PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) The Metagame Campaign Journal

Anna Molly
2009-11-22, 09:38 AM
CONCEPT & A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF MG 1 & 2

It is common practice among my group of D&D nerd friends to attempt to mentally stat out and class pretty much everything we come into contact with on a day to day basis. From the mundane to the epic, no movie character or English professor is safe from our collective eye. I myself have always liked the concept of self-examination and wanted to create a situation where players would be forced to turn that eye back on themselves. How do they translate onto character sheets?

Thus the original Metagame was born, a 1-shot held in my "haunted" basement about 2 years ago. Everyone started out as level 1 Experts (NPC class in Unearthed Arcana and DMG) with up to 2 flaws and 2 traits (Unearthed Arcana). The challenge was to accurately represent themselves on paper (not as optimized characters, but who they really are - honestly) then be pitted against a variety of fictional monsters and challenges in my basement while physically sitting in my basement. It was an interesting and entertaining experience. but I wanted more out of a concept that cool.

Thus Metagame 2: There is no such thing as Nebraska was born (I'm from Nebraska, by the by). It was held in March of 2009 at our 4th bi-annual GamerKHAAAAAN!, a 24-hour get-together with multiple 4-8 hour 1-shots in several different systems occurring at once all day, and also lasagna. This is not a big, official, sponsored event, but more of a thing among friends that grew to about 30 people - friends of friends and friends of friends of friends, some of them first time players there for the new-comer friendly games aimed at introducing people to this wonderful thing none of us can seem to "outgrow" (ha). Anyway, this MG was far more in-depth. I took on, by coincidence, an entirely new set of players and asked them to stat themselves out ahead of time. When they sat down to "play a friendly game of D&D," they instead fell on their asses onto cobblestone streets in what appeared to be a medieval city. They soon discovered NPCs acted like the stereotypical NPCs of old RPGs, only a few things to say, if anything at all. Think 8-bit Theatre's "Welcome to Cornelia/I like swords" exchange. Yeah, that. The tavern was a haven for adventuring parties, who took numbers to receive quests. The party amused themselves with this for an in-game day, only to realize on the second day that they couldn't remember their names. Each picked their favorite fictional name ("if you were a character in a sci-fi/fantasy book, what would you want your name to be?"). I sadly don't remember them all, but I know for certain we had a Wedge Antilles. Well, that was cool enough with them, but they knew it wasn't right. The new objective was to break out of this strange system before they forgot themselves, and the system didn't like that too much... (more on this soon)

Again, it was a grand old time. The players enjoyed it so much that I decided the MG series could not end there. There had to be more, and I told them so. The ego-stroking that ensued inspired a promise that there would be another installment at the next GamerKhan or possibly even a campaign in the future. Well, that time has come. We are 3 sessions in to Metagame 3: The March of Mephisto, and I have decided to keep the campaign journal here. It worked well for my DM in The Age of Worms campaign he ran, and he actually got some great input and dialog from the GITP forum community. So here I am... and over the next few days I'll be catching up to where we are now, seeing as how I was a loser and didn't decide on this until this morning. It would have been so much nicer to start at the beginning as I went along, don't you think? Regardless, I hope you enjoy. If nothing else, it shall be a nice record of happenings for me.

Edwin
2009-11-22, 09:48 AM
Interesting. Very interesting.

How do you handle leveling, incidentally? Are the players allowed to break what they were originally, and start taking levels of wizard, sorcerer and whatnot?

Anna Molly
2009-11-22, 09:56 AM
Yes they are, and therein lies the allure. Imagine if it were real and a D&D player were thrust into a world where the rules he knows so well become the science of the world he's in. If they hadn't started losing memories in MG2, they'd have probably been at it all day (I leveled them up faster in the 1 shots).

As for what classes are allowed, I encourage them to pick what they feel they "are" or "really would be" ... even though it's kind of tough to judge that sort of thing, we've all taken the "what D&D class are you" quizzes and have a general idea what that means. Thus, party balance takes a second seat to roleplay. We currently have a bard, a tantrist (yes, a tantrist... if you knew her, you would understand), a cleric, and a barbarian.

Edwin
2009-11-22, 10:05 AM
Hm. I wish I was part of that gaming group. Sounds really, really fun.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-22, 10:19 AM
This campaign idea sounds very awesome and I definitely will be watching this.

