PDA

View Full Version : The Linear Guild - Where are they now?

TheBlackShadow
2009-11-22, 09:29 AM
No, seriously, what has happened to the Linear Guild? Out of the remaining members, Nale, Sabine, and Thog, I don't think we've seen them since the Battle of Azure City, several eternities ago. Ever since then, they haven't just faded into the background, more like vanished from the face of existence altogether. I don't think any of the main characters have mentioned them, except those demon guys. All we really know of what they've been doing since then is their intention to visit an ice-cream parlour back in Cliffport. And yet, considering the amount of time that has passed, and the revelation that they are little more than pawns for the Demonic Bureaucracy, there is the possibility of them having been up to some serious sh*t up in the North while everyone else has been faffing around in the South and the West. So quite simply, where does everyone think the Linear Guild are now, what have they been up to, and what does the future hold for them?

Querzis
2009-11-22, 10:11 AM
I dunno where they are but I miss them so much. I want my arrogant bastard, my horny succubus and my psycothic manchild back.:smallfrown: They got the best evil relationship ever, its just a big, evil and insane family.

Come on Rich, we havent seen them for an entire book! I want my Linear Guild back!

Itamarcu
2009-11-22, 10:41 AM
Well, the rich takes his time making the next comic, so I bet it'll be about the LG.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-22, 10:55 AM
Well, the rich takes his time making the next comic, so I bet it'll be about the LG.

What's 'the rich'? :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, I don't follow that logic at all. Rich taking time on a comic could be for any number of reasons; he could be making it extra long, he might be having trouble with a certain detail, he might just need to do a lot of fact-checking, or maybe his illness is simply flaring up.

I don't see how the comic being about the LG could be a cause for the comic taking time, or how the latter could lead to the former.

Allan Surgite
2009-11-22, 11:16 AM
Alternatively; I don't really think it's a good idea to shoehorn characters into comics (destroying any form of dramatic tension that they could carry) simply to please the fans.

The Linear Guild's actions are a mystery to us; I mean, they're either in the North (unlikely), or they're in Girard's Gate, wherein Nale's illusion speciality will surely pay off.

-edit-
Oooooh, TheBlackShadow's a Welshman =O

Pyron
2009-11-22, 11:23 AM
Or ...

The Linear Guild could be the new power mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html) (9th panel).

Remember the cartographer was going to suggest that Haley go ask around in some new kingdom, but we never hear more because Roy entered the tent.

Think of it: "Hail! The Linear Guild Empire!"

:sabine: "Nale! We've conquered one city. We're hardly an empire."
:nale: "Don't spoil my fun!"

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-22, 11:30 AM
Or ...

The Linear Guild could be the new power mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html) (9th panel).

Remember the cartographer was going to suggest that Haley go ask around in some new kingdom, but we never hear more because Roy entered the tent.

I... can see that happening.

Acero
2009-11-22, 12:03 PM
i hope they go N. then we can see a Thog vs. O-Chul

Bibliomancer
2009-11-22, 12:19 PM

I doubt that a) that would happen or b) it would be entertaining if it did. O'chul's mission is reconnaissance, and he would probably just bury them under an avalanche or use another clever tactic to easily best Thog.

DaveMcW
2009-11-22, 02:02 PM
I want my arrogant bastard, my horny succubus and my psycothic manchild back.:smallfrown:

Vaarsuvius, Haley, and Belkar are trying really hard to fill those roles. :smallwink:

TheBlackShadow
2009-11-22, 03:16 PM
Personally, I think its more likely that they've gone to the North to find Kraagor's Gate, seeing as how that was the direction they were heading the last time we saw them. As pawns of the Cooperative Commission of Evil, whose plans are for the gates, it would make more sense that they've gone for either Girard's Gate or Kraagor's, and I feel it would be an interesting twist if the perceivedly incompetent party that the main players had completely ignored for two hundred pages simply up and bagged the big prize while everyone else was faffing around on a completely different continent.

Also, @Allan A. Aokage: In all my time on the Internet, I think this is the first time I've actually run into another welsh person. :smallsmile:

Berserk Monk
2009-11-22, 09:54 PM
Or ...

I'd like to see a Thog Boulevard

No, they obviously do a fusion creating O-Thulg so they can battle the Snarl DBZ style.

