PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Augment summoning and planar ally

ken-do-nim
2009-11-20, 08:56 PM
Unless I'm mistaken - which could very well be the case - the augment summoning feat doesn't aid the planar ally spells. This means that a bralani summoned via the summon monster spell is stronger than the expensive planar ally version, which is kinda odd. It is especially tragic in the case of the thaumaturge prestige class, which gets a planar cohort and I don't think that stacks with the augment summoning ability they get earlier.

While we're on topic, does the planar cohort gain xp like a regular cohort? Anybody ever play a thaumaturge?

Thurbane
2009-11-20, 09:04 PM
Augment Summoning improves summoned creatures, whereas the Planar Ally spells call creatures, rather than summon them, so you are correct that the feat does not work for Planar Ally.

deuxhero
2009-11-20, 09:10 PM
Given the Thaumaturgist gets it as a bonus feat (and it is calling based), i'd say it fits the RAI.

ken-do-nim
2009-11-20, 09:32 PM
Given the Thaumaturgist gets it as a bonus feat (and it is calling based), i'd say it fits the RAI.

That's what I was thinking.

Mojo_Rat
2009-11-21, 02:08 AM
Admitedly the Thaumaturgist does get it as a bonus feat. But the thaumaturgist also gets Extended Summoning and theres no need for extended summoning on Planar ally spells.

About half the prestige class is good for a conjurer but a wizard doesnt qualify for the prestige cloass.

Acanous
2009-11-21, 02:19 AM
Which book is Thaumaturgist in? I'll give it a readthru and post again with an informed opinion :D

ken-do-nim
2009-11-21, 07:04 AM
Which book is Thaumaturgist in? I'll give it a readthru and post again with an informed opinion :D

Dungeon Master's Guide.