PDA

View Full Version : River City Ransom: Best game ever? (The answer is yes.)

chiasaur11
2009-11-21, 03:44 PM
So, I got River City Ransom today.

It is fair to call it incredibly fun. You can pick up enemies and beat up other guys with them, buy stat upgrades, and eat waffles.

There's even a gang called the Generic Dudes.

I love this game so much.

Folytopo
2009-11-21, 05:08 PM
Remember, the best items in the game are books. Knowledge is power!

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-21, 06:24 PM
Barf! (http://mega64.com/2004/07/01/river-city-ransom/)
*spews money*

chiasaur11
2009-11-21, 06:33 PM
It also forms a core inspiration for Scott Pilgrim (Like Catcher in the Rye for the gamer generation, only not awful!)

Man. I love Scott Pilgrim.

Trobby
2009-11-24, 11:50 AM
There is only one thing better than playing "River City Ransom".

And that's playing it with a friend.

There is only one thing better than playing "River City Ransom" with a friend.

And that's beating up a Generic Dude with your friend.

The only trouble I ever had with this game is that jumping and throwing items can be a bit awkward with only two "action" buttons. And also, once you get the Rapid Punch and Rapid Kick moves, weapons become good for nothing but throwing.

Still, insanely fun to play. :smallsmile:

Comet
2009-11-24, 11:58 AM
This thread and I are in agreement.
River City Ransom is fun, fun, fun.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-11-24, 12:09 PM
You should check out the 2 TAS (Tool Assisted Speed) runs of the game. One goes for straight speed. The other is a play around showing super crazy techniques that aren't even possible with normal human reflexes.

chiasaur11
2009-11-24, 05:15 PM
The only trouble I ever had with this game is that jumping and throwing items can be a bit awkward with only two "action" buttons. And also, once you get the Rapid Punch and Rapid Kick moves, weapons become good for nothing but throwing.

Until you get operation: Grand Slam, at least.

Saving up for that one.

SAMAS
2009-11-24, 05:22 PM
And we can't forget River City Ransom EX, the GBA remake that would have been better than the original in every way: More gangs, more weapons, more characters, expanded story (based on the original Kunio-Kun series) AI allies that were pretty smart, and even a character customization ability.

Case in point: this right here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-horedetX4k) The only thing that was modified was the music (and the dramatic slowdown, or course).

Why the "almost", you ask? No 2-player mode :smallfrown:. Sure, you can choose to have an AI-controlled Ryan or Alex accompany you (and with practice, can be tricked out just as much as you), and/or up to three friends or reformed bosses (You can actually get Tex on your team, for example, or the entire Generic Dudes gang (Their leader sticks with you, and the rest of the gang is pretty much cannon fodder until they run out)), but it's just not the same.

NeoVid
2009-11-25, 04:48 PM
Oh man... I played that game a ton at the Nintendo PowerFest. I was dumb to never get it myself.

UglyPanda
2009-11-25, 09:06 PM
It's not too late to get it on Wii Virtual Console or obtain it from the internet.

I love this game. I've loved it ever since I was a kid and played it with my sisters. I still play it every so often whenever the dust is removed from the Nintendo.

The GBA remake was great, but I'm just as annoyed as SAMAS about lack of multiplayer. Four player multiplayer is possible on the GBA, why the heck did they have no multiplayer!?

Anyone ever play any of the other Kunio-kun games? I've played the Basketball and Hockey ones, but didn't get too far in either. The difficulty is nuts near the end.

TheThan
2009-11-25, 09:49 PM
Wow and here I though I was the only one who had this game! this is awesome.

Not to mention the hilarity of attacking the bosses before their done giving their speeches (really funny when their talking about fair fights and all that).

deuxhero
2009-11-26, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't say best ever, but very good=yes.