Maybe you could run a PbP version sometime. :smalltongue:

Anna Molly
2009-11-22, 10:28 AM
Is PbP the forum rp that occurs here (I'm just a pixie, I know not these things)? If so, yeah, I'd probably be up for that.

Edwin
2009-11-22, 10:36 AM
Is PbP the forum rp that occurs here (I'm just a pixie, I know not these things)? If so, yeah, I'd probably be up for that.

Play-by-post gaming. Yeah, it's in another forum. :smallsmile:

Koury
2009-11-22, 10:39 AM

If so, count me in. I am at once envious and jealous of people who get to do awesome things like participate in campaigns like that. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-22, 10:47 AM
Is PbP the forum rp that occurs here (I'm just a pixie, I know not these things)?

That's it.

If so, yeah, I'd probably be up for that.

If you do, make sure you save me a spot when you make the Recruitment Thread! I don't want to miss out on this campaign just because I had something silly like "school". :smallbiggrin:

Anna Molly
2009-11-22, 11:38 AM
I will. :P And I'll give you plenty of warning ahead of time.

EDIT: meant for both Koury and Fiddler

Anna Molly
2009-11-22, 11:39 AM
MG 2 in depth - an 8 hour 1-shot:

I have my notes around here somewhere, but I've moved since March and have no idea where they are currently. I always meant to get a summary typed up for posterity, but stuff happens. I didn't get it done, and I can't recall all the details by now. Consequently, this will be very general.

MG 2 had very little to do with MG 1 aside from the "play yourself in an alternate world" take. The baddie was technically the same, but he was a very different character and didn't even play a major role in the plot. As I mentioned above, the NPCs said very little. "Wonderful day we're having" was the standard, as well as "Praise our Lord, Mephisto" and the like. It was fairly obvious from the get-go something was up with this Mephisto from the chronic happiness and single-mindedness of his worshipers. The PCs concluded that whatever was going on was his doing, and that he was the force to be opposed (and they were half right).

The first critical discovery the PCs made occurred early on when they happened to make some bizarre, humorous pop-culture reference within earshot of a nearby brainless NPC. The blank expression was temporarily gone from his face, and he laughed. Then he continued on his way. They chased after him to provoke further responses but were unsuccessful (I based the results on d20 roles). Later attempts with other NPCs did get reactions. At one point, they got an NPC to rock out with them to some... Aretha Franklin, was it? Gah! So sad that it's not fresh in my mind anymore! There was further evidence on one of their quests that the NPCs didn't used to be so mindless. An Quest NPC (these ones said a bit more and were more interactive) happened to have a note from some unknown person pleading that she remember sitting on his otherwise barren table. She reported that a bard dropped it off, and he comes by all the time looking really sad to play songs for her. It was about this time that the PCs forgot their names and decided it was time to get their act together to avoid becoming like the people they kept encountering.

Now... the city was surrounded by a great wall, numbers on each segment. Since their group number was 37, they had the bright idea to try and break through the segment with their number. It was very clever, especially since it was so dang close to the actual way out. They were following every lead and doing all they could to break out of the system. The people in the tavern that had been giving them quests were not so pleased with this. It wasn't how things went - they were ruining the great order, etc... So the PCs now had various (completely random) things after them. The thieves guild and the city monsters that the PCs had once been assigned to eradicate were all after them now, seemingly in collaboration with the waiter at the tavern. One PC (Kevin) got in a mild argument with the rest of the group and stormed off. He went back to the tavern and told them he would cooperate with them in whatever way they wished, pulling some epic bluff and diplomacy checks and rping it well to boot, throwing in just the right amount of "praise Mephisto"s with his "I see the greater plan" speech and ending with "wonderful day we're having."

