PDA

View Full Version : How many games do you play at once?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-22, 02:39 AM
Outta curiosity, how many different RPG sessions do you typically play at once?

Personally, I usually top out at two RL sessions at once, but Pbp tends to be a bit less time intensive, so several of those at once is pretty normal.

Shekanzhiokan
2009-11-22, 02:45 AM
For the group I play with, it seems no one wants to end a campaign and just make a new one and randomly go back to the old. So at the moment I'd say four to five.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-22, 02:46 AM
Yeah, my group tends not to actually end campaigns ever...they just get put on indefinite hold until character sheets get lost and people forget about them. Finishing things was never a strong point.

BobVosh
2009-11-22, 02:50 AM
2 sessions a week, 4 games currently.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-22, 03:05 AM
The most I've ever done at once is nine (several of which had no regular schedule), usually one or two though.

sofawall
2009-11-22, 03:08 AM
Currently have two with the same group of people. Myself and another player trade off weeks for which of our two campaigns we're doing depending on who is more busy, what the players want to play etc.

I currently have 1 game of PbP as well, with a couple on/off arenas.

Brendan
2009-11-22, 11:44 AM
At the moment, two, because whenever we have a game day, we get about five minutes of in game time, and end up watching lots of monty python. it is fun, but if we had more than three games, we would probably not play out even a single battle.

Gamerlord
2009-11-22, 11:57 AM
Well, I usually just play 3.5, and 4e every now and then, but know I'm turning my full-fledged focus on the new 4e campaign I'm starting that just had its first session, so now only 1 game.

It's pretty fun.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-22, 12:01 PM
I'm in two, not counting PbP stuff. I'm the DM for one, and a player in the other. They are both with the same general group of people, though there are some members of one campaign that are not involved in the other.

Although I've never played in more than one game simultaneously. I imagine that would be hard to manage.

valadil
2009-11-22, 12:10 PM
Two at once is the most I can handle. I tried playing thrice a week once and all the games lost their appeal. So if I play alternating bi weekly games, I can get up to 4 a week.

GMing counts as double because of prep time. If I run a weekly game I don't play in anything.

Nada Rakshasa
2009-11-22, 12:43 PM
At the moment, my group runs games on Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday nights rotate between two different campaigns, but the Friday campaign is a weekly affair. And then there's the monthly game, which only runs every fourth Saturday.

Before jobs and college, my group was fairly random and inconsistent, but with responsibilities increasing (and some nudging from me) we've gotten a lot more organized.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-22, 12:50 PM
2 PBPs and no real game sadly. Haven't played in RL for a year or 2 now.
DM stopped a campaign at college (I think to focus on studies) and haven't found another.

Acanous
2009-11-22, 12:55 PM
Eh. No more than 2 IRL, 2 PBP and 3 Digital RPGs at a time.

The digital are generally broken up into "Free Time", "Weekends" and "At work", with "free time" being the main and the other two being backburnered.

desmond1323
2009-11-22, 01:07 PM
Two weekly ones, currently. One where I DM on Wednesdays, and one where I'm a player and one of my players DMs, usually on Friday.

Another one of our usual group started a campaign last year, which has only seen one session. It is heavily homebrewed so she really wants to start it up again this year...now that my Saturdays are sadly open, I might end up doing 3 a week.

It's really tough planning around a bunch of people's differing college schedules.

Kiero
2009-11-22, 01:12 PM
One and only one. The rest of my group play other stuff on other days of the week, but I've only got time for one weekly session.

Rhiannon87
2009-11-22, 01:14 PM
Two IRL, one of which I'm DMing; we're doing to be starting a third IRL in the next few months. I've got one PbP. I think three is the most RL games our group could manage, though.

Fhaolan
2009-11-22, 01:30 PM
Uhm... give me a minute... I'm in two semi-independant gaming groups right now, but they each have serveral games going on.

Group 1: Meets once every two weeks, the games rotate depending on who's house we're gaming at that session.

My Campaign -Nominally 3.0 D&D but it's a mishmash of rules from every edition + GURPs and a bunch of other stuff.
Joe's Campaign - 3.5 D&D
Ann's Sci-Fi Campaign - combination of Traveller d20 and Primetime Adventures
Rick's TMNT Campaign - Paladium
Rick's Tomb of Horrors Slaughterfest - Not a campaign as such, it's just something for us to do in the evenings when we're all at the same event.

Group 2: Meets once a month, one campaign goes on hiatus for about a year when the other one takes over, and vice-versa.

Molly's Campaign - Started as 3.0 D&D but converted to GURPs.
Rick's Superhero Campaign - Freeform, no game system at all.

Then there are the PbM and PbP games, and the online MMOGs, which probably don't count.

Ormur
2009-11-22, 01:33 PM
I'm a DM in one campaign with sessions three or four times a month and a player in another campaign with only one or two sessions a month now. Then I'm in one huge group with about 12 people that plays about once every month. So three games and I'm not sated. I'd like to play in a game at least once a week plus being a DM.

Gralamin
2009-11-22, 02:15 PM
I am unfortunately sitting around only 5 games currently. I used to have nine games a week. :smallcool:

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-22, 02:37 PM
about 4 in pbp and about 6 RL different campaings, we usually switch DM so it is logical we have different campaings.

Cespenar
2009-11-22, 03:11 PM
I'm in seven PbP games right now, but that's because some of them are already dying or have slowed down fairly. Even for a time-waster like myself, 2-3 games would easily suffice if they would proceed at optimal speed (1+ posts/day).

Zeta Kai
2009-11-22, 03:18 PM
I am unfortunately sitting around only 5 games currently. I used to have nine games a week. :smallcool:

I'm rather jealous. I am only DMing one group right now. I used to lead two groups most of the time, & for a month I DMed three, but that got pretty schizophrenic, with campaign details bleeding into each other & other weirdness.

In general, I'd say that you can only successfully devote yourself to 1-2 games at a time as a DM. As a player, the sky's the limit as long as you keep your character sheets straight.

Behold_the_Void
2009-11-22, 03:58 PM
I've got two games online that are more of the PbP variety, one solid 4e game that meets every Thursdays at my apartment (I'm not the DM as of a few weeks ago and thus finally get to play), and there are some games running online with the Valor system I'm developing, all playtest games though each have their own various plot and such. If we can get one of the playtests off the ground, I'll be playing in one and running it's companion game.

Kallisti
2009-11-22, 03:59 PM
Two RL game groups, one of which is mostly a game I DM but occasionally runs something else and the other of which is a M&M game. I also DM two different groups for one PbP and play in five others, because PbP is so slow that I can fit a nigh-infinite number:smallyuk:.

Yukitsu
2009-11-22, 04:02 PM
2 in practice. In theory, we're actually running 5 games, but the other three are fill ins for when the main two can't be done.

Myrmex
2009-11-22, 04:08 PM
3 games (1 CoC, 2 D&D), we meet once a week, twice with holidays.

Zilfana
2009-11-22, 04:08 PM
One currently, every tuesday, but there is another game opening for every saturday, but I don't think i'm going to play, i do think i might join a regularly scheduled digital game though, maybe on a Thursday from about 2-6 if anyone needs a player!!!!

Kiero
2009-11-22, 04:50 PM

How did you have a life outside gaming with nine a week?

I've got a full-time job, a marriage, Muay Thai twice a week and the gym twice a week; one weekly session is all I have room for.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-22, 05:01 PM
Currently, 1 3.5, one Shadowrun, and one that alternates between D&D 4e and WoD.