PDA

View Full Version : Finally found it!

Edwin
2009-11-22, 03:11 AM
Okay, so today I finally, after pondering a bit on my grievous situation, namely that I didn't have access to the Oots books, a website that ships them to where I live!

Now the comics aren't particular expensive, namely the prequels. The actual books are somewhat money consuming. But that's not the point. No no, what I was wondering is wether On the Origin of PC's is worth the purchase?

I know Start of Darkness is, I've heard boat loads of good chatter about that one, but the comments on Origins is a bit more mixed.

So, are the two books, mostly pertaining to Origins, good to deliver all the awesome I expect?

Mystic Muse
2009-11-22, 03:16 AM
haven't Read SOD yet. getting it for Christmas.

I don't know exactly what you've heard about OtOoPCs so I'll just say expect the best but prepare for the worst.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-22, 03:19 AM
Origin of PCs is not too bad, it is funny but it pales in comparison to Start of Darkness.

Edwin
2009-11-22, 03:28 AM
Origin of PCs is not too bad, it is funny but it pales in comparison to Start of Darkness.

This is what I heard a couple of times.

Also the reason I doubt wether or not it will be worth the buck, or krone, in my case?

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-22, 03:34 AM
It's worth it as you see things you don't see elsewhere, like Roy's big moment with V, Haley and the thieves guild and Elan and Sir Francois.

Zxo
2009-11-22, 03:51 AM
I have another question: which of the OoTS books (the ones with the strips published online, like Dungeon Crawling Fools) has the best extra content? If I'm going to buy only one of them for now, which one would you recommend? Having OoTS in a readable-in-bathroom format isn't something I'd pay extra for, although it is nice, so it's mainly this extra content that's tempting me. Is it worth it and which of the books is best?

Teddy
2009-11-22, 05:41 AM
This is what I heard a couple of times.

Also the reason I doubt wether or not it will be worth the buck, or krone, in my case?

SoD beats otOoPC with horselengths when it comes to storytelling, but if you like the lighthearted and relatively-unconnected-to-plot humor in DCF, then I recommend you to buy it.

Grifthin
2009-11-22, 05:46 AM
I like both. Origins of the Pc's has some nice info on the characters themselves and to why they ended where they are. Start of Darkness on the other hand gives you GREAT insight into the motivations of the evil doers. I rate start of darkness a little higher than origins.

SadisticFishing
2009-11-22, 06:41 AM
If you've read every comic more than once, it's definitely worth a purchase.

If at just once each... read them again. Then buy it.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-22, 07:12 AM
I have another question: which of the OoTS books (the ones with the strips published online, like Dungeon Crawling Fools) has the best extra content? If I'm going to buy only one of them for now, which one would you recommend? Having OoTS in a readable-in-bathroom format isn't something I'd pay extra for, although it is nice, so it's mainly this extra content that's tempting me. Is it worth it and which of the books is best?

War and XPs, it has the Led Zeppelin scene, the extra Miko scenes, the extra Hinjo and Shojo scenes and some more battle scenes as well as a reference to Taco Night.

Cizak
2009-11-22, 11:17 AM
...as well as a reference to Taco Night.

Where? Can't remember that.

Zelthax
2009-11-22, 11:25 AM
Well, let's see.

@OP: If you are looking for a new (canon) story pertaining to OOTS, and you're on the fence, I would lean towards no. It's a good story, but it is (admittedly) experimental.

If, however, you are like me and are hopelessly addicted to OOTS, and honestly do want to know more about these characters, or want the whole collection, etc, you should buy it. It was the first book (out of all five) that I bought, and it didn't spur me from purchasing the rest. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but mostly because it was entirely supplemental.

@Zxo: Don't Split the Party, obviously! :smalltongue:

I'm going to have to agree with Katana_Geldar on this one. War and XP's has some truely awesome bonus strips BUT:
No Cure's bonus strips help flesh the plot out a little better; War's bonus strips are largely just that, bonus. (Rich as stated that War was the first book he planned from the start to be put into published form, so he managed to plan a little better.)

