PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Make My Christmas List

StoryKeeper
2009-11-21, 07:44 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking forward to getting a few games for myself this Christmas, but I'm not really sure what's out there that I might like.

I'm looking for some stuff along these lines:

*An RTS or TBS in which you control a dungeon/kingdom/whatever of monsters. I'd love to be able to see my domain grow and become more fleshed out. If it's all just fighting, that's fine, but bonus points for being able to make something cool within my society.

*Something with a good map/world-maker so that I can create the world how I like.

Suggest away. I'm just not sure what good stuff is out there. It doesn't have to be new stuff either, so if it's older, suggest it and I'll try to find it somewhere.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 08:06 PM
*An RTS or TBS in which you control a dungeon/kingdom/whatever of monsters. I'd love to be able to see my domain grow and become more fleshed out. If it's all just fighting, that's fine, but bonus points for being able to make something cool within my society.

Never played it before, but sounds just like Dungeon Keeper.

warty goblin
2009-11-21, 08:06 PM
Sounds like you need Dungeon Keeper and/or Dungeon Keeper 2.

If you don't require actually controlling the monsters, there's alwasy Majesty or Majesty 2, the first of which features a very good random map generator.

Science Officer
2009-11-21, 08:31 PM
*Something with a good map/world-maker so that I can create the world how I like.

http://autorealm.sourceforge.net/ ?
Haven't used it myself, but it comes recommended.
Same for Dungeon Keeper.

StoryKeeper
2009-11-21, 08:51 PM
Dungeon Keeper looks perfect! Anything similar would be very much appreciated so that I can compare them and decided which I prefer. Is Dungeon Keeper related to the Overlord games by chance?

Keep up the good ideas. Oh, and if I were to get one of the Warlords games, which would you guys suggest?

warty goblin
2009-11-21, 09:02 PM
I've not played Dungeon Keeper, but I believe it to be a lot more base building oriented than Overlord, which has basically none. There's some cosmetic upgrades for your Dark Tower, which are worth buying for the awesome value, but nothing substanitive.

There's not a whole lot in the evil fantasy city builder subsubgenre, although there are a few more titles in the fantasy citybuilder subgenre. Hinterland may be worth a look. I summerized it in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130858)if you are curious.

Some of the more defense oriented RTSs can also be played somewhat like what you are describing. With some creative abuse of walls and catapults when playing as the Dwarves in Battle for Middle Earth II it is quite possible to lock down a map so tight that if the AI so much as farts, he eats four or six hunks of burning rock. I had one game on the Argonath map wherein I had turned half the map into one interconnected Fortification of Doom. It had three seperate Fortresses, triple layered defenses, backwards and forwards projecting bastions, and a fair number of free standing towers to boot.

When it comes to citybuilders in general, all of my favorites are the old Impressions city builder games. Caeser III, Pharoah, and Zeus are absolute classics, although I suspect the only way to get ahold of them at this point is eBay.

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-21, 09:07 PM
Dungeon Keeper looks perfect! Anything similar would be very much appreciated so that I can compare them and decided which I prefer. Is Dungeon Keeper related to the Overlord games by chance?

Keep up the good ideas. Oh, and if I were to get one of the Warlords games, which would you guys suggest?

If you like Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius is nice as well. Overlord and Evil Genius are more considered spiritual successors of Dungeon Keeper, and to be frank, Overlord is much less strategy and more action.

littlebottom
2009-11-21, 09:14 PM
my god nooooo, not dungeon keeper! i played that game to heaven* and back, time and time again, and now it doesnt work on any of my computers, i can get it to HALF work with an emulator, but its sketchey at best, so i cant play it any more, and now i want to, you have all depressed me :smallfrown:

but seriously, yes, dungeon keeper sounds perfect for you.

*it is heaven because going to hell and back would be an everyday occurence and rather enjoyable if you were actually the dungeon keeper:smalltongue:

Narazil
2009-11-21, 09:22 PM
"Your dungeon is filled with yoghurt." Classic.

Mando Knight
2009-11-21, 09:22 PM
Wii's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord lets you construct a dungeon full of Final Fantasy monsters to fight off those nasty adventurers. It's WiiWare-only, so you'll need to have a Wii and Nintendo Points...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 09:42 PM
Wii's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord lets you construct a dungeon full of Final Fantasy monsters to fight off those nasty adventurers. It's WiiWare-only, so you'll need to have a Wii and Nintendo Points...

:smalleek: We get to be the Malboros and Tonberries now?

:smallamused: I NEED THIS GAME

Mando Knight
2009-11-21, 10:24 PM
:smalleek: We get to be the Malboros and Tonberries now?

:smallamused: I NEED THIS GAME

No, you get to be the evil daughter of a Darklord with a Two-Face-wannabe fashion sense who builds a dungeon full of traps and monsters. Not kidding. (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/P6z3RBV52_ZVao1rc-AZjGdBoL7XQhFA)

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-21, 11:31 PM
Dungeon Keeper may be hard to find, but Evil Genius can be bought easily at GoG.com (http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/).
I bring that site up so much, you'd swear I worked there. :p

I'll also suggest Warcraft 3. It's got an amazingly versatile map maker. People've made FPSs, Chess, Platformers.... Hell, Blizzard itself made a racing game.

king.com
2009-11-22, 12:05 AM
"Your dungeon is filled with yoghurt." Classic.

JACKPOT WINNER! "burn baby burn! Disco inferno!"

Dragor
2009-11-22, 12:49 PM
"Your dungeon is at a slant. Angry imps cannot play marbles!"

Sadly, my computer hates DK2 and I can't play it. I can but quote it incessantly. :smalltongue: But yes, in contribution to the thread, I heartily recommend Dungeon Keeper- I'd say 2, but others will disagree, obviously. They both have their merits.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-22, 02:21 PM
"Your dungeon is at a slant. Angry imps cannot play marbles!"

Sadly, my computer hates DK2 and I can't play it. I can but quote it incessantly. :smalltongue: But yes, in contribution to the thread, I heartily recommend Dungeon Keeper- I'd say 2, but others will disagree, obviously. They both have their merits.

"They have a name for keepers like you..." made me laugh.

Also, I like DK2 more as well. That's likely due to having played DK2 later in life (13 years old, not 10 like I was for DK1), so I understood it better.