PDA

View Full Version : The Sniper (3.5)

Count Dravda
2009-11-21, 02:55 PM
Now, one of my favorite archetypes has always been the super-cool, BA sniper. However, I have yet to be able to create a really good character who specializes in long-distance precision removal. At close range, rogue and scout are both pretty good. My brother is currently playing a spellwarp sniper who excels in the role. But I don't really want to be a primary spellcaster in this role: I imagine this character using a bow/crossbow. (Support spellcasting such as that of a ranger or assassin).

So I was wondering what feats/classes/race would be good if I wanted to play a sniper who can efficiently deal a great deal of damage with a single shot from long distance. My initial thoughts are a rogue/assassin who uses a crossbow, since you can take Crossbow Sniper for extra range, and then there are a number of assassin spells from there which increase sneak attack range. Any more ideas/stuff I've missed?

-Count Dravda

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-21, 03:01 PM
Warlock with Eldritch Spear

ranagrande
2009-11-21, 03:12 PM
The Cragtop Archer from Races of Stone is perfect for sniping.

Grumman
2009-11-21, 03:18 PM
Take 4 levels in Spellthief. This lets you cast Sniper's Shot, which lets you sneak attack at any range. If you sneak attack a spellcaster you can steal a spell, which you use to power your next Sniper's Shot.

Although it looks like the game is stillborn at this stage, this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=165065) is a pair of dvati snipers I created that I intended to take advantage of this.

tyckspoon
2009-11-21, 03:25 PM
How long distance do you want? A Hellfire Warlock with Eldritch Spear can do respectable damage from up to 250 feet away, which is more than enough for most practical D&D battlespaces. Beyond that, you almost have to go to full on magic; among other things, it's the only real method of applying precision damage from more than 60 feet away.

ranagrande
2009-11-21, 03:39 PM
How long distance do you want? A Hellfire Warlock with Eldritch Spear can do respectable damage from up to 250 feet away, which is more than enough for most practical D&D battlespaces. Beyond that, you almost have to go to full on magic; among other things, it's the only real method of applying precision damage from more than 60 feet away.

Using a heavy crossbow, a fourth level Cragtop Archer (minimum ECL 10), can take a full-round action to shoot something 2700 feet away without penalty.

The damage would pretty much suck though.

GolemsVoice
2009-11-21, 03:55 PM
Crossbow Sniper from Players Handbook II let's you make sneak attacks from farther away, and adds your Dex modifier to damage, but it requires a crossbow and Feapon Focus (Crossbow). It's still just 60 feet, if I remember correctly.

Arbitrarity
2009-11-21, 04:02 PM
Ranger with SpC gets Hunter's Mercy, which lets you make a single shot that is guarenteed to threaten a critical. Combine with Deepwood Sniper for *5 critical goodness.

Eldariel
2009-11-21, 04:32 PM
Snow Owl's Archer Builds (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=194.0) include some decent snipers, though utilizing 3.0 material. The real problem with snipers is that it's just far stronger to shoot a volley of arrows than a single arrow; the game lacks support for One Shot One Kill.

You need lots of magic for that; Hunter's Mercy & True Strike is a good start. Then Power Shot for 20 (Peerless Archer or Energy Bow (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/animefunkmaster/EnergyBow.jpg)), apply Bless Weapon oil and go to town. This gives you critical normal attack with a bow at +20 damage and yeah, Deepwood Sniper or Weapon Master can increase crit multiplier. This can go up to a couple of hundred points quite easily with one shot. But the amount of preparation it takes makes it impractical.

One great way to build a "sniper" (that is, ranged sneak attacker) is to go Rogue/Wizard/Unseen Seer, Hunter's Eye & some other handy bow spells through Unseen Seer (e.g. Hunter's Mercy is also an option), Arcane Disciple Divine Power and start persisting stuff. Persistent Hunter's Eye + Sniper's Shot + Guided Shot and then just Divine Power can make for very impressive Snipes. Also, Craven could help, as could the Energy Bow. But yeah, unlimited distance Sneak Attacks are v. good for sniping.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-21, 05:04 PM
Sniper's crossbow. Lets you sneak attack from 120 feet.. Found it in Ultimate Equipment Guide put out by Mongoose publishing.

other than that, nothing says "BOOM! Headshot!" like the scry and fry.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-21, 05:05 PM
You want to kick butt? It'll take a serious commitment. Get a great crossbow (Races of Stone, pages 153-155) and add the following enhancements:
+1 (to get started)
quick loading (Magic Item Compendium, pages 41-42) (+1 cost)
self-loading (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 116) (+10,000 gp cost)
splitting (Champions of Ruin, page 42) (+3 cost)
Quick loading puts a new bolt in place, and self-loading pulls the string back. Splitting magically doubles the bolt as you fire it, giving you two attack rolls for every attack.

