PDA

View Full Version : Does a Polymorphing wizard need AC (or Dex)?

rockdeworld
2009-11-22, 05:10 PM
^Topic. I'm planning to play a Rogue 1/Wizard 11 with polymorph (incidentally - I can polymorph both myself and my familiar into a 10-headed Hydra? Sweet.) for the first time, and my plan is to spend battles in the shape of something else. Hence the question: do I really need AC-boosting equipment, or even a decent dexterity score, if I'm going to spend a substantial amount of time in a shape-shifted form?

Building my character, I was looking at an Orange Ioun stone (for crafting and spell reasons), but it seemed not-cost-effective, so I decided to spend all my money on a Rod of Quicken Metamagic instead.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-22, 05:21 PM
You will want that Ioun Stone at some point.

jmbrown
2009-11-22, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't completely ignore it. There are always moments when you get hit by a dispel or get ambushed before you have a chance to cast a spell. Intelligent enemies will eventually pick you out of the crowd as word spreads that a "dude who shapeshifts into beasts of legend" is just around the corner and every single enemy targets you from the get go.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-11-22, 05:29 PM
You need to be prepared to fight without being able to polymorph.
At the simplest, the DM might not let you reliably rest up between burning off your polymorph spells. At the most complex, you might get hit with dispels and counter-spells.

Mtg_player_zach
2009-11-22, 07:17 PM
You could also still, and silent a wraithstrike to hit with each of your 10 heads (assuming no ones or crazy touch AC).

But statwise I would make it a point to keep a GOOD con since you will keep your hitpoints when you polymorph.

FinalJustice
2009-11-22, 08:00 PM
I'd not say you need AC equipment, but don't rely on Polymorph as your only defense. Consider it an extra powerful defense in your wizard's arsenal. Mirror Image is lower level, goes a looooong way and, well, it even 'stacks' with polymorph. Miss chances also go a long way, so does Wind Wall.

Slayn82
2009-11-22, 09:16 PM
Con > Dex in this case. I know, because once i had a wizard of this kind, and he died and was reincarnated as an Elf:smallfrown: I was not happy. The hp you carry from your original form, but not the modifiers for skills and saves; Dex gives you no profit, unless you are not polymorphed and needs badly to win the iniciative.

My tips: keep a few spare polymorph scrolls at hand, use the spell of transfering spells to the familiar, give it dispell magic and lesser globe of invulnerability, and make him keep readied actions against dispell magic. The Ioun stone of absorbing magics may be useful in the familiar too with readied actions.

Usually, i never morph in something that is not humanoid or giant, because of the inability of most creatures to cast spells. That said, good game, may you tear your enemies apart:smallsmile: Tell us what they taste like after...

rockdeworld
2009-11-23, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll drop the rod for some equipment (including the orange ioun stone I guess), and make sure to give him some good Con.

holywhippet
2009-11-23, 10:12 PM
The problem with a low AC wizard (even a polymorphed one) is if the DM decides to arm your enemies with alchemists fire and/or oil flasks. These target touch AC and if you get set on fire you'll have to make concentration checks to be able to cast.