The waiter believed him and requested Kevin go try and reason with the rest of the party. He didn't want to kill them, but would go to any means he had to protect the way things were... and he feared they were on the right track. Kevin steered the conversation toward what he needed to do to prevent... whatever. "Reason with them, and if nothing else, steer them away from the walls. Lord only knows what would happen if they broke the 4th wall, our whole system might fall apart." (At this point, Kevin had to step away from the in character dialog to laugh... breaking the metaphorical 4th wall was what got reactions from the NPCs, of course the literal interpretation of it was the answer)

Turncoat Kevin returned to the rest of the party, the waiter sending backup shortly behind and all along the rooftops in case he could not convince his friends to return to their proper operations within the system. He double crossed his original double cross and they all headed toward the segment of wall with the '4' on it. By the time they got there, a mob of NPC peasants was forming not terribly far behind. Ever fiber of the world was trying to stop them from breaking the wall, but they hurried along and made it to the wall with a few rounds to spare before the mob arrived. Jim climbed the wall, and Alex was about to take a swing at it when Sam just suddenly started screaming at it. It was a very rousing speech calling out the entire setup as some pathetic fictional (insert more colorful adjectives here) realm based on a stupid song in the mind of some crazy redhead college student. It was more eloquent than all that, but the whole notion was genius. She broke the 4th wall at the 4th wall where the had gone to break the 4th wall. I like clever... even though I hadn't intended that to be the way it was done, it was better than what I had in mind (brute force). I told them the wall cracked... and out oozed the final boss.

The NPC mob stopped, confused, as this black oozy thing (I forget exactly what type of ooze or ocre stats I used) announced in a booming voice that "THE DARKNESS BIDS YOU TURN BACK!" They attacked it. Allie took a hard hit and fell unconscious (with plenty of wiggle room to bleed for a few rounds). It took them far too long to figure out that this was the self-proclaimed "Darkness" they were fighting, and shooting magic missiles at it might be worth a try (they dealt extra damage). Eventually it was defeated, and the NPCs made a mad rush for... the... wall? They remembered who they were and went home, as did the PCs. On the way out, they recited quotes or sang songs fitting to the occasion (ex. "break on through to the other side" and "you will remember this as the day you almost caught Kevin Scott ------!").

Basically, it was full of jokes and references, the PCs being the main source, yet it was still quasi-serious in that they really needed to get out of there. I wish I could have told it better, as it was then and not now, a fading memory. Anyway, the fun overtone was fitting for a 1-shot. The 1st MG had some fun themes to it as well, but the 3rd, while still carrying a degree of D&D nerd culture references for spice, will be more serious - and a full out campaign, not a 1-shot. It will build on the aftereffects of what the PCs did in the city based in the surrounding lands/county.

FINAL NOTE: The song Sam mentioned in her speech is "The March of Mephisto" by Kamelot. The PCs walked by the church at one point, and it was playing from within. No, the campaign was not based on it originally, but it is where I got the name for the "baddie," and I played it for them during a break. It actually kinda fit, so they assumed it was all based on the song from the start.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-23, 03:13 PM
That sounds beyond entertaining.

I really wish I had been part of that. :smallsigh:

Edit: I hope you don't mind, but I really feel the need to make my own game based on this idea.

Still interested in playing in yours if/when you do it though, and if you, for whatever reason, don't want me to, just tell me and I'll stop. 'k?

Anna Molly
2009-11-29, 10:59 PM
Ah, glorious feasts... I have returned. We didn't have a session last week to allow for holiday festivities, so I've got until Friday to get caught up with the intro and the first two sessions here.

Fiddler: I don't mind at all. Let me know where the thread is once you get that going. I'm curious to see what others would do with this concept, and I'd like to follow it if that's alright with you.

I'm full from foods-giving and intend to do little more than lay around all day, so below is just the lead up to GamerKhan. Even though I only ended up with one group of 4 players (lots of interest but too many time conflicts and illnesses for most), I included the part about the possibility of multiple groups. It would be interesting to apply that same idea to an overlapping game here. Depending on what happens over the next few weeks, that's a definite probability.

Pre-MG3: My Khan listing and note to those interested

Timeslot: 4pm-8pm
- Type of gaming system: 3.5 D&D
- Campaign description: This will be the intro for the Metagame 3 campaign, which is a followup of Metagame 2: There is no such thing as Nebraska. 4th walls were broken, darknesses were magic missiled, and NPCs were stereotyped. The victorious players dispelled the evil trapping souls in this false existence before losing themselves to it... or did they? Once again, you awaken in this shadow of a world with a chance to earn some rp-heavy glory.
- Number of players: 5-6, preference given to previous Metagamers
- Other requirements for players: Level 1 NPC. Yes, you're once again playing yourselves.