Beanie
2009-11-22, 10:47 PM
Or ...

That is surprisingly plausible!

Mariel Dragon
2009-11-22, 11:42 PM
No, they obviously do a fusion creating O-Thulg so they can battle the Snarl DBZ style.

Won't work. Thog would be completely absorbed by the awesomeness that is O-Chul

Pyron
2009-11-22, 11:50 PM

It gets better. At the intersection of Thog Boulevard and Ice Cream Lane is a puppy store.... that's where Nale is keeping Ian Starshine captive!

Won't work. Thog would be completely absorbed by the awesomeness that is O-Chul

Either that or they'll go to the crack pairing thread.

Sewblon
2009-11-23, 12:09 AM
Alternatively; I don't really think it's a good idea to shoehorn characters into comics (destroying any form of dramatic tension that they could carry) simply to please the fans.

The Linear Guild's actions are a mystery to us; I mean, they're either in the North (unlikely), or they're in Girard's Gate, wherein Nale's illusion speciality will surely pay off.

-edit-
Oooooh, TheBlackShadow's a Welshman =O Nale is an enchanter, not an illusionist. OT The will probably show up at Girard's gate, that seems dramatically appropriate.

Gorgondantess
2009-11-23, 12:34 AM
Actually, Nale is a fighter/rogue/sorceror with mostly enchantment and illusion spells.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-23, 02:23 AM
Actually, Nale is a fighter/rogue/sorceror with mostly enchantment and illusion spells.

Has Nale ever cast any illusion spells yet?

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-23, 02:49 AM
It was too crowded with other villains last story arc to give the Linear Guild and room to move, Nale can say it better himself...

:nale: There are already way too many characters involved in the action here...if we stick around here, we wouldn't get nearly the amount of spotlight that we, as major recurring villains, deserve. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html)

Chances are they have beaten the Order to Girard's gate as Nale knows that the Order were going there next (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots03379.html) and also know they will have some time while the order were busy with the battle.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-23, 06:39 AM
It's unlikely that Rich would have given them a "Hey, remember these guys?" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html)-type appearance in the denouement of the last book if he didn't plan on featuring them fairly prominently in the next one. They'll show up before long, almost certainly.

ShinyRocks
2009-11-23, 08:05 AM
I'm still rooting for Hilgya to come back.

ChrisFortyTwo
2009-11-23, 09:16 AM

Not as unlikely as you might think, considering there is a good chance of them being around Kraagor's Gate, which is near the Dwarven Homelands.

Though I doubt she would join back up with the LG...she may "resolve" some of the problems that Durkon had with her to try to win him back...but that is 100% pure speculation.

Spirited Charge
2009-11-23, 09:37 AM
Not as unlikely as you might think, considering there is a good chance of them being around Kraagor's Gate, which is near the Dwarven Homelands.

Though I doubt she would join back up with the LG...she may "resolve" some of the problems that Durkon had with her to try to win him back...but that is 100% pure speculation.

Actually, I don't think that you're that far off. It seems like a completely plosible theory to me!

hymie
2009-11-23, 02:56 PM

:nale: Costa Del Nale. Naleville. Marina del Nale. Thogssburg... Thogsburg?
:thog: Sabine, she has place.
:nale: Thogsburg?
:thog: Little bitty place.
:nale: [Angrily] *THOGSburg*?
:thog: Okay, I wipe it off. Just little town.

Maximum Zersk
2009-11-23, 03:12 PM
:nale: Costa Del Nale. Naleville. Marina del Nale. Thogssburg... Thogsburg?
:thog: Sabine, she has place.
:nale: Thogsburg?
:thog: Little bitty place.
:nale: [Angrily] *THOGSburg*?
:thog: Okay, I wipe it off. Just little town.

Screw Thogsburg, go for Thogtropolis! :smallbiggrin:

Berserk Monk
2009-11-23, 08:29 PM
Screw Thogsburg, go for Thogtropolis! :smallbiggrin:

I know someone who went to Thogtroplis University. Nice school. Good professors.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-23, 08:56 PM
I want my arrogant bastard, my horny succubus and my psycothic manchild back.Vaarsuvius, Haley, and Belkar are trying really hard to fill those roles. :smallwink:

Since when is Haley an outsider from the lower planes?

