PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] As Much Casting as Possible, as SAD as possible.

Zovc
2009-11-22, 06:37 PM
The Geomancer (Complete Divine), to me is a broken prestige class... so, I'd like to see it put to good use.

I call the class broken because it doesn't "work" before epic levels, and it doesn't seem to be intended to work with epic levels.

The Geomancer is a full-casting progression PRC, so the designers were "on the right track," but it still doesn't seem to add up. One can, as an example, qualify with Cleric 3/Wizard 3.

The Geomancer's 'primary' class feature is "Spell Versatility X" (0-9, progressing a step each level). Spell Versatility lets you take 'parameters' from one spellcasting class and apply it to another, or vice versa. Without getting into too much detail, this essentially means that our Cleric 3/Wizard 3 can cast his Level X wizard spells off of wisdom, or his cleric spells off of intelligence (there's other cool stuff to it, as well, such as "clerics don't get ASF, so I won't as a wizard," too).

A Cleric 3/Wizard 3 casts 2nd-level spells. Let's pretend a Geomancer 10 split his progression among his Wizard and Cleric classes. So, we're casting as a Cleric 8/Wizard 8 now and we've got 4 (C3/W3/G10=16) class levels left before we're level 20. So, I can't put that cool Spell Versatility 9 to good use, can I?

The class DOES show up in the same book as Ur-Priest, if that's worth anything. Still, 9 levels of Ur-Priest gets you 9th level divine spells, but you don't have much room left to get Wizard 3, meet the 2nd-level divine spell requirement, and get 10 levels of Geomancer Pre-epic. Did they expect people to cheese out with Sublime Chord, too? Can you even do that in 20 levels?

Anyways, that's a really big tangent meant only to help me propose this:

I want to make a character with 9th level arcane and divine casting following the standard gestalt rules in Unearthed Arcana (I.E. one prestige class at a time, classes like Mystic Theurge are banned). Sure, that's easy (Class 20//Class 20 or Class 17/Cheese 3//Class 17/Cheese 3), but the catch is I want you to use Sorcerer (or Sublime Chord) and Geomancer, and build as SAD (Charisma) of a character as possible. Sure, you don't need to be much more SAD than having two 9th-level casting progressions off of Charisma, but it can get better than that, I'm sure.

Any 3.0/3.5 Wizards book is free game. Anything else is likely 'banned,' unless it is accessible freely online. Class alignment restrictions must be met.

Doc Roc
2009-11-22, 06:54 PM
I think you might find the exact text of tainted scholar interesting.

Fishy
2009-11-22, 08:08 PM
You can get Spell Versatility 9 working: you just have to cheat. A Wizard 1/Cleric 1 with Sanctum Spell or Improved Sigil: Krau or the hack of your choice can get 2nd level arcane and divine spells while only dropping two caster levels from one side. As a Bonus, Sanctum Spell lets you use Spell Versatility N on N+1th level spells.

Glimbur
2009-11-22, 11:37 PM
Gestalt Wizard//Archivist is all Int all the time... mostly. Also gets you access to any divine spell if you can find a scroll of it. Archivist is from Heroes of Horror.

Thurbane
2009-11-23, 12:29 AM
Illumian Wizard/Beguiler/Archivist/Ultimate Magus/Mystic Theurge?

erikun
2009-11-23, 12:51 AM
I thought that Geomancer only progresses one spellcasting class at a time? Even if I'm wrong, I am still quite sure that it's not a 10/10 progression.

As others have mentioned, Wizard/Archivist is basically all INT. If you're already giving up caster levels, then Wizard 3/Archivist 3/Mystic Thurge X is the way to go. There's also Sorcerer/Favored Soul (Complete Divine) for pure CHA, not to mention Wizard 3/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus X (Complete Mage) if you can somehow get both classes to run off the same stat.

For psionics, there's the rather sexy Cerebremancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/cerebremancer.htm) for the Wizard/Psion and Sorcerer/Wilder. Even a Wizard/Psychic Rogue! Heck, if your DM will change the requirements a bit, you could have a Cleric/Ardent or Cleric/Psychic Warrior.

Book Wyrm
2009-11-23, 12:57 AM
I think the trick with the Geomancer is that he has full casting progression for any "existing class."

So lets say I go Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 4/Geomancer 10. Technically Mystic Theurge is an existing class, so I can use my Geomancer levels to advance its casting progression, which advances both Wizard and Cleric. And that is in no way completely optimized. Still only end up with Wizard 17 and Cleric 17. Ur Priest would definitely help out.

Also, as a side note, some of those Drifts can be pretty powerful, like the Stage 4 leopard one that grants Pounce. I think this class was meant for druids so the drifts could replicate the loss of Wildshape.

sambo.
2009-11-23, 01:13 AM
on a slightly different path:

if you can get your DM to agree to double Precocious Apprentice cheese, you can enter Noctumancer at level 3.

so: Sorc1/Shadowcaster1/Noctumancer10/mystic theurge 8.

9th level Mysteries and 9th level Arcane spells, all Charisma based (except you will need an int of 19 to cast 9th level mysteries, but the save DC's etc are Cha based).

on the plus side: with Capture Magic's Shadow, you're unlikely to ever run out of spellslots.