Things you'll need to add:

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (great crossbow) feat
Point Blank Shot feat
Precise Shot feat
castings of Greater Magic Weapon to get up to +5 enhancement
castings of Keen Edge on your bolts (50 each casting)
Crossbow Sniper (Player's Handbook II) feat, to add ½ DEX bonus to damage
DM approval to apply the above to great crossbows

Things that would be nice extras:
sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish damage capability
Telling Blow (Player's Handbook II) feat, to give sneak attack/sudden strike/skirmish damage on any critical hit
castings of Sniper's Shot to let you deal sneak attack damage at any range

You'll have a semiautomatic weapon with a threat range of 15-20, excellent base damage (2d8 +5 +½ DEX, 2x each trigger pull), and maybe you can add precision damage whenever you catch someone flat-footed at range (if you cast Sniper's Shot) or if you make a critical hit.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-21, 05:30 PM
I'm a fan of two levels of fighter for Dungeoncrasher and arrows of battering ram (which cast, on hit, battering ram from SC), forcing a bull-rush and potentially knocking your target into a wall for MASSIVE DAMAGE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHKHKR8x6A).

Signmaker
2009-11-21, 05:35 PM
Hrm. Curmudgeon gives me an idea.

How hard would it be to get Aptitude and Lightning Maces in to this mix? You could have a long-distance sneak attacking sniper with what amounts to a machine gun.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-21, 06:20 PM
If you can, try to hunt down a copy of Untapped Potential, a 3rd party psionic sourcebook. Aside from being really quality (what Complete Psi should have been), it also includes the Marksman base class, which is all about ranged combat. It has three different 'trees' to follow, one of which is the crossbow-focused path. By 20th level, they get a long distance death attack. Pretty sweet.

Danin
2009-11-21, 06:24 PM
There is an alternative class feature for scouts that can be found at www.crystalkeep.com that applies skirmish damage when you don't move and from a distance. It is intended for being a sniper. Combine it with crag-top archer for extra win. It has also been mentioned, but yes, splitting arrows (+2 Bonus) is win.

AslanCross
2009-11-21, 06:29 PM
I'm a fan of two levels of fighter for Dungeoncrasher and arrows of battering ram (which cast, on hit, battering ram from SC), forcing a bull-rush and potentially knocking your target into a wall for MASSIVE DAMAGE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHKHKR8x6A).

That reminds me of those railguns from Eraser.

Try to find a way to cast Sniper's Shot (Lv 1 Assassin and Wizard spell) on yourself. It allows you to make a sneak attack without the range limit. However, it's a swift action to cast, so scrolls, wands and potions are out of the question.

A dip in Assassin should do it. Otherwise, your best bet is Crossbow Sniper.
Scout also has a Sniper ACF that replaces Skirmish, but unfortunately it's a full round action for only +1d6 damage at Lv 1 and doesn't scale up much as you level up.

Ricky S
2009-11-21, 07:06 PM
If you are looking for the more mundane then a Ranger with a great bow mighty +4 (only requires longbow profficiency) and arrows of flight to give you +25% range. You can do do 1d10+4 at a range of 161ft. Not really great at high levels but at low levels certainly takes its toll on any monsters you have to face.

AslanCross
2009-11-21, 07:14 PM
If you are looking for the more mundane then a Ranger with a great bow mighty +4 (only requires longbow profficiency) and arrows of flight to give you +25% range. You can do do 1d10+4 at a range of 161ft. Not really great at high levels but at low levels certainly takes its toll on any monsters you have to face.

Well, at low levels it's awesome when combined with your Favored Enemy especially because any increase of +4 in damage is better than an extra 1d6 (which only averages out to 3.5). It's more reliable in any case.

The Enemy Spirit Pouch from Magic Item Compendium increases your favored enemy bonuses by 2.

Thurbane
2009-11-21, 07:23 PM
Gnomish Crossbow Sight (AEG 3.0) - treat targets as if they were two range categories closer.

Asbestos
2009-11-21, 07:23 PM
Using a heavy crossbow, a fourth level Cragtop Archer (minimum ECL 10), can take a full-round action to shoot something 2700 feet away without penalty.

The damage would pretty much suck though.

And on a flat trajectory of course, since this in D&D.

Harperfan7
2009-11-21, 07:27 PM
Sniper
Pre: Dex 13, Wis 13, PBS, Precise Shot, Far Shot
Benefit: As a full round action, you can apply precision damage out to your weapons range if the target hasn't detected you (includes death attack).

Fizban
2009-11-21, 10:37 PM
Both mine have been done: Sniper's Shot and Hunter's Mercy. Take either a sneak attack class for Sniper's Shot or a class that increases your bow range for Hunter's Mercy. You don't have to cast the spells yourself, just buy a wand and UMD. If you can't buy them then use sneak attack and a sorcerer dip for Sniper's Shot.