Herald Alberich
2009-11-23, 09:18 PM
All we really know of what they've been doing since then is their intention to visit an ice-cream parlour back in Cliffport.

Now, wait, what gives you that idea? Look again. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) They were going to go shopping for weapons, magic items, and ice cream. They can do that anywhere. Cliffport was only mentioned because they left their old items behind there.

As Katana_Geldar pointed out, they know about the other two Gates, and that the Order was planning to head to Girard's. Considering Nale still wants revenge, I think it's more likely they headed west to set an ambush for the Order, once they were properly resupplied. We'll be seeing them soon.

TimelordSimone
2009-11-24, 10:41 AM
You know, I could have sworn Nale explicitly stated they were going to head to Girard's Gate.
And then I look back, and he says nothing of the sort.
Huh.
(I still think they'll be there though.)

Psychonaut
2009-11-25, 12:32 AM
I dunno where they are but I miss them so much. I want my arrogant bastard, my horny succubus and my psycothic manchild back.:

Vaarsuvius, Haley, and Belkar are trying really hard to fill those roles. :smallwink:

Heh.

Since when is Haley an outsider from the lower planes?

Hence "trying". :smallwink:

(Can't tell if you're being serious or not, but "succubus" is often used non-literally, mostly as an insulting term for sexually aggressive women.)

Nilan8888
2009-11-25, 12:47 PM
Do you think they're going to bother repleneshing thier ranks again or is it just going to remain at 3?

Considering Durkon is up for some development might we see Hilga's return (it was Hilga right? The original LG cleric)?

I'm guessing Pompey and the Druid have essentially up and left the story, so there's at least 3 openings, right?

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-25, 05:28 PM
Here's another point that occured to me on a re-read. In this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) the fiends talk about "moving their pawns into position" and the "race for the next gate".

There's every chance that Sabine was told by them to get Nale to Girard's gate or at least how important it was to be there.

BatRobin
2009-11-25, 05:43 PM
Do you think they're going to bother repleneshing thier ranks again or is it just going to remain at 3?

Considering Durkon is up for some development might we see Hilga's return (it was Hilga right? The original LG cleric)?

I'm guessing Pompey and the Druid have essentially up and left the story, so there's at least 3 openings, right?

Hilgya. :smallbiggrin:

Larocs Macalar
2009-11-25, 06:06 PM
I always thought that they were planing to do anything against elan and the order after the ice cream parlor...
Now that they know (just a bit) about the gates and stuff, they'll find out someway to put his plans in action. I dunno, Sabine could find some1 in the other plan and invite him to the party.:smalltongue:

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-26, 04:27 AM

That would certainly be a great time for Hilgya to reenter the story, and.....the child that she had as a result of her union with Durkon might be old enough to talk by then.

I think it's likely that Durkon's sense of responsibly might be his biggest weakness, and what better way to take advantage of that weakness than by dropping a new family in his lap at a critical moment? Won't that be fun...?

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-26, 05:15 AM
What's also fun is how bewildered Durkon is around women.

Zappy
2009-11-26, 08:58 AM

I would assume Rich would give them more people. I don't think he'll abandon Nale's fascination with the whole evil opposites thing.
My hope is he pulls a Psion to counter V. I love playing Psions, and the stuff (two little panels) the Giant has done so far has been hilarious.

Bavarian itP
2009-11-26, 09:24 AM
I don't think any of the main characters have mentioned them

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0616.html

Belkar mentions Sabine - implicitely :smallwink:

But seriously, the Order is out to save the world from an unspeakable Evil™. They don't have the time to care about a bunch of losers holding a grudge against them for ... no real reason. And that's good, because the element of surprise is the only chance the LG has against the Order. A prepared Order would mop the floor with the LG in no time.

Nilan8888
2009-11-26, 09:35 AM
Although not very formidible, I'd think at this point the opposite of V would be something along the lines of "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski.

silversaraph
2009-11-26, 10:21 AM
New book, lots of paperwork, impatient people.

Behold, the facts of life! The linear guild is

Dead. D-E-D Ded. (I have just as much of a clue as you guys.)

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-26, 08:29 PM
Although not very formidible, I'd think at this point the opposite of V would be something along the lines of "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski.
I'm reckonin' that would be pretty formidable. Guys like The Dude always come out on top.

Say, friend - you got any more of that good sarsaparilla?

WoodStock_PV
2009-11-26, 08:36 PM
Well.. I don't know where are they now but I do have a guess on what is going to happen with Girard gate: in the final moments of the, possible, battle involving the domination of the gate, the Linear Guild will pull one of their tricks, that will get messed up, as always. This is going to led to the destruction of the gate and the next story arc.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-27, 06:03 PM
Considering V's recent adventure he could have a good planetuoched "dude" as an evil opposite. "You tried to commit genocide. The dude does not abide!"

Gnrlshrimp
2009-11-27, 06:14 PM
I'm actually wondering what they'll throw up against Belkar next, if the LG do return.

Will another member of the kobold family turn up to avenge their relatives...or will it be some other sort of miniature psychopath?

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-27, 11:06 PM
I'm actually wondering what they'll throw up against Belkar next, if the LG do return.

Will another member of the kobold family turn up to avenge their relatives...or will it be some other sort of miniature psychopath?
Should be some sort of giant, really...

Liwen
2009-11-27, 11:33 PM
Either that or they'll go to the crack pairing thread.

Words cannot describe just how horrified I am. This picture might just do the trick however

http://christianityandtheconfusion.blogharbor.com/Fear/Fear%2015.jpg

Man the picture itself is scary.

Spirited Charge
2009-11-29, 11:23 AM
Should be some sort of giant, really...

Nah, I think that Nale is a bit too obsessed with his 'evil opposites' thing to give up on his theme now. Although I don't have any good ideas for a character to fill his place...

CrimsonAngel
2009-11-29, 11:27 AM
Why are you asking us, we know as much as you do.

SaintRidley
2009-11-29, 01:28 PM
Nah, I think that Nale is a bit too obsessed with his 'evil opposites' thing to give up on his theme now. Although I don't have any good ideas for a character to fill his place...

A good aligned half-giant, then. Opposite in size, same in the half-ness (Belkar is a halfling after all).

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-29, 11:39 PM
Nah, I think that Nale is a bit too obsessed with his 'evil opposites' thing to give up on his theme now.
...Which was exactly my point. Big being the opposite of small, and all that.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-11-30, 02:35 AM
LG roster

Nale vs Elan
Sabine vs Haley
Thog vs Roy
Hilga vs Durkon

this much is or should be a given.

i think a good opposite for V would be a MALE sorcerer and a FEMALE psion... twins in fact.

lessee... belkar... im thinking gnome fighter/rogue (dual weild shortswords).

this would put them out numbering the oots, but also might help balance the scales...

now if hilga came in at the right time and rezed miko, then there would be your perfect opposite for belkar. but alas, i think because everyone can think of an extreemly awsome reason to bring back miko... she will remain dead.

BTW i wonder if the thunder blessing applies to the "stickverse", because twin sons of durkon could be a comic in and of itself.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-30, 09:04 AM
everyone can think of an extreemly awsome reason to bring back miko

Nope, I'm drawing a blank here.

Morquard
2009-11-30, 10:16 AM
Hilgya will not be part of the LG anymore, neither will Miko.

I can see Hilgya returning when they go to Kraagors gate, but not before really.

"Durkon we can finally be together, that nasty issue with me being married has been resolved. My dear, beloved husband finally had a tragic and very fatal accident"

Spirited Charge
2009-11-30, 12:38 PM
...Which was exactly my point. Big being the opposite of small, and all that.

...oops. That completely skipped by me.

As for the idea of it being a good alligned Half-Giant, the Half-Giant part makes sense to me, but a good alligned one wouldn't be joining up with the LG (unless forced/tricked...).

Zappy
2009-12-02, 10:07 AM
i think a good opposite for V would be a MALE sorcerer and a FEMALE psion... twins in fact.

That's awesome. Though I don't know if it's fair throwing two against one. Though I could see Nale cheating so why not?

Faramir
2009-12-02, 10:20 AM
Or ...

Very good catch!

Also, remember that neither Nale nor the fiends know *how* Redcloak and Xykon are going to try to use the gates. They might be trying to figure that out.

Maybe even with Girard's assistance.

Asta Kask
2009-12-02, 11:54 AM

An Unsexy Shoed Devil of Peace?