PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Geomancer...

Zovc
2009-11-21, 01:22 PM
I have a feeling the answer is no, but is the geomancer any good?

A Sorcerer or Wizard can dip three levels into cleric (or perhaps use some cheese to spend less levels), then qualify for this class and cast in armor with a d6 and a medium BAB for ten levels. Also doesn't need silly spell components, just a divine symbol.

Yeah, it seems like it's worse than the MT, seeing as it doesn't dual-progress as a class that looks like it was 'supposed to.'

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-21, 01:23 PM
I have a feeling the answer is no, but is the geomancer any good?

A Sorcerer or Wizard can dip three levels into cleric (or perhaps use some cheese to spend less levels)'

Always, always use Ur Priest.

Zovc
2009-11-21, 01:36 PM
Wait a minute, is it possible to get 9th level spells on both casting progressions pre-epic?

(AND have 10 levels of Geomancer.)

Eldan
2009-11-21, 01:40 PM
Probably... the usual cheese seems to involve levels in Sublime Chord and Ur-Priest, then advancing these with a dual-progression class.

ranagrande
2009-11-21, 01:42 PM
Probably... the usual cheese seems to involve levels in Sublime Chord and Ur-Priest, then advancing these with a dual-progression class.

...which makes it impossible to get 10 levels of Geomancer. Unless you're playing gestalt, the answer is no.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-21, 01:43 PM
Which book contains Geomancer?

ranagrande
2009-11-21, 01:43 PM
Which book contains Geomancer?

Complete Divine

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-21, 01:48 PM
I don't like it, though you can use it to become Spiderman.

Melamoto
2009-11-21, 01:49 PM
A Sorcerer or Wizard can dip three levels into cleric (or perhaps use some cheese to spend less levels), then qualify for this class and cast in armor with a d6 and a medium BAB for ten levels. Also doesn't need silly spell components, just a divine symbol.
The real question is whether that is worth 3 casting levels. You can still get 9th level spells and full CL, and the benefit is quite good. Drifts are good too.

I don't like it, though you can use it to become Spiderman.
It doesn't seem like much at first, but see the above comment. If you're just trying to be Wizardy McWizardington and are using things like the Orb spells and Astral Project gratuitously, then it's not for you. If you're just Casterguy, then it's not a bad PrC, even if it feels like you have 3 dead levels.

Zovc
2009-11-21, 02:05 PM
The real question is whether that is worth 3 casting levels. You can still get 9th level spells and full CL, and the benefit is quite good. Drifts are good too.

It doesn't seem like much at first, but see the above comment. If you're just trying to be Wizardy McWizardington and are using things like the Orb spells and Astral Project gratuitously, then it's not for you. If you're just Casterguy, then it's not a bad PrC, even if it feels like you have 3 dead levels.

The fact of the matter is, your Spell Versatility will only do so much for you. You can't cast your level 3+ spells off of wisdom, in armor, or with a holy symbol... and you can't spontaneously cast said spells as cure/inflict/summon nature's ally. (Since that last bit hurts so much! Not really, but I do think that's cool.)

You'd be best off, once you got your Geomancer 10 to go Mystic Theurge, naturally. You might miss a bonus feat, but you'll be able to potentially do more cool stuff with your Spell Versatility. You COULD use your intelligence for your cleric casting.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-21, 03:58 PM
So it's okay in epic ... is that really something to commend it for?

Zincorium
2009-11-21, 04:34 PM
Geomancer pretty much only has value in gestalt games- and it becomes incredibly valuable there, as you can mix/match parameters to your heart's content while getting full caster progression on one side after entering it as your fourth level.

The only way I can see using it in regular games is with Ur-priest, Mayhap starting from Bard. Bard 5/Ur priest 2/Geomancer 3/sublime chord 1/Geomancer +7/Whatever +2. It eliminates pretty much all MAD, you can cast in full plate based off of charisma, and you get a few tricks. Not as good as a Sublime Ur-theurge in terms of divine casting, but doesn't require wisdom or restrict armor wearing.

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 05:06 AM
For the non-min/maxers out there...the geomancer adds flavor. It adds something to the campaign and character. What that is, I don't know. It's different, that's for sure. It's good to be able to cast both arcane and divine spells, but as far as progression goes, mystic theurge is better, but the geomancer has some interesting abilities (if they carried over from the 3e splatbook).