PDA

View Full Version : Medani Trueseer (Dungeons and Dragons v.4.0, Eberron Player's Guide, page 73)

realbombchu
2009-11-22, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone. I'm going to be playing a half-elf in my new game. We're going to try Eberron v.4.0, and I would like to be a member of the Medani dragonmarked house. Ever since I ran "Chimes at Midnight," I've wanted to play a character that belonged to that house.

Problem is, I want to join the ranks of the trueseers at the paragon tier, the mark of detection isn't enough for me, but the paragon path makes no sense! I looked at the official errata, and didn't see any corrections, either. Is there something I'm missing?

I'll explain what I mean. First, I hate the picture, but that's beside the point. The first three abilities, Trueseer Action, Blindless Sight, and Medani Targeting don't seem like much to write home about if you're not a rogue, but that's fine. My problem is with the powers.

The first power, Medani True Strike, needs the weapon keyword, I think, because most Medani inquisitives aren't sorcerers or wizards, and the weapon keyword would fit better. Also, the effect line seems a little confusing. I can see invisible creatures until I hit or miss with this power? So can I hold off on attacking and just keep seeing them? I'm not sure what they mean, I guess. And the attack is Charisma or Wisdom +4, but it doesn't improve at level 21. So as you become more experienced, you become worse at using this power?

Medani Foretelling, the second power, seems a little useless, because it doesn't say whether you can roll twice and choose, or not.

Disruptive Premonition is confusing, too, because it does have the weapon keyword, but doesn't use the weapon keyword for range, or use a weapon for the damage.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I just really want to play a marked Medani, but I don't know if this class was printed wrong or not. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or info on this, please let me know. Thanks. :)

RebelRogue
2009-11-22, 05:06 PM
The Path features surely are not limited in use to rogues! Yes, rogues get extra mileage for CA, but the +2 to hit is great for just about anyone.

As for the Medani True Strike power, it lacks both the Weapon and Implement keywords, and I suspect the +4 bonus is there to even things out.

Medani Foretelling essentially lets you roll an extra attack roll for the turn. If it's a bad roll the power is wasted and you can just roll as normal for your attack, but if not, you may use it instead of rolling the attack. Sort of a backwards reroll power, but still good.

Gralamin
2009-11-22, 05:26 PM
Do note, that these paragon paths are not exclusively what houses have to offer, and you can always homebrew something (If your DM allows that sort of thing). Updating the Medani Prophet from Dragonmarked would easily work, for example.

realbombchu
2009-11-22, 05:36 PM
As for the Medani True Strike power, it lacks both the Weapon and Implement keywords, and I suspect the +4 bonus is there to even things out.

Yeah, but it should increase to +6 at 21st level, or it will lose some of it's usefulness.

RebelRogue
2009-11-22, 05:40 PM
Yeah, but it should increase to +6 at 21st level, or it will lose some of it's usefulness.
Agreed; it will grow worse as you level up. A change to +6 for Epic would not be unbalanced IMO, but ask your DM.

Aron Times
2009-11-22, 07:44 PM
Not all dragonmarked characters are members of their House's paragon path. It's better if you think of the paragon paths as unique fighting/spellcasting styles that integrate the power of the dragonmark into their techniques.

Besides, the main benefit of having a dragonmark is being able to cast the rituals associated with it. Dragonmarked characters can cast these rituals without the years of training required to learn Arcana or Religion and Ritual Casting.

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-23, 12:44 AM
Not all dragonmarked characters are members of their House's paragon path.

Indeed not. It would be completely nonsensical if every powerful Kundarak banker, guard, or clerk suddenly became an acrobatic thief-catcher-slash-cat-burglar upon their transition into the Paragon tier.