Rad
2009-11-22, 12:25 PM
Personally I really liked DCF bonus strips. the couple on ninja goblins are really fun and the intro is quite funny too.

HotAndCold
2009-11-22, 01:00 PM
Basically, On the Origin of the PC's is good for the comedy and the character moments, but light on plot. If you want a better understanding of the how the characters tick or where they come from, then it's practically required reading (especially if you're interested in Durkon in particular; there's a reason he's the one on the cover), but if you want a book in which Something Important happens, then you're probably better off giving it a pass.

Forbiddenwar
2009-11-22, 02:51 PM
Agreed with previous post:
Buy both, eventually.
Buy SOD for the story
Buy Orgin for the jokes
Orgin is a lot funnier, deliverying well on the promise of humor.

When you factor in the difference in price ($7 dollars, SoD is almost twice as expensive as Orgin on OOKADOOK) then it becomes a toss up.

Edwin
2009-11-22, 02:54 PM
Well were I live, Origins is 125 dkk, and SoD is 150 dkk.

Which is a very marginal difference. So price isn't much of an issue, per se, though I don't want to spend money on something I regret having bought.

Athaniar
2009-11-22, 03:03 PM
I agree with most others: both books are worth buying if you're a fan of the comic (and why wouldn't you be if you're on these forums?), but Start of Darkness is the awesomest.
Yes, I know that isn't a real word. I don't care.

Kish
2009-11-22, 03:04 PM
On the Origins of PCs is a lot like a collection of strips from the Dungeon of Dorukan era. If you'd pay for the same number of strips, you're unlikely to regret paying for it.

Start of Darkness is something else entirely, in a good way (though it's painful to read).

Euron
2009-11-22, 03:24 PM
SoD was amazing.

Origins was not. I wish I could have my money back. It wasn't even funny, really.

But to each their own. I read this comic for the story, not for the humour, and Origin has practically no (new) story. It filled in some gaps with Roy and his father, but everything else could have been guessed. When Roy and V meet was funny? I guess? It is also very lackluster, length wise.

On the other hand, I recommend SOD whole heartedly to anyone who is a fan of OOTS, and it was worth every penny.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-22, 04:13 PM
Where? Can't remember that.

Comic 415a

Edwin
2009-11-22, 04:38 PM
SoD was amazing.

Origins was not. I wish I could have my money back. It wasn't even funny, really.

But to each their own. I read this comic for the story, not for the humour, and Origin has practically no (new) story. It filled in some gaps with Roy and his father, but everything else could have been guessed. When Roy and V meet was funny? I guess? It is also very lackluster, length wise.

On the other hand, I recommend SOD whole heartedly to anyone who is a fan of OOTS, and it was worth every penny.

Guessed? I was of the impression that Origins deals with the backstory of the PC's.

Now that's hardly something I can guess at, at least not with any degree of certainty.

Linkavitch
2009-11-22, 07:21 PM
OtOootPCs had it's crack-up moments. I would definetely pay for it. (Got it on some sort of interlibrary loan over the internet.)

Can't speak for SoD, as I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.

Hann
2009-11-22, 07:39 PM
I personally preferred NCftPB's bonus materials to W&XPs, mostly because of the recap of the first book. By Elan. In Finger puppet format.

AMJ
2009-11-26, 06:12 PM
From one dane to another: "Næh OtOoPC er ikke god nok medmindre man er nørd." :smallbiggrin:

And going back to international-speak if you do decide to get both. Do read OtoOPC before SoD, or you will be even more dissappointed.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-26, 09:21 PM
You won't be disappointed with Origin as long as you expect it to be nothing more than a companion piece to Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, which is all it really was when it was initially published. It's not very long and the plot is minor, but it's kinda funny and charming all the same. It's the last of the books I managed to track down, so I was far from blown away by it (in stark contrast to SoD, which was SO much better than I would ever have predicted), but since I wasn't expecting anything more than some lightweight DCF-style fodder, I wasn't in any way disappointed either.