---------------------
Yes, there will be a time slot for Metagame at GamerKhan 5, but Metagame is not a one-shot (just to clear up any confusion). The slot at Khan will be dedicated to the intro and/or planning and character creation for Metagame Campaign: The March of Mephisto. The intro will most likely be rp only.

The (Anti?)Heroes:
Those of you who participated in Metagame 2: There is no such thing as Nebraska at GamerKhan 4 have a spot automatically reserved if you want it. I don't want to be exclusive, though; it would be nice to open it up to some new people too. And yet as of 9/18 at 10pm, 7 out of 8 of you MG2ers have expressed definite interest. The 8th has yet to respond. That's a lot for one campaign, even if we keep it MG2 vets only. Then again, I am sending you out in a big world with some big things happening. By "sending you out," I literally mean there are no tracks I'll make you follow. There are NPCs with agendas, some baddies, and an open map big enough for 2 adventuring parties. We can decide who goes where based on interests or availability - we'll talk about it at Khan. If you have ideas/suggestions in the meantime, feel free to shoot me a message. Tentatively, I'll take up to 12 people total. When the campaign ball gets rolling, the groups will meet for gaming at different times. Ambitious? Oh yes, but I want to put a lot into this campaign. I'm already in love with it and cackling with ideas.

MG2ers playing: Kevin, Sam, Allie, Jim, Alex, Justin, (Kyle???), (Tim???)
OTHER PEOPLE: if you're interested, let me know.

Character Building Guidelines:
You are playing yourself, level 1 NPC classes in the DMG 3.5. You're probably an Expert.
No worries, there will be opportunities for advancement. What class is YOU?
Exact guidelines to be announced later, but they will be similar to the ones we set for MG2 (click here (http://x67-raven.livejournal.com/27473.html) for those). You're welcome to start planning or building, but be aware that they will likely be some minor changes.

And here's a little premise/teaser for you if you care to know it. Feel free to skim and/or ignore this section completely.
Of course you remember MG2 and played a major role in the events that transpired (unless you're new, in which case the others will have to fill you in in character when you randomly pop up in a new world - or not, playing it blind is okay). The 4th wall was breached with only the best intentions, but all was not as it seemed and there have since been.... "complications." In a dream, an injured scribe with singed clothing places a scroll at your feet before vanishing into the mist. The images faded when you awoke, but the document's words have been burned into your memory:

How foolish we were. Without the personality fragments to keep the malevolent one sated, he once again became self aware. You must understand we only enchanted the city to save our world from his evil. His ultimate aspiration was godhood, and the epics could not allow that to happen. Yet his power exceeded us all. The only way we saw to stop him was to make him believe he had accomplished his goal. It took the combined magics of all our greatest mages to create the false land within another false land. The inner was called The Borrowed City. Borrowed souls were to visit in their dreams and fantasies and gradually fade away, leaving only an imprint of the people they represent behind. To them, time is fluid here... or it was. I fear much has changed since we lost ourselves to the lie we created. How the time transfers now, I know not. At the time they were made, our sacrifices were righteous; but no penance will forgive the evil our own imprints committed while our minds slumbered for what we once hoped would be eternity. Some of the visiting souls did not fade so quickly and grew suspicious. We ended them lest the dark one notice an anomaly - may they find peace. It was only a matter of time before a group of these 'anomalies' bested us and broke our noble lie. I don't understand how it happened or why it had the effects it did, but the fall of the 4th wall released the fragments and connected the remainder of The Borrowed City to the outer lands. Thus we awaken, but so does the great evil we sought to contain. I imagine it was inevitable. We warred, all of us against him, and we weakened him. Few of us survived the confrontation. Those who did are weakened far more than he. The city is burning, and he has taken The Empress. All we have left to us now are our recovered identities, regret, and memories of them. Oh, yes, we remember them.... but then again, so does he.

You have been summoned.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-12, 09:14 PM
Dear oh dear, I was waiting all this time for you to update, and the update slipped past me. How did you do it? :smallamused:

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133388) is the OOC thread for the campaign. Not sure if I can do the concept justice, but I'll damn well try.

Also, subscribed. You're not abandoning this on my watch, and it's not slipping past me again.