PDA

View Full Version : Dispel Magic

memnarch
2009-11-22, 01:52 AM
How exactly does the area portion of the spell Dispel Magic work? The targeted portion hits only one object/creature/spell, so is it the same for area dispel? If there are two spells on a creature (say mage armor and cat's grace) would it try to dispel both of them?

If there are X number of creatures, all with two spells on them, will Dispel Magic affect all of the creatures, dispelling spells from them all?

For example; these three have all have Mage Armor (CL 1), and Cat's Grace (CL2) and they are hit with 1 Dispel. How many spells are dispelled? Just the first spell that Dispel Magic affects overall or the first spell on each character?
http://i46.tinypic.com/21jzzg6.png

jmbrown
2009-11-22, 02:06 AM
Summation

Target dispel affects every single spell affecting the target. You make a dispel check for every possible spell on the target.

Area dispel makes a check against the highest spell first and continues to a weaker spell until you make your check in which case you dispel that spell and no more on that target. You do this for each target caught in the area.

Basically, targeted dispel gives you a chance to dispel every spell on a single target. Area dispel lets you dispel ONE spell on multiple targets. In either case, you make a check against every effect but with area dispel you can only dispel one effect per target.

jmbrown
2009-11-22, 02:12 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I missed on your example and I want to use the forum roller. Using your example, let's assume a level 5 wizard tries an area dispel. We'll assume the enemy wizards are level 5 as well.

I cast dispel targeting all of them. The DC to beat their spells is 16 (11 + caster level). First, area dispel targets cat's grace since it's their strongest spell in effect.

Edit: Okay, forum roller didn't want to cooperate. Basically, roll 1d20+6 to see if you beat cat's grace. If you did, dispel magic stops for that target. If it didn't, roll 1d20+6 for mage armor. Regardless if you succeeded or failed, there are no more active spells to affect so dispel magic ends.

memnarch
2009-11-22, 02:21 AM
Ok, thanks for the reply!

Edit; if one person counterspells the Dispel Magic, that only stops it for that person right?

jmbrown
2009-11-22, 02:25 AM
Ok, thanks for the reply!

Edit; if one person counterspells the Dispel Magic, that only stops it for that person right?

No, counterspelling, regardless if you use a readied dispel magic or use dispel magic as a counterspell, both spells negate each other IE never happen.

memnarch
2009-11-22, 02:32 AM
Say one of them has a Ring of Counterspell with Dispal Magic in it. Would that trigger for the area effect of Dispel Magic preventing all of the people from losing spells?

jmbrown
2009-11-22, 02:53 AM
Say one of them has a Ring of Counterspell with Dispal Magic in it. Would that trigger for the area effect of Dispel Magic preventing all of the people from losing spells?

The ring only counters spells that include you as a target. Since you can't target an area spell, it wouldn't work on an area dispel. If they did a targeted dispel on you then yes.

memnarch
2009-11-22, 03:45 AM
Ok then; thanks again!

dob
2009-11-22, 11:36 AM
How about if you cast Spell Immunity to Dispel Magic? Would that help in either the target or area effect cases?

Glimbur
2009-11-22, 02:46 PM
How about if you cast Spell Immunity to Dispel Magic? Would that help in either the target or area effect cases?

Spell Immunity only works on spells that allow SR. Dispel Magic does not. That said, there are Spell Blades from some Faerun book that will catch a targeted spell if it targets you.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-22, 03:08 PM
May I ask where you got/how you made that diagram?

Also, that diagram is not accurate for an area dispel, which must target an intersection and has a 20-foot radius.

memnarch
2009-11-22, 04:04 PM
Inkscape. Was meant to just be a rough diagram. You'll notice there is no scale on there.

Questions have been answered.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-22, 04:40 PM
Edit: Okay, forum roller didn't want to cooperate. Basically, roll 1d20+6 to see if you beat cat's grace. If you did, dispel magic stops for that target. If it didn't, roll 1d20+6 for mage armor. Regardless if you succeeded or failed, there are no more active spells to affect so dispel magic ends.

I believe the dice roller is only usable in the pbp subforums. It's not universal across the whole site.