting too close), you can also add half your Dex to damage, which is better than the Nothing crossbows usually get.

Acanous
2009-11-21, 01:43 AM
Definately take Crossbow Sniper. It is INVALUABLE.

Firstly because it keeps you a safer distance away and second because it ups your damage.

Don't forget that Spot and Listen take penalties from range incriments. If you want to be a Crossbow Rogue, being able to sustain consealment is crucial.

I'd go for Rapid Reload myself.