PDA

View Full Version : |-|elp_my_spacebar_is_not:workin6

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 02:00 PM
6uys,_for_some_reason,_some_keys_on_my_keyboard_su ddenly_stoped_workin6.
Between_t|-|em_t|-|e_spacebar.

|-|elp?

EDIT:_Aparently,_te_alt_key_is_also_broken.

Alteran
2009-11-22, 02:07 PM
It sounds like it might be a problem with the actual keyboard. Is it possible to get your hands on another?

Edit: Preferably, another one of yours or a friend's. It would be bad to buy a keyboard and then find out that the problem somehow lies with your computer.

Coidzor
2009-11-22, 02:07 PM
Right. First thing's first.

Have you cleaned out your keyboard, ever?

What about recently?

Have you tried getting alcohol and q-tips and poping the individual keys off to clean out underneath 'em and see if something got into it there?

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 02:12 PM
Nope,_aven't_cleaned_it._But_its_rater_new,_about_ six_mont_old.
Just_cecked_it,_it's_not_dirty_at_all.
Ri6t_now_I_cant_6et_anoter_keyboard.

Miss Nobody
2009-11-22, 02:14 PM
Right. First thing's first.

Have you cleaned out your keyboard, ever?

What about recently?

Have you tried getting alcohol and q-tips and poping the individual keys off to clean out underneath 'em and see if something got into it there?

I don't think it's because something got under the keys. It happened to me a few times, but it only affected a key or two, not a whole bunch of them.

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 02:17 PM
And_ow_did_you_solved_it?

CrimsonAngel
2009-11-22, 02:17 PM
Here, try typing this: hhhhhello gggohvggg ggghhhhhgggg'''''

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-22, 02:18 PM
I had this same problem a year or two ago, and had to get my keyboard replaced. Until then, I know there's a manual keyboard program or something like that on most computers. I just don't remember where it is. >.<

Shades of Gray
2009-11-22, 02:21 PM
"keyboard_su ddenly"

There's a space between the "u" and "d" in "suddenly"...

Gorgondantess
2009-11-22, 02:21 PM
Is it a wireless keyboard? Sometimes the signal for a few keys just isn't very effective, and you have to type the letter several times.
Even if it's a wired keyboard, I'd try that. And then, definitely pop up the keys and see if there's a physical problem. I highly doubt it's a problem with the computer rather than the keyboard, though.

Miss Nobody
2009-11-22, 02:23 PM
And_ow_did_you_solved_it?

Cleaning the keys worked for me then, but your keyboard seems to have some other issues.

Doesn't windows have a virtual keyboard somewhere? I could swear I was told about once, but I can't remember how to activate it.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-22, 02:24 PM
Cleaning the keys worked for me then, but your keyboard seems to have some other issues.

Doesn't windows have a virtual keyboard somewhere. I could swear I was told about once, but I can't remember how to activate it.

Virtual keyboard! That's the term I was looking for!

It definitely does. Makes typing slow as all hell, but...better than nothing, right?

Don't remember how to access it, though. >.<

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 02:26 PM
"keyboard_su ddenly"

Yes!_Tere_is_a_space!
But_I_ave_no_idea_of_ow_I_did_it!

And_it's_not_wireless

Miss Nobody
2009-11-22, 02:29 PM
Virtual keyboard! That's the term I was looking for!

It definitely does. Makes typing slow as all hell, but...better than nothing, right?

Don't remember how to access it, though. >.<

I think it was somewhere in control panel. But there are a lot of things in control panel, so this doesn't help too much in finding it.

SilentDragoon
2009-11-22, 02:31 PM
If you have windows XP, go to start, programs, accessories, accessibility, On-Screen Keyboard to activate a point and click keyboard.

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 02:32 PM
I found the virtual keyboard! But the adobe programs are a pain to use without the alt key!

bluewind95
2009-11-22, 02:35 PM
Is it a laptop? The way some of your other keys are behaving makes it seem like the num lock is kind of stuck.

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 02:42 PM
No, it's not a laptop. Just tried the num lock, still the same.

Alleine
2009-11-22, 02:45 PM
The one time a keyboard of ours did that it was because my mom had spilled her tea on it. My dad cleaned it out, but a few of the keys never worked again, as to be expected when liquids and electronics meet.

bluewind95
2009-11-22, 02:49 PM
Ohh... not a laptop. So much for that.

Have you checked the keyboard layout? Maybe it's messed up...?

If not any of that... then perhaps your keyboard is very much busted, I'm afraid.

rakkoon
2009-11-22, 02:53 PM
I have the same thing when I switch keyboards but then it is simply numlock which takes over the letters....

Ikialev
2009-11-22, 03:29 PM
> < - space. Copy, and paste when needed.

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 03:34 PM
Well, my keyboard is working now, I fixed it with violence.

Astrella
2009-11-22, 04:20 PM

Did you threaten it with a knife or a gun?

Blaine.Bush
2009-11-22, 04:26 PM

Ah, the everyman solution.

DwarvenExodus
2009-11-22, 04:29 PM

The Violence might have hit the num lock key. That was the problem with mine a while ago :smallredface:

Edit: By the way, well done with the substitutes.

Rutskarn
2009-11-22, 04:32 PM
Actually, while we're all here, my laptop's been having problems lately.

Every month or so, the enter key will just fritz out on me. I'll need to hold it down for like 10 seconds before it registers, or else it just won't work at all. It'll fix itself after a few minutes. Any ideas?

Dispozition
2009-11-22, 04:34 PM
"keyboard_su ddenly"

The forums have a word break. If you string a whole heap of letters together it automatically spaces them. For example...

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggg

Partof1
2009-11-22, 05:07 PM

I do that alot. My disk drive doesn't open without a stiff smack from the heel of my hand in the right spot, and the Wii gets a tad clingy, and needs to be hit lightly.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-11-22, 05:28 PM

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/Belkarisawsome/violence.jpg

SurlySeraph
2009-11-22, 09:42 PM

A lot of the time keys get unseated, unlocked from the position they're supposed to be in. Jamming them back down fixes it. I assume that's what happened here?

Coplantor
2009-11-22, 09:56 PM
Smashed it against the desk and threatened him about kidnaping his kids.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-22, 10:02 PM
Smashed it against the desk and threatened him about kidnaping his kids.

I lol'd:smallbiggrin:

Deathslayer7
2009-11-22, 10:09 PM
i had a different problem with my disk drive. I would have to give it a good smack on the side to make it open. :smallbiggrin: After a while, it learned and never game me problems again. But then my heatsink had to go and fry itself, so now i need a whole new computer. Hadn't had one since mid July. Now that Black Friday is coming up... Hooray!:smallsmile:

Jack Squat
2009-11-23, 06:32 PM
Actually, while we're all here, my laptop's been having problems lately.

Every month or so, the enter key will just fritz out on me. I'll need to hold it down for like 10 seconds before it registers, or else it just won't work at all. It'll fix itself after a few minutes. Any ideas?

Does it feel like anything's stuck under the enter key? Did you try cleaning it?What laptop (supposedly this is a common problem for some newer Dell Inspirons)? Have you checked the connection?