PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Minis

Partof1
2009-11-22, 06:33 PM
Anyone in the Playground play this? It's a skirmish game, like DDM, but Star Wars.

warty goblin
2009-11-22, 06:38 PM
I liked the original DDM rules better personally. I've looked at the Star Wars ones, and the deemphasizing of morale and command didn't endear me to them at all.

Also, DDM has dragons. That must count for something*. Plus I've a much, much larger DDM collection- approaching 900 figures at last inventory. It hasn't really grown in a while now though, since I don't have anybody around who plays anymore, and my RPG group usually does Star Wars or Serenity, neither of which are settings known for their draconic inhabitants.

*Namely my sweet, sweet, original issue Large Red Dragon.

Partof1
2009-11-22, 06:44 PM
We have Krayt Dragons. And a guy named after them, if that helps.

Mando Knight
2009-11-22, 11:15 PM
Hm... on the one hand, my AT-AT "mini" guards the door to my room... on the other, my colossal Red is on the shelf above my bed...

I've got a couple dozen or so minis, mostly from the SW sets... though I wouldn't mind getting a few more Mandalorian/Republic/Imperial units or the new D&D minis with their not-as-random assortment and increased availability of Dragonborn...

warty goblin
2009-11-22, 11:31 PM
Hm... on the one hand, my AT-AT "mini" guards the door to my room... on the other, my colossal Red is on the shelf above my bed...

I've got a couple dozen or so minis, mostly from the SW sets... though I wouldn't mind getting a few more Mandalorian/Republic/Imperial units or the new D&D minis with their not-as-random assortment and increased availability of Dragonborn...

I always liked the old randomness of DDM. Well, so long as I remembered to buy by at least the half case from reputable online sources. That way I had very, very good odds of not getting dupe rares, and they hadn't been cherry picked to death. I got all the fun of not having much of a clue what I was getting, combined with protection from getting two gorram rare dwarves or some such.

Off the storeshelf though they'd be so cherry picked over that it was hard to get the good, large rares. I was mostly a skirmisher true enough, and quite often the large rares sucked for that game*, but the big ones were just so cool.

*See: Otyugh, all ogres except for the Ogre Ravager, most dragons post LRD and LSD, and a hell of a lot of others.

Zevox
2009-11-23, 12:20 AM
I used to play DDM, but stopped after it became not worth it to keep up with buying the new sets when compared to how often I was actually able to play the game. That was a few years ago now.

Never played SWM, though being at least as big of a Star Wars geek as I am D&D geek, I probably would've liked it. But it never seemed worth getting while I was playing DDM (cost of playing two such games and all that), and I've not had the urge to get back into minis games since I stopped playing DDM. I get plenty of entertainment elsewhere.

Zevox

Athaniar
2009-11-23, 07:20 AM
I don't play Star Wars or D&D Miniatures, but I like to look at them on the official site. Does that count?

Closet_Skeleton
2009-11-23, 08:35 AM
I have a few for the RPG but don't play the miniatures game.

Partof1
2009-11-23, 10:14 PM
I don't play Star Wars or D&D Miniatures, but I like to look at them on the official site. Does that count?

I....suppose it's..something. :smallconfused: