PDA

View Full Version : A Freaking Amazing Surprise

Beelzebub1111
2009-11-22, 07:30 PM
I was just utterly shocked by something my players did.

In an eberron game I had a lieutenant of Tree Viper trying to escape over the border to start a new life. in order to do this, they had to break out of prison. She was in disguise (DC 29 to see through it) and it seemed like she was going to make it. There was a murder on the lightning rail, and she was set up to take the blame. One of the PCs managed to see through the disguise (STUPID GOD-DAMNED ELVES! I swear that player is a dice witch...)

Then...instead of letting her get sent back to prison... they offered her a deal. They decided to let her work out the rest of her sentience helping out the party. I was shocked. Utterly. I had her accept, only because I couldn't think of any reason she wouldn't, but I don't know what to do now...The party now has a henchman that's a fourth level warlock.

Of course, being somebody that values freedom now (since leaving Tree Viper) more than anything else, she will try to escape any type of bondage as soon as the opportunity presents itself. but what should I do with her 'till then? I mean, I don't want to seem as a DMPC, but she's kind of powerful...I figure I can sneak a wand of CLW into her inventory since the party is lacking any healing capabilities at all, but I want to know what you think.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-22, 07:32 PM
What level are all of them?

Beelzebub1111
2009-11-22, 07:33 PM
5 fourth level, 1 at third.

I would also like to know how I should handle experience...

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-22, 07:49 PM
Whichever character made the deal, or the most Lawful character takes responsibilty as a henchman. Give him/her the character sheet and let him/her play. Experience is divided as if they had a new character.

ocdscale
2009-11-22, 07:52 PM
Whichever character made the deal, or the most Lawful character takes responsibilty as a henchman. Give him/her the character sheet and let him/her play. Experience is divided as if they had a new character.

I disagree, because as stated, the Warlock is not completely loyal to the party.

Edit: Play the Warlock as a DMPC. In character, the players should instruct the Warlock about the terms of her little work release. How she should act in combat, etc.

If the party has provided the Warlock a compelling reason to stay with the group (forsaking her freedom), just give her over to a player as a Henchman.
Otherwise, play her to escape as soon as it seems like she can do so safely (this may be in the first combat, while the party has more pressing things to take care of).

Hashmir
2009-11-22, 08:01 PM
If you can come up with a reason to limit her power, then you can force her to sit on the sidelines and do something small but helpful. Then you can retain control of the character without running a DMPC, and it lets you pull an escape or betrayal whenever you want.

You could also just run it as a DMPC for a short time, if you can do it without irritating the players -- yes it can be done. You just have to avoid stealing the players' thunder, and you will probably just do whatever the players ask her to do anyway.

Thematically, it makes sense to run her yourself, because she isn't one of the party members; she's an NPC. A good NPC, but an NPC nonetheless. Thus, I don't think you should just hand over a complete character sheet, no matter what.

Bibliomancer
2009-11-22, 08:09 PM
When they get to Sharn wherever they're going, have her walk away in the middle of the night.

Unless they actually think to post watch at the inn they're staying at (remember, if they don't say that they have someone stay up to watch, they don't). If they do, wait a session or two, then have them make her part of the duty roster and have her steal some valuable equipment and leave. It's not like they're going to drop their current quest to follow a random prisoner.

If they have a warforged give her the run feat and then just book it. They don't have fly spells yet. Also have her buy a scroll of expeditious retreat. Remember: since they haven't seen her character sheet they don't know equipment or what her feats are.

By the way, I play Eberron and have 10 Eberron supplements, but I've never heard of Tree Viper. Who are they? And what country is this in?

Kylarra
2009-11-22, 08:11 PM
Don't let them run her.

Assume that she'll participate as little as possible, ie no using consumables, no voluntarily placing herself in danger. If combat arises, she'll place herself as far away from the danger as possible and probably only fire eldritch blasts. Regardless of which invocations she has, she won't volunteer to use them or become any more useful to the party beyond the bare minimum of her contract. And yeah, have her wander off at some point if they aren't making a concerted effort to keep track of her.

Beelzebub1111
2009-11-22, 08:16 PM
By the way, I play Eberron and have 10 Eberron supplements, but I've never heard of Tree Viper. Who are they? And what country is this in?
Tree Viper is in the ECS book under Breland. (subsection "The King's Forest")

Well, thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of going with NPC for two levels (or the one year of service that she was roped into, whichever comes first). Because then she'll be able to invoke Walk Unseen and get away with the best chance. She'll probably take skill focus disguise...

Bibliomancer
2009-11-22, 08:26 PM
Tree Viper is in the ECS book under Breland. (subsection "The King's Forest")

Well, thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of going with NPC for two levels (or the one year of service that she was roped into, whichever comes first). Because then she'll be able to invoke Walk Unseen and get away with the best chance. She'll probably take skill focus disguise...

Ah, I had forgotten about that.

Why not just walk away? It would give the PCs a good lesson in the difficulty of monitoring someone.

Beelzebub1111
2009-11-22, 08:31 PM
Ah, I had forgotten about that.

Why not just walk away? It would give the PCs a good lesson in the difficulty of monitoring someone.
Well, I do want to reward their mercy...They can seem rather bloodthirsty at times.

sofawall
2009-11-22, 08:32 PM
When they get to Sharn wherever they're going, have her walk away in the middle of the night.

Unless they actually think to post watch at the inn they're staying at (remember, if they don't say that they have someone stay up to watch, they don't). If they do, wait a session or two, then have them make her part of the duty roster and have her steal some valuable equipment and leave. It's not like they're going to drop their current quest to follow a random prisoner.

If they have a warforged give her the run feat and then just book it. They don't have fly spells yet. Also have her buy a scroll of expeditious retreat. Remember: since they haven't seen her character sheet they don't know equipment or what her feats are.

If experience has taught me anything, stopping the quest that will save the world to chase down a random prisoner is exactly what most groups will do.

I mean, did the Campaign of Dingleberry ever actually finish a quest? We always sort of got interrupted, or flew away, or something.

Lysander
2009-11-22, 08:39 PM
You know, it doesn't have to be a black and white she serves them loyally or betrays them type of situation. She can be grateful to them and want to escape, and try to find a way of living up to both emotions. Maybe have her work for them loyally for a while, and then sneak off the night after she saves someone's life leaving a note "Now we're even"

Bibliomancer
2009-11-22, 08:45 PM
If experience has taught me anything, stopping the quest that will save the world to chase down a random prisoner is exactly what most groups will do.

I mean, did the Campaign of Dingleberry ever actually finish a quest? We always sort of got interrupted, or flew away, or something.

To be fair, it was an Elmyra situation, and I wasn't really sure where the campaign was going at that point. Besides, you could always smack them with plot or have someone kick down the door relating to the original mission 15 seconds after they go looking for her to get them back on topic.

Besides, other groups might not be that bad.

You know, it doesn't have to be a black and white she serves them loyally or betrays them type of situation. She can be grateful to them and want to escape, and try to find a way of living up to both emotions. Maybe have her work for them loyally for a while, and then sneak off the night after she saves someone's life leaving a note "Now we're even"

She could just walk away. In character, leaving as soon as possible, maybe with a thank-you note and a complimentary scroll left behind, makes sense.

ocdscale
2009-11-22, 09:05 PM
She could just walk away. In character, leaving as soon as possible, maybe with a thank-you note and a complimentary scroll left behind, makes sense.

Agree, if she simply disappears during the night, you should probably leave some kind of reward for your players.
Does she have any information that your players might want? Maybe location of a lightly defended cache of goods?